News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on June 18, 2014, 12:28:11 AM
I always read it as being from Frederick the Great: Artillery adds dignity, to what would otherwise be an ugly brawl"
http://www.military-quotes.com/artillery%20quotes.htm

It's always unsourced as a Frederick the Great quote, though.  I edited a military maxims book, and tried to track down the "adds tone" quote in either version, and the furthest I could trace it was Punch.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

Quote from: grumbler on June 18, 2014, 07:15:03 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 18, 2014, 05:21:58 AM
Could you guys please stop arguing about something none of you have any kind of practical experience in? Or move it to it's own thread. There is a limit to inane childish nerdery even here. Jeesh.

Somebody woke up on the rag this morning!  :lol:

Actually, we argue issues on which people don't have any personal experience all the time here, yourself included.  I think that your wits are simply addled by the thinness of the air on top of that high, high horse.

Pages upon pages about medieval sword fight? IN A THREAD OF A FANTASY TV SERIES?!! Please.

Admiral Yi

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 18, 2014, 08:16:46 AM
Makes sense to me. :mellow:

IDK. It reminded me of this bunch of guys at my previous job sitting not too far from me, in constant daily arguments over anything from flying a plane (which they had no idea about) through history (which they had even less idea about) to who knows what.

It just annoys me to off-topic the GOT thread with this asshatery  :blurgh: Open a new thread to see if Berkut or grumbler has a longer sword-dick, I do not care.

Admiral Yi

Lighten up bro.  Hijacking threads is what we do.  We're a largely unmodded forum where people can say anything they want.

Grey Fox

You are missing the Forest, Yi.

This is a brilliant play by Tamas to derail the derailing.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 18, 2014, 08:55:52 AM

Or, you are trying to derail the derailing by derailing my re-railing.

Josquius

All this talk about rails....trains rule.
██████
██████
██████

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on June 18, 2014, 08:11:43 AM
Pages upon pages about medieval sword fight? IN A THREAD OF A FANTASY TV SERIES?!! Please.

:huh:  Okay, change the number of posts per page to something like 50, and then you will have fewer pages.

I don't know what you are OTR about.  Discussions about medieval weapons in a fantasy show set in the equivalent of the historical medieval period sounds about right to me.  it is true that none of us have personal experience with medieval weapons, but then none of us have personal experience with kings, or magics, or Westeros, or pretty much anything else in the show.  It makes no sense to arbitrarily select weaponry as the one possible topic about the show on which personal experience is required to post.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tamas on June 18, 2014, 08:56:48 AM

So, Hammers & Maces > Swords, am I right?

Unless you have a Spren, than the form is irrevelent.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Quote from: grumbler on June 18, 2014, 09:10:49 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 18, 2014, 08:11:43 AM

:huh:  Okay, change the number of posts per page to something like 50, and then you will have fewer pages.

I don't know what you are OTR about.  Discussions about medieval weapons in a fantasy show set in the equivalent of the historical medieval period sounds about right to me.  it is true that none of us have personal experience with medieval weapons, but then none of us have personal experience with kings, or magics, or Westeros, or pretty much anything else in the show.  It makes no sense to arbitrarily select weaponry as the one possible topic about the show on which personal experience is required to post.

It bores me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on June 18, 2014, 09:04:13 AM

If a train ran over someone it would certainly slice through them.

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 18, 2014, 09:30:34 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 18, 2014, 08:56:48 AM

So, Hammers & Maces > Swords, am I right?

Unless you have a Spren, than the form is irrevelent.
swords still have the weight and moment to cause damage through armor, plus it was a pointy bit. Where axes and hammers have the edge (Pardon the pun) I imagine, is in the ability to pull down shields.   

See tamas, I can join in on the faux expert fun :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 18, 2014, 09:59:49 AM
Quote from: Tyr on June 18, 2014, 09:04:13 AM

If a train ran over someone it would certainly slice through them.

IDK man. Trains are blunt.