News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kleves

I think this was the episode that everyone has been waiting to see since the series was announced. I thought they did a pretty good job. It really does highlight, though, that Dany is on another, more boring, show than all the other characters.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Martinus

Incidentally, I wonder how many non-book-readers make the connection that the song was Rains of Castamere? I wouldn't recognize it if I didn't know it was coming.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Martinus on June 03, 2013, 01:05:57 AM
Incidentally, I wonder how many non-book-readers make the connection that the song was Rains of Castamere? I wouldn't recognize it if I didn't know it was coming.
It was played a few times during the past season and a half.  I instantly recognized it.  Granted I have enjoy the soundtracks, but...
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Phillip V

Glad to see the whiny Jon Snow get his face scratched by a bird.

Razgovory

Quote from: Kleves on June 03, 2013, 12:56:12 AM
I think this was the episode that everyone has been waiting to see since the series was announced. I thought they did a pretty good job. It really does highlight, though, that Dany is on another, more boring, show than all the other characters.

That's what I thought about the books.  I thought her whole story could be cut, and have her become a character when (or if) she arrives in Westeros.  I remember someone on this board telling me it would be massive deus ex machina if a long lost Targaryen just popped up in one of the later books.  Ahem.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

I smell another shout out to the book fans in the Stark wifey being stabbed in the stomach like that- follows hot on the heels of it being confirmed that yes Robb's wife is pregnant. Oh...not any more. Woops.

I loved how full frontal and almost cartoonishly bloody it was.
One thing I didn't like was The Twins small scale. I noticed that in earlier episodes too, thought it might be upped here, alas no.
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Excellent episode. Just one more left and then it's waiting until April again. :(
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Larch

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on June 03, 2013, 01:19:06 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 03, 2013, 01:05:57 AM
It was played a few times during the past season and a half.  I instantly recognized it.  Granted I have enjoy the soundtracks, but...

And Cersei just explained the background on the last episode.

chipwich

Josephus

For archers they were also pretty good musicians.....I'm assuming they were the same people.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on June 03, 2013, 06:32:56 AM
Yes, he did.

I thought they lead him out and killed him out of sight.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?