And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on April 22, 2013, 11:32:16 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 22, 2013, 07:53:17 PM
That said, the best scene of the night was Tywin and Cersei.

+1

All the best scenes are either

1. Really powerful moments, or
2. Some of the really exceptional dialogue.

Tywin slapping Cersei down was just excellent. I would really like to see him take on Joffrey.

Yeah, to me, GRRM is a great writer of characters and a great storyteller, so it's great that the area where he is lacking - dialogue - has been picked by D&D. This makes the characters GRRM wrote say things they never did in the books possibly the best part of the show.

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on April 22, 2013, 03:35:21 PM
Quote from: The Larch on April 22, 2013, 03:30:54 PM
Btw, Sansa keeps getting tricked...this girl will never learn.

Oh for Godsake she is still a kid.  I mean she literally has nobody she can rely on and this is a nest of vipers where even Tyrion gets tricked.

Yeah, but it still pains me to see her being so naive. I think the actress really managed to show Sansa's desperation for someone to sincerely care for her, and how she is initially reluctant to open up to Margaery but then seems to crack up at her offer to marry her to Loras (even after he blatantly ignored who she was when she told her the anecdote from the Hand's Tournament in the last episode) and offer a cushy life in Highgarden, more akin to her dreams of knightly tales and court living. Everything has been going so badly for her that a small ray of hope is all she's looking for. It's heartbreaking.

IIRC in the books when the Tyrells (Margaery and the Queen of Thorns, I think) offer to marry her to one of their boys she jumps of joy thinking about getting married to Loras and both Tyrell women sigh, roll their eyes and say something like "No, you dumb kid, you, not Loras, but Willas" and she just says something like "Oh, ok, I'm cool with that too". The fact that they offer her to marry Loras straight away in the series makes me think that both Willas and Garlan will be cut from the show.

Liep

Great episode, and quite the finale. Season 3 is proving stronger and stronger.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Camerus

Lady Olenna is wonderful.  I enjoyed the scenes with her this week as much as with anyone.

The Larch

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on April 23, 2013, 06:46:25 AM
Lady Olenna is wonderful.  I enjoyed the scenes with her this week as much as with anyone.

What happens when the non-existant bumps the decrepit? A discussion for philosophers!

:lmfao:

Josephus

Quote from: The Larch on April 23, 2013, 04:24:18 AM

IIRC in the books when the Tyrells (Margaery and the Queen of Thorns, I think) offer to marry her to one of their boys she jumps of joy thinking about getting married to Loras and both Tyrell women sigh, roll their eyes and say something like "No, you dumb kid, you, not Loras, but Willas" and she just says something like "Oh, ok, I'm cool with that too". The fact that they offer her to marry Loras straight away in the series makes me think that both Willas and Garlan will be cut from the show.

Yeah, I was thinking that too. In the book they just said Tyrells, or my brother or something, and she assumed it would be Loras and was quite disappointed to find out it wasn't.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Berkut

WEll, in the show they don't seem to be following with the entire "Kingsguard cannot marry" thing. Tywin refers to Jaime as his heir, for example.

Of course...actually, in the show, is Loras a Kingsguard?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on April 23, 2013, 08:06:07 AM
WEll, in the show they don't seem to be following with the entire "Kingsguard cannot marry" thing. Tywin refers to Jaime as his heir, for example.

Tyrion mentioned a couple of episodes ago that Jaime can't inherit.

And now that you mention, Loras is not a Kingsguard on TV IIRC

jimmy olsen

Precedent was set with Barristan's forced retirement, Tywin's probably hoping to get around that technicality.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 23, 2013, 08:37:46 AM
Precedent was set with Barristan's forced retirement, Tywin's probably hoping to get around that technicality.

well yeah his character doesn't strike as somebody being stopped by tradition and law.

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on April 23, 2013, 08:20:10 AM
Quote from: Berkut on April 23, 2013, 08:06:07 AM

Tyrion mentioned a couple of episodes ago that Jaime can't inherit.

And now that you mention, Loras is not a Kingsguard on TV IIRC

Loras is named a Kingsguard at some point during the 3rd book, so they're still on time.

viper37

Quote from: Grallon on April 22, 2013, 07:25:39 PM
Daenerys truly is worthy to rule over Westeros. :wub:
Great.  Two guay guys rooting for Daenarys.  I'll have to rethink my allegiance now.  <_<

:P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on April 23, 2013, 10:04:37 AM
Great.  Two guay guys rooting for Daenarys.  I'll have to rethink my allegiance now.  <_<

Well I'm there too, so...:whistle:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Maybe she reminds them of Eva Peron?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: viper37 on April 23, 2013, 10:04:37 AM

You're on the side of EVIL, right down to your cold black heart.  :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?