And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Martinus on April 17, 2013, 05:51:25 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 17, 2013, 05:31:06 AM
Quote from: Tyr on April 16, 2013, 11:22:38 PMIn the TV series have we ever seen or heard much of Stannis' wife? IIRC she shows up in the first Stannis scene but not much beyond. Nothing at all on his daughter....

I think his wife doesn't appear even then, but IIRC the casted a young actress for the daughter's role for this season.

So far, I have no problem with any characters that were written out of the tv series. Unlike the books, the pace of the show is such, introducing too many secondary characters who play no important role would be too confusing for the viewers.

Although, I'm slightly bummed that there will be no Strong Belwas.

Stannis not having a family really changes his dynamic with the red woman however.
██████
██████
██████

Queequeg

Stan is has a family, we haven't seen it yet.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

HVC

Guess its just me. Didn't finish the first two episodes and didn't bother watching the third.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: Queequeg on April 17, 2013, 09:14:14 AM
I think we saw his daughter.  And Mellissandre practically told him to sacrifice her in the last episode.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Martinus

Quote from: viper37 on April 17, 2013, 10:13:20 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on April 17, 2013, 09:14:14 AM
I think we saw his daughter.  And Mellissandre practically told him to sacrifice her in the last episode.

I think she was actually alluding to any (surviving) Robert's bastards. And since they merged Edric Storm with Gendry we know where this (and she) is heading - to meet a fellow priest of Rhaellor.

viper37

Quote from: Martinus on April 17, 2013, 10:29:07 AM
I think she was actually alluding to any (surviving) Robert's bastards.
IIRC, in the tv series, only Gendry is alive, and no one really knows who he is...

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Viking

Quote from: viper37 on April 17, 2013, 01:52:37 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 17, 2013, 10:29:07 AM
I think she was actually alluding to any (surviving) Robert's bastards.
IIRC, in the tv series, only Gendry is alive, and no one really knows who he is...

Tobho Mott does. Possibly Varys as well.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

viper37

Well, ok, I'll try to rephrase that:
not many people know who Gendry really is, and it's unlikely Melissandre knows.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on April 17, 2013, 02:39:58 PM

I don't know man she has those crazy magic sight powers. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: viper37 on April 17, 2013, 02:39:58 PM

The bitch can spawn shadow assassins. I wouldnt put a little bit of divination past her.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on April 17, 2013, 09:19:36 AM
Guess its just me. Didn't finish the first two episodes and didn't bother watching the third.

Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode about The English Patient.

Lettow77

I was possessed with a real sense of loyalty to the true king of westeros, and wrote a sonnet in his honour. Put in spoilers, as it references material from beyond the scope of the TV series.

[spoiler]
The red woman finds Snow in her fires;
the shadow demon casts Stannis aside
a sorceress tempting baser desires
stains the dignity of great Stannis's pride

Duty and law are nothing divine;
friends and fire are not His source of renown
not for our lord is laughter and wine
but the weight of rule and an iron crown

Our sovereign staggers alone in the ice
besieging Boltons without any relief
the steel in his soul leaves no room for vice
but unbent justice and grinding of teeth

Should Stannis widow his unsmiling queen
The burning heart lies with moƩ Shireen
[/spoiler]
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Grinning_Colossus

I'd have thought that you'd support the various regional independence movements -- The North, Dorne, and especially the Iron Islands. Stannis would be a supreme centralizer, and in any event the preservation of the Targaryen Empire under anyone would lead to the continued homogenization of Westerosi culture.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Lettow77

*especially* the iron islands? Those goons, those worse-than-vikings, those unreasoning savages? They are wholly unsympathetic and attacked Robb Stark, who is the gallant young wolf everyone sympathizes with.

Of course i'd prefer a world in which there was a king in the north, and the iron throne ruled over the remainder of the kingdom. The iron isles are too savage to be trusted with independence; they make war on the entire world, and shouldn't be surprised to find the hands of all men turned against them. Dorne shows little signs of wanting independence- it is culturally distinctive, but no more than that.

(Furthermore, the dornish are brown and lewd, which makes them beyond the pale for different reasons than the ironborn.)

It is the case that Stannis would not accept a broken realm, and it is unfortunate.  But Stannis is the embodiment of loyalty and fidelity, which is the highest virtue. As for the North, the late Ned Stark supported him as the just ruler, which stamps legitimacy on his reign of the north, beyond the pledge of hillfolk such as the Norreys and Wulls. The North is the only kingdom whose secession is valid, and after its valiant efforts at independence drowned in blood, Stannis is the man to bind its wounds.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Neil

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 18, 2013, 11:32:05 AM
But Stannis is the embodiment of loyalty and fidelity, which is the highest virtue.
I wouldn't go quite that far.  After all, he betrayed his wife.  That sort of knocks him down into a tie with Ned Stark.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.