And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 17, 2014, 12:59:14 PM
Quote from: grumbler on June 17, 2014, 12:51:12 PM
really/  You think Errol Flynn et al sucked at sword fighting in the movies, and that GoT is the one doing it right? 

No of course not - they are all doing it wrong because the purpose is to show action and dramatic effect, not realistic technique whatever that is.

Errol Flynn and Basil Rathbone fought for dramatic effect.  Kit Harington and Rory McCann (and their stunt doubles), alas, seem to have been trained to fight for comic effect.

Not sure what "realistic technique" is, either, nor why you bring it up.

Not, btw, that my complaint is more than a nit.  Still, it wouldn't cost the show any more to have the actors and stunt doubles at least look like they know how to use a sword.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on June 17, 2014, 01:07:50 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 17, 2014, 12:59:14 PM
Quote from: grumbler on June 17, 2014, 12:51:12 PM
really/  You think Errol Flynn et al sucked at sword fighting in the movies, and that GoT is the one doing it right? 

No of course not - they are all doing it wrong because the purpose is to show action and dramatic effect, not realistic technique whatever that is.

Errol Flynn and Basil Rathbone fought for dramatic effect.  Kit Harington and Rory McCann (and their stunt doubles), alas, seem to have been trained to fight for comic effect.

Not sure what "realistic technique" is, either, nor why you bring it up.

Not, btw, that my complaint is more than a nit.  Still, it wouldn't cost the show any more to have the actors and stunt doubles at least look like they know how to use a sword.

You are not sure what a realistic technique is but you are sure that these guys didnt use it.   :hmm:

Norgy

Like anyone outside of fencing (the legal kind, not the car radio kind) knows how to fight with a sword these days.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Norgy on June 17, 2014, 01:35:58 PM
Like anyone outside of fencing (the legal kind, not the car radio kind) knows how to fight with a sword these days.

You mean rapiers dont you?

If we had sword fighting as an olympic sport then we might have a better idea.

Norgy

I guess that's what they use in fencing, yes.

"Welcome to the broadsword tournament of the 2018 Olympics. Unfortunately the winner from last time can't join us, on account of being beheaded in the qualifiers"

crazy canuck

Quote from: Norgy on June 17, 2014, 01:46:40 PM

"Welcome to the broadsword tournament of the 2018 Olympics. Unfortunately the winner from last time can't join us, on account of being beheaded in the qualifiers"

:lol:

but think of the ratings

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 17, 2014, 01:23:40 PM
You are not sure what a realistic technique is but you are sure that these guys didnt use it.   :hmm:

I am?  Wow.  I didn't know.  Thanks for telling me what I am sure of. 

Any other straw men you want to toss out there, while you are at it?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Actually, there is a sport saber dueling sport, using a blade that both "cuts" and "pierces' (though dulled so that it hopefully does neither).  Folks using these would probably be the best modern people at fighting using weapons like those in GoT, though GoT's weapons are heavier.

It is apparently not uncommon to break bones in sport saber matches.

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 17, 2014, 01:44:09 PM
Quote from: Norgy on June 17, 2014, 01:35:58 PM

You mean rapiers dont you?

If we had sword fighting as an olympic sport then we might have a better idea.

What's this "we" shit? :unsure:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Norgy

Quote from: grumbler on June 17, 2014, 01:59:10 PM

Actually, there is a sport saber dueling sport, using a blade that both "cuts" and "pierces' (though dulled so that it hopefully does neither).  Folks using these would probably be the best modern people at fighting using weapons like those in GoT, though GoT's weapons are heavier.

It is apparently not uncommon to break bones in sport saber matches.

I didn't know that. I thought there were electronic sensors and points awarded.

11B4V

Quote from: grumbler on June 17, 2014, 01:59:10 PM

Have you ever watched any matches?

Epic fail for hollywood.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Minsky Moment

I'm surely no expert but seems like a bad idea to turn your back to a sharp object, armor or no.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Berkut

One thing I do find kind of odd about medieval sword fighting in movies (even most of GoT) is that they might as not be wearing any of that armor. They almost never actually use it, and fight are determined in most cases by factors having nothing to do with armor.

The one exception to this, which I liked very much, was when Mormont was fighting that blood rider, and took his shot on his armor and killed him.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 17, 2014, 02:46:49 PM

I'm surely no expert but seems like a bad idea to turn your back to a sharp object, armor or no.

Yes, you are most likely correct.

Razgovory

Armor never works in the movies cause you can't see the people in them.  A hero needs to be seen.  I don't know what a medieval battle would look like.  I've never seen one.  I imagine that it would like something like an enormous pushing match.  Thankfully artillery was invented to give some dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017