News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Or to put it differently, Boltons in Game of Thrones serve the role of a "nemesis".

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me."

They are there to hurt the characters we used to hate, so we stop hating them. :P

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on May 07, 2013, 08:32:24 PM
What is even more silly than her ability to find Thoros is her ability to know that Thoros has Gendry to begin with.

I disagree. Divination spells allowing one to find a close blood relative of a person you are with is magic 101 in most fantasy settings. It's definitely much less ridiculous than breeding shadow assassins or raising the dead. You are just being grumpy.

Martinus

Quote from: Neil on May 07, 2013, 10:42:47 PM
What is even more silly than her ability to find Thoros is her ability to know that Thoros has Gendry to begin with.
Or her ability to survive the maester's poison.  I, for one, am astounded and dismayed that things that could only be explained by magic are being done by a witch in a fantasy setting.  The creators should be ashamed of themselves.  This is even worse than the dragons' wings being improperly oriented to provide the proper lift required for flight, or how frozen bodies can move around as if they were thawed.
:lol:

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on May 08, 2013, 12:24:58 AM

I disagree. Divination spells allowing one to find a close blood relative of a person you are with is magic 101 in most fantasy settings. It's definitely much less ridiculous than breeding shadow assassins or raising the dead. You are just being grumpy.

Am not!

It is too conveniently specific, when there is all kinds of other information that Stannis could have used to much greater effect that he was no privy to that is considerably LESS specific. Like, I don't know, the knowledge that Tywin was about to kick his ass, for example?

I know, I know, the ways of the Lord of Light are mysterious, blahblahblah.

It makes the magic a deus ex machina, nothing more than a tool the writers will use to circumvent what makes sense. We need Gendry with Melisandre? No problem, she can just magic herself to him, and magic herself back to Stannis. Ta-dah!

Martin goes out of his way NOT to use magic in that fashion, and he is a better writer for it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josquius

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 07, 2013, 10:14:14 AM
How did she get there? It's medieval europe in a war fought by nobles. There is no front.
Its not so much a non-existant front that is the issue, but her passing through a few countries worth of ravaged land filled with enemy armies, bandits, etc.... in a very short length of time.
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

Quote from: Tyr on May 08, 2013, 01:05:10 AM
How did she get there? It's medieval europe in a war fought by nobles. There is no front.
Its not so much a non-existant front that is the issue, but her passing through a few countries worth of ravaged land filled with enemy armies, bandits, etc.... in a very short length of time.

Uh...what?  Presumably, the Brotherhood Without Banners is operating in the area around Harrenhall.  All she has to do is land at Maidenpool or thereabouts, then travel overland through the Riverlands.  It's a pretty short distance for a small group to go through and I imagine that "enemy armies" have better things to do than to be on the look out for a red witch that they don't know exists or is even traveling in their area.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on May 08, 2013, 12:50:28 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 08, 2013, 12:24:58 AM

Am not!

It is too conveniently specific, when there is all kinds of other information that Stannis could have used to much greater effect that he was no privy to that is considerably LESS specific. Like, I don't know, the knowledge that Tywin was about to kick his ass, for example?

I know, I know, the ways of the Lord of Light are mysterious, blahblahblah.

It makes the magic a deus ex machina, nothing more than a tool the writers will use to circumvent what makes sense. We need Gendry with Melisandre? No problem, she can just magic herself to him, and magic herself back to Stannis. Ta-dah!

Martin goes out of his way NOT to use magic in that fashion, and he is a better writer for it.

Well, Melissandre hints at few points that she could have saved Stannis's army but he did not take her with him. Perhaps she withheld some information from him to show him that he cannot succeed without the LOL (by the way I just realized that's the acronym for the Lord of Light). :D

I mean, I kinda get what you mean but as far as magic feats go, locating a nephew of the guy you fucked and used for magic before, and who (the nephew) actually has something that actively fuels your magic does not sound so outlandish, as far as mysterious magic tricks go. It's like a vampire being able to sniff blood at a distance.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on May 08, 2013, 01:57:56 AM
the LOL (by the way I just realized that's the acronym for the Lord of Light). :D

That's not the term Martin typically used is it?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 08, 2013, 02:02:32 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 08, 2013, 01:57:56 AM
the LOL (by the way I just realized that's the acronym for the Lord of Light). :D

That's not the term Martin typically used is it?

Dunno.

Josquius

Quote from: Habbaku on May 08, 2013, 01:20:10 AM
Quote from: Tyr on May 08, 2013, 01:05:10 AM

Uh...what?  Presumably, the Brotherhood Without Banners is operating in the area around Harrenhall.  All she has to do is land at Maidenpool or thereabouts, then travel overland through the Riverlands.  It's a pretty short distance for a small group to go through and I imagine that "enemy armies" have better things to do than to be on the look out for a red witch that they don't know exists or is even traveling in their area.
Mentally got my geography a bit mixed up. Not as far as I imagined, still a fair distance though, .
Its not just her, she had some of Stannis' men too.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

A small group (and they're one) can travel fast, my gripe with that is the relative ease with which they find each other. Magical GPS, that's where it's at. Anyway, I'm not really worried by that, "a red witch did it".

Martinus

Maybe all red priests are BFFs on Facebook and Thoros posted he is "resurrecting with Berric Dondarion, Arya Stark and Gendry the Baratheon Bastard near Harrenhall".

The Larch

Quote from: Martinus on May 08, 2013, 05:23:17 AM
Maybe all red priests are BFFs on Facebook and Thoros posted he is "resurrecting with Berric Dondarion, Arya Stark and Gendry the Baratheon Bastard near Harrenhall".

As shown in the "Order of the Stick" webcomic, all clerics are on Macebook. :nerd:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0739.html

Martinus

Queequeg

Quote from: The Larch on May 08, 2013, 05:09:41 AM
A small group (and they're one) can travel fast, my gripe with that is the relative ease with which they find each other. Magical GPS, that's where it's at. Anyway, I'm not really worried by that, "a red witch did it".
The brotherhood are Rhlor worshippers. Presumably there's a network of sympathizers she can ask.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."