Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Habbaku on April 15, 2013, 08:44:13 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 15, 2013, 08:33:35 PM
I don't get the song at the end.

It's "The Bear and the Maiden Fair" from the books.  Same song the Brotherhood was singing in the episode.

I see, then I ask why?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 15, 2013, 09:08:16 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on April 15, 2013, 08:44:13 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 15, 2013, 08:33:35 PM
I don't get the song at the end.

It's "The Bear and the Maiden Fair" from the books.  Same song the Brotherhood was singing in the episode.

I see, then I ask why?

What?

Martinus

I like that they made [spoiler]Ramsay Bolton[/spoiler] hot. This is going to elicit a collective what-the-fuck later on.  :lol:

Josquius

Quote from: 11B4V on April 15, 2013, 05:18:31 PM
I hate watching a weekly episode. I watched season one, all one after another when it came out. Same with season two. Flows a lot better. This show is a bunch of disjointed crap viewing it weekly (Grade D+ at best). Did the same with BoB and BSG. They view a lot better.
True. It is better to watch such things an episode a day, night after night I find. When I first watched prison break it was years after it was new and in this fashion and I absolutely loved it.
██████
██████
██████

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Sophie Scholl

No comments on Pod, God of Whores?  I was amused by that added scene. :lol:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Martinus

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on April 16, 2013, 01:41:48 AM

I really liked the mix of darkness and dark comedy in that episode - it was clear the show has finally felt like its footing is sure enough to pull that of. The Pod scenes were the most lightheartedly amusing, but there also were negotiations between Danny and the slavers, or the Tully funeral, which mixed grimness and humour quite deftly. Not to mention the last scene's shocker breaking into the punk song was awesome.

Martinus

I wonder if for non-book readers the little foreshadowing parts the show drops are as visible and clear as they are to book readers. The last episode had at least three:

[spoiler]- I think the fact that Danny is planning some bait and switch with the slaves-for-dragons deal is clear to most viewers;
- Stannish ranting about wanting Joff and Robb dead felt almost spoilerish;
- The torturer saying "you little bastard" to the "boy", on the other hand, probably won't tell non-readers a lot about the boy's true identity.[/spoiler]

Martinus

By the way, I have a question to Team Stannish here - now, I always thought him to be repugnant in the books, but he seems somehow even more despicable in his show portrayal - essentially a psychopath. Do you agree or do you still support the show version and find the character likeable?

Razgovory

My little brother is really into this show.  I've like watched only two episodes total.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Larch

We are going to need details, copious amounts of details.

Best line of the episode.  :lol:

Extra :nerd: points for recognizing the "Meereneese knot" reference. :p

Also, loved the pantomime scene at the Small Council meeting with the chair rearrangement.

Viking

Quote from: The Larch on April 16, 2013, 06:02:40 AM

We are going to need details, copious amounts of details.

Best line of the episode.  :lol:
That one line is going to have to make up for pages and pages of poderickian characterdevelopment in the books.
Extra :nerd: points for recognizing the "Meereneese knot" reference. :p

the reference made it to my facebook status

QuoteI don't know what D&D were thinking but the Myrenese Knot is NOT a reward for good service it is a punishment for showing mercy.

Also, loved the pantomime scene at the Small Council meeting with the chair rearrangement.

Tywin is fucking with peoples' heads. But, referring to the Machiavelli as guide to child rearing thread and my comments on how to keep a happy dog. The Lannister kids are the only ones in that meeting that both don't know where they should sit and think they are in their deserved place.

But still kudos to the D&D idea. Cersei puts herself at her fathers right hand symbolizing herself as he fathers trusted "man" and/or heir. Tyrion sits across from Tywin symbolizing himself as the antagonist and/or honoured guest. Tywin then proceeds to treat each of them as neither, he ignores cersei and treats Tyrion as a minon.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

viper37

Quote from: Martinus on April 16, 2013, 03:22:19 AM
I wonder if for non-book readers the little foreshadowing parts the show drops are as visible and clear as they are to book readers. The last episode had at least three:

Of course it is visible.  Since season 1, they make über obvious on tv what's going to happen.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

The Hold Steady version of the song will be available  as a 7-inch single this weekend on Record Day.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Berkut

OK, I am kind of confused by what they are doing with Theon, and who that guy is - is the guy who "rescued" him supposed to be the Bastard? Why would he kill all his own men?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned