And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Viking on April 24, 2013, 08:04:45 AM
Narnia fail.

I'm fairly certain that factoid is never mentioned in the books.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 24, 2013, 08:08:45 AM
Narnia fail.

I suppose you also don't know that Narnia is a village in Latium and the birthplace of Nerva?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 24, 2013, 08:08:45 AM
Narnia fail.

Nor does it really make a difference if you know Alp Arslan's name means nor that it would be the same as Aslan.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Yes, we get it, you read Wikipedia.

:P

*edit* Viking, not garbon.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Viking

Quote from: HVC on April 24, 2013, 08:17:18 AM

alas, all this I knew long before there was an internet.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Quote from: Viking on April 24, 2013, 08:18:42 AM

So yay you know trivia!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

elementary school book report?  I can't even recall what my grade seven book report was, actual. Probably found a synopsis somewhere :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Viking

Quote from: HVC on April 24, 2013, 08:21:31 AM

elementary school book report?  I can't even recall what my grade seven book report was, actual. Probably found a synopsis somewhere :D

More than that. I love the books while somehow managing to miss the whole religious symbolism bit when I was a kid. I found narnia on the map myself (just like lewis did). I don't remember learning that Aslan was Turkish for lion, I just always knew. Maybe my parents told me. Maybe I looked up aslan in an encyclopedia. On a different note, I also "knew" that Turkish Delights weren't Turkish, which is true in the sense that the ones I got as a kid weren't turkish, but also untrue since the ones peter is talking about were (or at least near identical copies).

viper37

Quote from: Grallon on April 23, 2013, 07:52:40 PM
Like what?
Sorta like that: ;)

Nobody is forcing you to have homoerotic fantasies Viper - only you can do that.  Or do you mean having a more... refined sensibility?
G.
<sigh>  I was joking G.  I'm not afraid of turning gay because I happen to like a very pretty and intelligent woman character on a tv show...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on April 24, 2013, 02:30:37 PM
<sigh>  I was joking G.  I'm not afraid of turning gay because I happen to like a very pretty and intelligent woman character on a tv show...

Way to ruin Grallon's day :mad:

Barrister

Quote from: Viking on April 24, 2013, 08:35:45 AM
Quote from: HVC on April 24, 2013, 08:21:31 AM

More than that. I love the books while somehow managing to miss the whole religious symbolism bit when I was a kid. I found narnia on the map myself (just like lewis did). I don't remember learning that Aslan was Turkish for lion, I just always knew. Maybe my parents told me. Maybe I looked up aslan in an encyclopedia. On a different note, I also "knew" that Turkish Delights weren't Turkish, which is true in the sense that the ones I got as a kid weren't turkish, but also untrue since the ones peter is talking about were (or at least near identical copies).

Same here.  I read the books numerous times.  Th religious allegory made a gigantic *whoosh* sound over my head each time.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Viking

Quote from: Barrister on April 24, 2013, 04:15:32 PM

Same here.  I read the books numerous times.  Th religious allegory made a gigantic *whoosh* sound over my head each time.

When I heard Walden Media were making it BECAUSE Aslan was an allegory on Jesus, my reaction was surprise that they didn't realize that this was a literary trope.

Plus I never say Aslans "sacrifice" as a sacrifice, but rather as magical power granted by altruism. When the link was brought up my reaction was to conclude that Jesus' sacrifice was pretty much a non-sacrifice, just like Aslan. If anything telling the story without the religious context allowed me to see it without societal pressure or theological interpretations for the pathetic sham that the jesus story is.

Let the theo-flame-war commence, I won't be participating.

The Brain

Jesus was Jewish for more than 30 years. And you doubt his sacrifice?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

Quote from: Viking on April 24, 2013, 04:37:41 PM
Let the theo-flame-war commence, I won't be participating.
If you're not participating, then there won't be a flame war.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Has anyone read the combined, chronologically ordered pdf of Feast and Dance? I heard it was much better than the individual books.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point