And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on April 21, 2014, 07:27:46 AM
Tommen was recast ey? I thought so.
I'm really not sure about this kid. Aging up the other characters...yeah, it works. But Tommen....the whole thing about him in the books is he was a lovely innocent little kid who just wanted to play with his cats and would be nothing but a pawn. Here he's a teenager, you'd think someone that age would be a bit more forthright.
And I suppose it puts a different spin on his relationship with Margery...she can control him not because she controls the supply of kittens and candy but because she controls the boobs.

[spoiler]Isn't he gonna get killed pretty soon too, or am I misremembering?[/spoiler]
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HVC

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 21, 2014, 08:15:13 PM
I'm really not sure about this kid. Aging up the other characters...yeah, it works. But Tommen....the whole thing about him in the books is he was a lovely innocent little kid who just wanted to play with his cats and would be nothing but a pawn. Here he's a teenager, you'd think someone that age would be a bit more forthright.
And I suppose it puts a different spin on his relationship with Margery...she can control him not because she controls the supply of kittens and candy but because she controls the boobs.

[spoiler]Isn't he gonna get killed pretty soon too, or am I misremembering?[/spoiler]
[spoiler] he's alive. his sisters maimed though, IIRC. Though he's a sweet innocent kid, so he'll probably die a horrible death.[/spoiler]
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: garbon on April 21, 2014, 08:08:00 PM
Remembering things from Hot Fuzz...:x
it was an ok movie. Better than the third in the makeshift trilogy
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ed Anger

Quote from: HVC on April 21, 2014, 07:56:05 PM
Just found out the Hound is the "Yarp" guy from Hot Fuzz. The illusion as been shattered, I can't look at the hound the same way again.

:lol:

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

Quote from: HVC on April 21, 2014, 08:18:19 PM

[spoiler] he's alive. his sisters maimed though, IIRC. Though he's a sweet innocent kid, so he'll probably die a horrible death.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Maimed? Was that seen 'on screen' (err....on page?) I can't recall that [/spoiler]
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Quote from: Tyr on April 23, 2014, 04:28:45 AM

[spoiler]Maimed? Was that seen 'on screen' (err....on page?) I can't recall that [/spoiler]
[spoiler]It was, she got hurt during a Dornish scheme in the last book iirc.[/spoiler]
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on April 23, 2014, 04:28:45 AM

[spoiler]Darkstar is of the Night![/spoiler]
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Solmyr

Google Maps -like map of the world where you can see the movement of all major characters: http://quartermaester.info/

Josephus

So without giving stuff away.

I'm mid way through book 4 now.

Are they showing stuff that isn't until Book 5? :huh: Are they merging Books 3,4,5 in the series?

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grinning_Colossus

Yeah, they're showing certain events north of the Wall and (I think) in Essos that don't happen until book 5. Most of 4 and 5 won't happen until next season, though.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Valmy

Quote from: Liep on April 23, 2014, 05:07:59 AM
[spoiler]It was, she got hurt during a Dornish scheme in the last book iirc.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I thought that was waaaaay back at the end of Feast For Crows.  That was why Doran locked his daughter up in the tower[/spoiler]
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on April 27, 2014, 10:38:53 PM
Yeah, they're showing certain events north of the Wall and (I think) in Essos that don't happen until book 5. Most of 4 and 5 won't happen until next season, though.
...and some things which aren't in the books at all.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

crazy canuck

It feels like they are rushing now.  But I am not sure why.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 28, 2014, 12:59:21 PM
It feels like they are rushing now.  But I am not sure why.

Maybe because they're halfway through the TV series and not halfway through the story?

I agree that they are accelerating the pace, but it makes sense to do so; the characters are established and now it is more straightforward storytelling.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grallon

I stopped reading the books after book 3 so it feels like they're showing stuff I don't remember.  That last image of the white walker - are there more than conjectures as to what they are?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel