And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 08, 2014, 09:38:55 PM
They've said eight I believe.

Eight?  I've only seen mention of them committing to seven.  Where did you hear 8?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on April 08, 2014, 09:44:18 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 08, 2014, 09:38:55 PM
They've said eight I believe.

Eight?  I've only seen mention of them committing to seven.  Where did you hear 8?

Well let's see they are going to finish book three and do a bit of book for this season.  I figure season 5 and six to finish books four and five.  Then at least two seasons for the final two...but since they are going to be massive doorstops if ever written I figure three.  How could it be seven?  Unless one is a twenty episode season or something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

Your reasoning, while devoid of commas and something I agree with, doesn't answer my question.  I did, however, find an old source that says they want eight.  I still think that would be too few.  Nine would likely suffice.

http://screenrant.com/game-of-thrones-final-season-3-8/
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

katmai

Quote from: Habbaku on April 08, 2014, 10:14:03 PM
Your reasoning, while devoid of commas and something I agree with, doesn't answer my question.  I did, however, find an old source that says they want eight.  I still think that would be too few.  Nine would likely suffice.

http://screenrant.com/game-of-thrones-final-season-3-8/

From EW back in march.

QuoteThe seven season goal-line has been floated in the media before, but the writer-producers of the acclaimed fantasy hit series says they're firmer than before that three more seasons sounds about right.

"I would say it's the goal we've had from the beginning," Benioff says. "It was our unstated goal, because to start on a show and say your goal is seven seasons is the height of lunacy. Once we got to the point where we felt like we're going to be able to tell this tale to its conclusion, that became [an even clearer] goal. Seven gods, seven kingdoms, seven seasons. It feels right to us."

Seven sounds okay to HBO, as well. Or perhaps eight. "I'm expecting to be sitting down with Dan and David to talk season 5 and we'll talk about how things are looking," says HBO programming president Michael Lombardo. "We're all very mindful that they're having conversations all the time with [author George R.R. Martin]. I think they do feel bullish enough that there's enough story to deliver through season 7. I hate to sound greedy, but our longest shows have gone 7 or 8 seasons, so seven is a nice long run for us."
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Habbaku

That's the commentary I was referring to when I made my first post questioning Tim.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

katmai

Quote from: Habbaku on April 08, 2014, 11:17:21 PM
That's the commentary I was referring to when I made my first post questioning Tim.

Don't confuse me with your facts Habbu!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Grey Fox

Back in season 1, they were speculating 20 seasons.

Assholes are backing down once again.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

I think that planning for seven seasons is about right.  They really should remain independent of the number of books, because in a proper publishing atmosphere a lot of what makes it into print in the books would be edited out.  Pacing is the single most important attribute of a book (or series of books) and TV shows (or series of TV shows), and Martin has gone from a master of pacing to a tyro of pacing.  More than eight seasons is likely to be boring.  Writers and producers start to burn out after about six seasons.  Stargate SG-1 is an excellent example of a show that went on too long. Six good seasons, a coupla okay ones, and then the descent into crap.

At some point, probably after this season, HBO needs to divorce their story from Martin's and start to work towards their own ending.  They can, and should, include those slices of Martin that are relevant and exciting, but should let him work towards his own ending at hos own pace.  By the end of season 4, they will have filmed probably 80% of the JRRM stuff worth filming in the whole series (including the stuff he plans to write).  HBO doesn't need him any more.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Yes, I'm very curious about how the show will diverge.
So far they've remained quite amazingly close to the books, I've never seen something closer, but there's no way forward like that...
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on April 09, 2014, 06:54:07 AM
At some point, probably after this season, HBO needs to divorce their story from Martin's and start to work towards their own ending.  They can, and should, include those slices of Martin that are relevant and exciting, but should let him work towards his own ending at hos own pace.  By the end of season 4, they will have filmed probably 80% of the JRRM stuff worth filming in the whole series (including the stuff he plans to write).  HBO doesn't need him any more.

Agreed.  I would like to see them do what was done with Walking Dead.  Use the written material as background and go their own way.  Martin's source material in the last two books are largely unuseable without significant editing in any event.

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on April 09, 2014, 06:54:07 AM

Pretty sure Martin has a say in the content and did not fully sign away total creative control to HBO.  I mean heck he writes an episode a season.

Valmy

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

D&D and Martin have use the metaphor of a road trip for how Martin has laid out the story. He knows where he is going he just doesn't have all the details worked out. Considering how many details get left out of the story compared to the books in the show I don't think it will be a problem for the show to lap the books. It wasn't a problem when the books spoiled the show, the converse shouldn't be an issue.

Remember the show completely skipped Ned's flashbacks to the Tower of Joy, in fact almost EVERY SINGLE hint that R+L=J from the books has been erased in the show.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.