News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: The Larch on May 05, 2014, 06:26:53 PM
- Tommen's coronation, Cersei & Margaery, plus Cersei & Tywyn, none of that is in the books.
I don't think it is shown the way it was shown, but it is at the very least mentionned that there is a crowning.

- Littlefinger and Sansa's arrival at the Vale I'm not really sure about, but I don't remember the scene being in the books, at least the way it unfolds.
It's about the way it is written in the books, witht he aunt being all nice at first, then increasingly bipolar jealous.
- Arya and the Hound's scene isn't either, to the best of my memory, but could be and it wouldn't change much.
Hmm, there's something similar to that.

- The whole beyond the wall story, the assault on Craster's Keep and the release of Bran and his party aren't in the books either.
Well, IIRC, Bran&co were supposed to nearly meet Jon Snow in a few places, the last of them being directly at the wall, where they were using some secret passage shown to Sam by Coldhands, and happen to stumble upon Bran&co.

I figured that, due to budget considerations, this part has to be rewritten.  They reused the Craster's set, so they save money and they move Coldhands to another season, just like they moved Bran's friends.
It still works in the story and it's cheaper to produce then recreate an entire new set for the Wall.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Quote from: grumbler on May 05, 2014, 05:43:38 PM
This is also the first episode where I thought the direction was inferior.  Lighting was poorly used at Crastor's Keep, and the coronation just looked like maybe two dozen people were there (which there probably only were, but the director has to get around that).
Yes, the lighting was pretty terrible. I had to close my curtains to make out what was going on.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on May 05, 2014, 11:55:06 PM

I think the plan was to take them into the woods and then kill them. If Jon found the bodies, then the North would know that Theon didn't kill Bran. And if he didn't kill Bran then he also didn't kill Rickon.
Good point.  I suppose he could have killed Bran and started a fire, but that would be risky.  Still, leaving the Reeds alive pretty much ruins the plans to keep Bran a secret.

I suppose it is possible that he wanted to interrogate Bran about Rickon, as Tim suggested, but since he obviously has supernatural tracking abilities (I mean, how could he have possibly known how to find Bran to begin with?) 'm not sure I buy that one.  Plus, if he is going to take one of the party for interrogation, Bran is the one least likely to do him much good.  The Reeds are likelier to know where Rickon is, and are self-propelled.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

The show is now suffering with the Imp sidelined.  One consolation is that the actor playing Dani has made a very good transition from powerless girl to regal Queen.  She saved that episode.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grey Fox

:lol:

I don't get the last picture.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

I believe that was Saul Goodman's "bodyguard" on Breaking Bad. He was also a frequent source of comic relief.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on May 06, 2014, 06:20:22 AM
but since he obviously has supernatural tracking abilities (I mean, how could he have possibly known how to find Bran to begin with?) 'm not sure I buy that one.
He might not have known at first, he only wanted to gain Jon's confidence, in case Bran were to come to him.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

As to Joffrey not wanting to be an actor and going to school instead- I recall the girl who played harmoine in Harry potter said the same. She vanished for a little while but now crops up in a fair few things (haven't seen much of the other main characters...)
██████
██████
██████

Queequeg

Quote from: Tyr on May 10, 2014, 10:33:35 PM
As to Joffrey not wanting to be an actor and going to school instead- I recall the girl who played harmoine in Harry potter said the same. She vanished for a little while but now crops up in a fair few things (haven't seen much of the other main characters...)
And never graduated from any of the half-dozen colleges she attended. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Liep

Why would she? For most people college is a means to an end, and she has already secured that end and much more.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

grumbler

Quote from: Liep on May 11, 2014, 02:20:15 AM
Why would she? For most people college is a means to an end, and she has already secured that end and much more.

It is rather sad that there apparently are people who really do believe that college is just a means to an end.  :(  You probably missed out on what should have been the best three or four years of your whole life.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

Quote from: grumbler on May 11, 2014, 06:14:05 AM

It is rather sad that there apparently are people who really do believe that college is just a means to an end.  :(  You probably missed out on what should have been the best three or four years of your whole life.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure she's still having the best three-four years of her life...and then some.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ed Anger

Quote from: Josephus on May 11, 2014, 06:58:01 AM
Quote from: grumbler on May 11, 2014, 06:14:05 AM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure she's still having the best three-four years of her life...and then some.

I'd give her a good 5 minutes.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive