News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Why did they have to gay up Oberyn?

I hadn't really formed a mental image of the Dornishmen from the books, but i certainly didn't see them as Sinbad the Sailor with a Spanish accent.

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 07, 2014, 05:24:47 PM

I hadn't really formed a mental image of the Dornishmen from the books, but i certainly didn't see them as Sinbad the Sailor with a Spanish accent.
They needed a gay character to make the activists happy?

He seems broadly in accord with the mental picture I had of Dorne.  The character is supposed to be this free-ranging adventurer from an exotic, arid country.  Spanish is exotic.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Well they are supposed to be like the Moors. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Queequeg

Oberyn and a lot of the Dornishmen are bisexual.  The sexual morality is just different down there.  The Rhonyar are weird. 

I think they are as much Basque or Welsh as anything.  Absolute cognatic primogeniture is a Basque thing the Rhonyar practice, and the light armor with throwing spear or short sword sounds vaguely Cantabrian
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Valmy

Quote from: Queequeg on April 07, 2014, 05:49:36 PM
I think they are as much Basque or Welsh as anything.  Absolute cognatic primogeniture is a Basque thing the Rhonyar practice, and the light armor with throwing spear or short sword sounds vaguely Cantabrian

Yeah because when I think about sand and desert people I immediately think of the Basques or the Welsh.  Dude GRRM is loosely inspired by Medieval history but you have to be a pretty big nerd to know the succession traditions of the Basques.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

katmai

Quote from: Valmy on April 07, 2014, 06:13:17 PM

Yeah because when I think about sand and desert people I immediately think of the Basques or the Welsh.  Dude GRRM is loosely inspired by Medieval history but you have to be a pretty big nerd to know the succession traditions of the Basques.

Some might say completely irrational.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Berkut

Obvious first episode, lots of setup.

The scene with Arya murdering Polliver though...that was excellent. Just...chilling.

"Something wrong with your leg boy?"
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on April 07, 2014, 07:32:15 PM
The scene with Arya murdering Polliver though...that was excellent. Just...chilling.

"Something wrong with your leg boy?"

Agreed

garbon

CK2 makes a big point of calling out the basques as the one culture to allow women to inherit on same basis as men.

Of course, whether that's historically accurate, I've no idea. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

:huh:  He's pretty clearly bisexual in the books.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Queequeg

Yeah because when I think about sand and desert people I immediately think of the Basques or the Welsh. 

They are the weird peninsular people with bows and spears who are dark and were only with difficulty integrated in to the Westerosi mainstream and have substantially greater rights for women.  They also maintain some weird pagany religious practices, and are the classic "other" of Westerosi society.

Welsh and Basque.   

EDIT: In the case of Dorne, yes, Wales was definitely an influence, for all the reasons you cite. But there's also some distinctly unWelsh elements down there. South of the wall of mountains you have a hot, dry country more like Spain or Palestine than the cool green valleys of Wales, with most of the settlements along the seacoast and in few great river basins. And you also have the flavor given the culture by the great Rhoynar influx led by Nymeria. I suppose the closest real life equivilent to that would be the Moorish influence in parts of Spain. So you could say Dorne is Wales mixed with Spain and Palestine with some entirely imaginary influences mixed in. Or you could just say it's Dorne....

QuoteDude GRRM is loosely inspired by Medieval history but you have to be a pretty big nerd to know the succession traditions of the Basques.
I prefer "History Hipster" to nerd, thank you very much. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Quote from: garbon on April 07, 2014, 07:39:39 PM

CK2 makes a big point of calling out the basques as the one culture to allow women to inherit on same basis as men.

Of course, whether that's historically accurate, I've no idea. :D
It's a simplification.  Basque inheritence laws were all kinds of weird.  There was a tribal structure and an avoidance of private property and feudalism that was pretty unique to the Basque country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baserri

jimmy olsen

These days you just need to have played CK2
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: Queequeg on April 07, 2014, 08:41:05 PM
They are the weird peninsular people with bows and spears who are dark and were only with difficulty integrated in to the Westerosi mainstream and have substantially greater rights for women.  They also maintain some weird pagany religious practices, and are the classic "other" of Westerosi society.

Welsh and Basque.   

EDIT: In the case of Dorne, yes, Wales was definitely an influence, for all the reasons you cite. But there's also some distinctly unWelsh elements down there. South of the wall of mountains you have a hot, dry country more like Spain or Palestine than the cool green valleys of Wales, with most of the settlements along the seacoast and in few great river basins. And you also have the flavor given the culture by the great Rhoynar influx led by Nymeria. I suppose the closest real life equivilent to that would be the Moorish influence in parts of Spain. So you could say Dorne is Wales mixed with Spain and Palestine with some entirely imaginary influences mixed in. Or you could just say it's Dorne....

QuoteDude GRRM is loosely inspired by Medieval history but you have to be a pretty big nerd to know the succession traditions of the Basques.
I prefer "History Hipster" to nerd, thank you very much. 

Um he said Moorish with some Levantine stuff.  Hardly Basque.  Though ok on the Welsh stuff.  And the First Men are just as "other".

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 07, 2014, 11:12:57 PM
These days you just need to have played CK2

True but that was a tall order in 1996 :P