News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on June 03, 2013, 04:20:25 PM
Have to set up a cliffhanger / new plotlines for next season.

Blond chick sailing towards Westeros with her jannissaries and dragons.

Josephus

Quote from: Josephus on June 03, 2013, 04:12:34 PM
Quote from: Martinus on June 03, 2013, 01:46:19 PM
i now watched this episode three times, and I can't stop crying at the end every single time. Richard Madden and Michelle Fairley are amazing in that last scene. And the fact that the credits roll in total silence is a master stroke.

Ditto. That whole episode was well done, right down to the silent credits. Not sure why they chose not to end the season with that.

You can't end the season on the Red Wedding.  What a downer, looks like it is all over.  Have to set up a cliffhanger / new plotlines for next season.

Season One ended on a downer. I like big, talk-about endings. Next week might be rather tame by comparison. Everyone will still be talking about the Red wedding.

[spoiler]Unless they do Joffrey's wedding...but I don't think that's happening now.[/spoiler]
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 03, 2013, 04:22:06 PM
Have to set up a cliffhanger / new plotlines for next season.

Blond chick sailing towards Westeros with her jannissaries and dragons.

She's still on the other continent at the end of book 5.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

Quote from: Josephus on June 03, 2013, 04:24:26 PM
Quote from: Josephus on June 03, 2013, 04:12:34 PM
Quote from: Martinus on June 03, 2013, 01:46:19 PM
i now watched this episode three times, and I can't stop crying at the end every single time. Richard Madden and Michelle Fairley are amazing in that last scene. And the fact that the credits roll in total silence is a master stroke.

Ditto. That whole episode was well done, right down to the silent credits. Not sure why they chose not to end the season with that.

You can't end the season on the Red Wedding.  What a downer, looks like it is all over.  Have to set up a cliffhanger / new plotlines for next season.

Season One ended on a downer. I like big, talk-about endings. Next week might be rather tame by comparison. Everyone will still be talking about the Red wedding.

[spoiler]Unless they do Joffrey's wedding...but I don't think that's happening now.[/spoiler]

That's for the next season.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 03, 2013, 04:31:59 PM
She's still on the other continent at the end of book 5.

Broads.  :rolleyes:

Siege

Man, I really hate Dany in Meerin.
I got almost as angry with her blunders as I got with the Red Wedding the first time i read it.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Grallon

I'm constantly amazed at how well they subsume the books into the show.  The look on Cathlyn's face when 'the Rains of Castamere' begins ...  The look on Ygritte's face when she realizes John is abandoning her...  The look on Arya's face when she sees Rob's direwolf murdered...

Perhaps the ease with which those books translate onto the screen is due to Martin's very graphic prose?  Still episodes like this prove TV can sometimes enhance literature.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Siege

Quote from: Grallon on June 03, 2013, 06:48:08 PM
I'm constantly amazed at how well they subsume the books into the show.  The look on Cathlyn's face when 'the Rains of Castamere' begins ...  The look on Ygritte's face when she realizes John is abandoning her...  The look on Arya's face when she sees Rob's direwolf murdered...

Perhaps the ease with which those books translate onto the screen is due to Martin's very graphic prose?  Still episodes like this prove TV can sometimes enhance literature.

G.

Only because you already read the books so all these facial expressions had meaning for you.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Siege on June 03, 2013, 06:51:10 PM
Only because you already read the books so all these facial expressions had meaning for you.

Uh, they were pretty clear expressions and easily understood just from what had already happened on the show.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Habbaku

That and his background in television.  I suspect he writes a lot of chapters while trying to imagine what it'd look like on the screen.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: Habbaku on June 03, 2013, 07:26:16 PM

That and his background in television.  I suspect he writes a lot of chapters while trying to imagine what it'd look like on the screen.

Which might explain why he gets so bogged down in his details. :bleeding:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

:yes:  It's a double-edged sword.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Just watched.

Didn't quite live up to the Languish hype.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 03, 2013, 11:17:35 PM
Just watched.

Didn't quite live up to the Languish hype.

I've not watched season 3 but book-wise it was pretty good/bad.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: Josephus on June 03, 2013, 04:24:26 PM
Season One ended on a downer.

The fuck it didn't. It ended with "King in the North", the Night's Watch expedition setting off and, most importantly of all, the birth of dragons, probably the most uplifting/elating scene in the entire show.