News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on April 22, 2013, 07:29:01 AM
Is she speaking High Valyrian and the others have been speaking Ghiscari? They made two quite different languages.
They're speaking modern Ghiscari, not old Ghiscari.  The old Ghiscari were pretty much annihilated, and the people living in Slaver's Bay now who call themselves Ghiscari are mostly descendants of Valyria with a little bit of cultural inspiration from Old Ghis.  The differences probaby aren't that great.  After all, the Doom was only four hundred years ago.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on April 22, 2013, 12:22:00 AM
Quote from: Josephus on April 21, 2013, 09:00:06 PM
I'm liking Danaerys's story the best. Loved the final sequence with her "airforce" flying over her army.
Dunno about the tv, but it seems that for book readers her storyline is the most divisive one - some people love her and some people hate her. Personally, her "trade" in Astapor was one of the most satisfying events in the books for me.
Yeah, but that's sort of where things began to change.  Up until this point, Danaerys was universally enjoyed by the readers.  The more she gets into her crusade in Slaver's Bay, the worse it gets and by the time she's in Meereen, nobody has any idea what the hell she's doing anymore.  Well, she's waiting for Tyrion Lannister to show up and lead her to victory, but it's a long, painful wait.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Queequeg

Quote from: Neil on April 22, 2013, 07:38:51 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on April 22, 2013, 07:29:01 AM
Is she speaking High Valyrian and the others have been speaking Ghiscari? They made two quite different languages.
They're speaking modern Ghiscari, not old Ghiscari.  The old Ghiscari were pretty much annihilated, and the people living in Slaver's Bay now who call themselves Ghiscari are mostly descendants of Valyria with a little bit of cultural inspiration from Old Ghis.  The differences probaby aren't that great.  After all, the Doom was only four hundred years ago.
An interview compared Ghiscari (by that I mean the Valyrian based language) to Valyrian to Cato to Old Spanish. There's a big gap there. I think Danny was speaking Valyrian, but could make out Ghiscari.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

jimmy olsen

Sacking slaver cities and all the "drama" that went with it will look a lot better on screen than on the page I think. That'll be her season 4 arc, and then we'll see Tyrion meet up with her in season 5 I bet.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Solmyr

I'm liking Danaerys's story the best. Loved the final sequence with her "airforce" flying over her army.

Dunno about the tv, but it seems that for book readers her storyline is the most divisive one - some people love her and some people hate her. Personally, her "trade" in Astapor was one of the most satisfying events in the books for me.

I kinda missed the "Mother! Mother!" scene from this episode, as it was very emotionally powerful and a good counter to her violent reprisal on the slavers. Hopefully they'll include it in a later scene, perhaps in Meereen.

Berkut

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 22, 2013, 08:09:56 AM
Sacking slaver cities and all the "drama" that went with it will look a lot better on screen than on the page I think. That'll be her season 4 arc, and then we'll see Tyrion meet up with her in season 5 I bet.

I dunno, they just passed on having her sack her first city.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Martinus

Quote from: Solmyr on April 22, 2013, 08:20:09 AM

I kinda missed the "Mother! Mother!" scene from this episode, as it was very emotionally powerful and a good counter to her violent reprisal on the slavers. Hopefully they'll include it in a later scene, perhaps in Meereen.

The final episode of this season is titled "Mhysa" which means "Mother" in Valyrian so I suspect that's going to be that.

By the way, I liked the musical and visual flashbacks to season 1 finale - including Jorah's expression which was sorta like "ok, we really need to talk about your penchant for burning everything in the eyesight".

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on April 22, 2013, 08:23:13 AM

By the way, were you happy with the Ramsay storyline ("oh, he killed those man, not me") or did you expect something more? :P

Josquius

Did things go that way at Craster's in the books? I can't recall that.....what happened to the other women?
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Quote from: Tyr on April 22, 2013, 08:48:39 AM
Did things go that way at Craster's in the books? I can't recall that.....what happened to the other women?

Raped?

Martinus

So, I am usually reading a lot of recaps and reviews of these episodes and they often discuss how a lot of episodes, despite being seemingly random in their choice of storylines, in fact are arranged thematically - and I wonder if "normal" tv viewers notice that too.

For example, they concluded that the last episode was about betrayals - Mormont (and earlier, Kraster) by some of the Night Watch scum; the slavers by Danny; Theon by Ramsey; etc.

The last week's episode, on the other hand, was about just and unjust punishments - slaves on the Walk of Punishment; Theon getting beaten up and nearly raped; Jaime getting his hand chopped off; and so forth.

I wonder if the writers are actually writing all of this like that, or is this simply spotting patterns where there are none.

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on April 22, 2013, 08:46:11 AM
Quote from: Berkut on April 22, 2013, 08:23:13 AM

By the way, were you happy with the Ramsay storyline ("oh, he killed those man, not me") or did you expect something more? :P

No, that was just what I expected. They started a crappy and stupid plot idea, of course they are going to finish it out. Not like it makes any more sense now than it did before because he made up a story that is clearly easily disproved.

I guess he is just hoping nobody notices the bodies of his men full of arrows...when Theon has no bow or means to get one? Everyone is just supposed to believe that Theon, weak, tortured, and in rather decidedly poor health, killed 4 or 5 men all by himself while Ramsey was busy doing...what? And then Ramsey captures him without taking a scratch? Uh huh.

It makes no sense at all, it doesn't work logically or with the characters. But whatever. If this is the largest "roll-eyes" plot device in the show, we will be in pretty damn good shape.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

KRonn

I liked Dany in last night's episode. I had forgotten some of the details from the book but I was waiting for her to act, as I knew she wasn't giving up any dragons. I had also forgotten that she could speak Valyrian but I was figuring she could and knew all along what was being said. Very cool all around, she's one of my favorite characters from the books. I like the actress playing her.

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on April 22, 2013, 08:48:39 AM
very similar IIRC.  Some details may have been changed, but there was indeed a fight over Craster's food store and the Night Comander was killed, and Sam escape with Gilli.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: KRonn on April 22, 2013, 09:26:52 AM
I liked Dany in last night's episode. I had forgotten some of the details from the book but I was waiting for her to act, as I knew she wasn't giving up any dragons. I had also forgotten that she could speak Valyrian but I was figuring she could and knew all along what was being said. Very cool all around, she's one of my favorite characters from the books. I like the actress playing her.
can't remember the books, if we knew from the beginning, but in the tv series, it was kinda noticeable that she understood the guy but was trying not to show it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.