News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Why a hawk and not a bear or a tiger or a dragon?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

QuoteBy the way, did anyone mind Loras being all smiles during the dinner with Cersei? I remember from the books that he was much more moping/drama-ish after Renly's death.
Yeah, that was a little weird. He was mopey for sure, went off on a suicide mission to Dragonstone iirc.
This paints things in a different light to the books really, he doesn't actually care for Renly and was just taking advantage of Renly's gayness and his good looks.

Quote from: Maximus on April 08, 2013, 05:08:15 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 08, 2013, 05:04:45 PM
How did the Gods of the Andals become some popular? When the religion originally spread there was plenty of magic. You would think that a religion without any wouldn't catch on. It doesn't really make sense.
There's an argument(which is not mine) that it was in its origins a fanatically anti-magic faith. That may have been the source of its popularity.
Makes sense.
IIRC wasn't there a bit in one of the books that spoke about how Oldtown opened its doors to the Andals and submitted to them without a fight. Given the meisters so want to kill off magic...
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josephus

Marti will get to hear the Bear Song...twice if he watches the closing credits.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Martinus

Wow. Great episode. Gotta hand it to them.

Martinus

The situation in the last scene clearly got out of hand.

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on April 15, 2013, 01:25:26 PM

I sort of bitched about the Sansa-QOT-Margaery scene not having butterbumps, but seriously, "the goat" made up for it. First I thought it was some form of corrupt file, but then when I heard the words I just went...

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Solmyr

Quote from: Martinus on April 15, 2013, 01:25:26 PM

Let's not point fingers here.

11B4V

I hate watching a weekly episode. I watched season one, all one after another when it came out. Same with season two. Flows a lot better. This show is a bunch of disjointed crap viewing it weekly (Grade D+ at best). Did the same with BoB and BSG. They view a lot better.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Grey Fox

I don't get the song at the end.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Habbaku

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 15, 2013, 08:33:35 PM
I don't get the song at the end.

It's "The Bear and the Maiden Fair" from the books.  Same song the Brotherhood was singing in the episode.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

Quote from: 11B4V on April 15, 2013, 05:18:31 PM
I hate watching a weekly episode. I watched season one, all one after another when it came out. Same with season two. Flows a lot better. This show is a bunch of disjointed crap viewing it weekly (Grade D+ at best). Did the same with BoB and BSG. They view a lot better.
Yeah this is a show meant to be swallowed in gulps. I'm going to watch the first three episodes tonight I think.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point