News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Jaron

I didn't care for the board game. It's cool in concept, but the gameplay was pretty unsatisfying. I think for me I just didn't like the lack of any random chance in battles. It seemed to be who has more men? Okay, you win. I think you could influence this with card plays a bit, but I love me some dice rolls.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Tamas

Quote from: Jaron on June 04, 2013, 10:21:19 PM
I didn't care for the board game. It's cool in concept, but the gameplay was pretty unsatisfying. I think for me I just didn't like the lack of any random chance in battles. It seemed to be who has more men? Okay, you win. I think you could influence this with card plays a bit, but I love me some dice rolls.

its about diplomacy. Divide and conquer and that kind of stuff.

KRonn

Good episode. I liked Dany's taking of Yunkai by the slave soldiers changing allegiances. She had planted that seed at the first meeting with the Yunkai noble by telling him (with his slaves present) how she would free the slaves, just as she had done before.

I was waiting for the Red Wedding and expected a lot of shock over that. People are looking for the good guys to win kind of thing but this story is so much larger and expansive. Soon enough things will turn even more, as readers of the book know.

I usually encourage people to read the books as that will help to understand the story better. But the show does a good job of telling the story and all the cast of characters and personalities involved.

frunk

Quote from: Jaron on June 04, 2013, 10:21:19 PM

I think there's plenty of surprises and unexpected wins or losses with the simultaneous action choice and card play that dice rolls would make a potentially unpredictable game even less certain.  Definitely play with at least the first expansion for the ports.

The Brain

The (major) board game is great.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

I think Bolton should have said "Tywin Lannister sends his regards" instead of "The Lannisters send their regards".

Would have been so much more personal and infuriating, I think.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on June 05, 2013, 02:52:11 PM
I think Bolton should have said "Tywin Lannister sends his regards" instead of "The Lannisters send their regards".

Would have been so much more personal and infuriating, I think.

In the book he said 'Jaime Lannister sends his regards' which I think is going to set up Jaime getting it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

If the Red Wedding came as a shock to the TV viewer then the books did not translate well.  By that time in the Books the reader realizes that everything that can go terribly wrong will go terribly wrong with the exception of a few characters.  The Red Wedding was foreshadowed to death for at least four long chapters before it happened.  Readers who were caught be suprise just werent paying attention.

The sad thing is that the Fat Man keeps trying to "shock" the reader even up to book 5 but by that point even the most dim reader comes to expect it.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 05, 2013, 05:15:53 PM
If the Red Wedding came as a shock to the TV viewer then the books did not translate well.  By that time in the Books the reader realizes that everything that can go terribly wrong will go terribly wrong with the exception of a few characters.  The Red Wedding was foreshadowed to death for at least four long chapters before it happened.  Readers who were caught be suprise just werent paying attention.

The sad thing is that the Fat Man keeps trying to "shock" the reader even up to book 5 but by that point even the most dim reader comes to expect it.

I'm pretty sure I disagree with most of this. :D

Liep

Speaking of the Fat Man, any rumours about his next book? When it'll be out, etc.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Viking

Quote from: Liep on June 05, 2013, 05:26:06 PM
Speaking of the Fat Man, any rumours about his next book? When it'll be out, etc.

He's stopped making predictions of when he'll be finished...

I sort of get the image that he is like Willy Messerschmidt sitting on the floor of his factory in late 1944 surrounded by partially finished aircraft crying because he can't get those widgets for those thingamybobs he needs to finish them.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.