News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Neil on April 02, 2013, 08:00:12 PMI don't think that was especially important.  The First Men did a good job of dealing with the bad guys without any of those things.

Again, same applies to Stannis and his "red witch". Westeros do not need them and their crazy religion.

The Larch

Quote from: Berkut on April 01, 2013, 05:26:34 PMStannis strikes me as a pretty serious "means to an end" kind of guy. His morality and sense of justice is driven by results, and if the results are "moral" than the means to achieve those results matter little.

Yup, he says so himself when he tells the story of his childhood when he stopped using his falcon because he wouldn't hunt as a comparison to him ditching the Seven for R'hlor.

Solmyr

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on April 03, 2013, 12:23:17 AM
Quote from: Neil on April 02, 2013, 08:00:12 PMI don't think that was especially important.  The First Men did a good job of dealing with the bad guys without any of those things.
Again, same applies to Stannis and his "red witch". Westeros do not need them and their crazy religion.
Stannis isn't really a religious man.

Besides, it's not like the worship of Melisandre's fire demon is worse than the worship of the Seven Andal Gods.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on April 03, 2013, 12:20:30 AM
And Stannis is burning loyal men who just wanted him to get his crazy witch to stop destroying their holy statues and sending their sons into insane battles.

History is written by victors. If Stannis loses, it is really hard to see him depicted as anything else than a mad tyrant who blasphemes against the gods of old.
He's not burning religious opponents though.  He didn't burn Davos.  Of course history will frown on losers.  That's what happens to losers.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on April 03, 2013, 08:26:58 AM
Of course history will frown on losers.  That's what happens to losers.

Eh History has been kind to many losers.  It depends.  The whole 'History is written by the victors' thing sort of depends on the losers being exterminated...otherwise they tend to hang around annoyingly writing Lost Cause literature.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on April 03, 2013, 08:32:46 AM
Quote from: Neil on April 03, 2013, 08:26:58 AM
Of course history will frown on losers.  That's what happens to losers.

Eh History has been kind to many losers.  It depends.  The whole 'History is written by the victors' thing sort of depends on the losers being exterminated...otherwise they tend to hang around annoyingly writing Lost Cause literature.

There was a tipping point with that trope that came with Jubal Early. For the first time, rather than being butchered and/or reflecting over the causes of their own failure they just bitched and complained suggesting that the other side cheated by having more men or better material. Since we stopped butchering the leaders of the losers all they have done is write history. The winners are busy making it.

Today every single Marxist out there is either a historian or a journalist. Today history is written by the losers.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Quote from: Viking on April 03, 2013, 08:57:49 AM
Today every single Marxist out there is either a historian or a journalist. Today history is written by the losers.

Your statement might be fair if there was no one from the West writing history. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Quote from: garbon on April 03, 2013, 09:03:23 AM

Your statement might be fair if there was no one from the West writing history. ;)

You did notice that my phrasing was "every .. marxist ... is .. a historian or a journalist." not "every .. historian or journalist ... is ... a marxist."

I might have added "village idiot" since every single community seems to have it's own unrepentant marxist.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Quote from: Viking on April 03, 2013, 09:13:11 AM

You did notice that my phrasing was "every .. marxist ... is .. a historian or a journalist." not "every .. historian or journalist ... is ... a marxist."

I might have added "village idiot" since every single community seems to have it's own unrepentant marxist.

Exactly which is why the statement - "Today history is written by the losers" is inaccurate in the context of the oft repeated phrase. 
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Viking

Quote from: garbon on April 03, 2013, 09:25:04 AM
Quote from: Viking on April 03, 2013, 09:13:11 AM

Exactly which is why the statement - "Today history is written by the losers" is inaccurate in the context of the oft repeated phrase.

I'd go into detail about definite and indefinite articles but that would really be pedantic. I'll see if you figure it out...

Admiral Yi

He's got a point Puff.  History is a mass noun, so it's undefined in your statement "Today history is written by the losers" whether you're referring to some or all history.  Clearly not all history is being written by the losers.

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2013, 09:41:12 AM
He's got a point Puff.  History is a mass noun, so it's undefined in your statement "Today history is written by the losers" whether you're referring to some or all history.  Clearly not all history is being written by the losers.

Did you understand my initial point as I intended it or as he misrepresents it?