News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Lettow77 on February 06, 2013, 02:02:00 AM
Shireen Baratheon, who is the series' star character. I wrote to GRRM explaining who her queensguard should consist of.

:lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

We need to figure out a way to force Martin into major financial difficulty. That'll get him writing.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Viking

Quote from: Lettow77 on February 06, 2013, 02:02:00 AM
As Stannis is the true king, should GRRM die Stannis is awarded a default victory. Unfortunately, this is the only way Stannis will win.

As even more fortuitous line of events would be the death of Stannis followed by GRRM, which would result in the crown passing to Shireen Baratheon, who is the series' star character. I wrote to GRRM explaining who her queensguard should consist of.

I guessed Ser Pounce (for obvious anime cuteness potential) and Ser Gerold Dayne (for smiting northern carptebaggers), who are the remaining 5?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 06, 2013, 03:14:33 AM
Expensive trophy wife.

He met his wife playing Call of Cthulu iirc, so no, he's not gonna swap.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Habbaku

Quote from: Viking on February 06, 2013, 03:17:32 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 06, 2013, 03:14:33 AM
Expensive trophy wife.

He met his wife playing Call of Cthulu iirc, so no, he's not gonna swap.

She's not exactly a trophy, either, judging by pictures.  Unless one's trophy is the size of the Motherland Monument.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

Makes it all the easier to get him to trade. And the divorce will be expensive too. :shifty:

Lettow77

As gallant as Ser Pounce may be, he is a sworn claw of the Lannisters, a vile house and a spent force. Ser Dayne is a bad man- Dorne is to be looked on with wary suspicion as Not Quite White.

No, we must be realistic here. Shireen's prophet of the drowned God will help her assemble the bastards of Baratheon to restore the vitality to their house; It is a genius stroke that they who could not extend the family name will even so extol its grandeur. So, naturally Gendry, Edric and Mya Stone will be among her knights. A realistic look at Shireen's fortunes shows that her power base and future are in the North, so she will do well to make a political marriage with Bran. As Bran is infertile and vaugely a tree, it goes without saying it will be a matrilineal marriage. This will bring the greatest honor to the queensguard, securing its head (and shireen's lover) Arya Stark, who will be death to her foes. For her service to the Stark in Winterfell, and as a sop to his affections, Meera will also be admitted. Beyond that, it is crucial that the Onion Knight's unsurpassed service be rewarded, so of course Steffan Seaworth will serve valiantly. Finally, Stannis's most capable sword is at presently doubtlessly Richard Horpe, who will be admitted for his service and skill with a blade. He will be a mentor figure to the rest of the Queensguard, whose youth and vigor will doubtlessly energize him and soften his heart.

So, we see the unequaled queensguard, death to Shireen's enemies, is thus:
Arya Stark
Meera Reed
Gendry
Mya Stone
Edric Storm
Steffon Seaworth
Richard Horpe

It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sophie Scholl

Thanks for the linkage, Tim.  I only wish there were more Hound scenes. :(
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

jimmy olsen

:w00t:

QuoteWORLD PREMIERE OF HBO® GAME OF THRONES® SEASON 3 TRAILER ON JIMMY KIMMEL LIVE!, FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 22

http://winteriscoming.net/2013/02/season-3-trailer-to-premiere-on-jimmy-kimmel-live/

EDIT: You're welcome BA. I hear there'll be a bit more of a focus on him this season.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Good news for future budgets.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/02/22/game-of-thrones-dvd-sales-breaking-hbo-records/
QuoteGame of Thrones
Feb 22 2013 06:50 PM ET

'Game of Thrones' early DVD sales breaking HBO records
by James Hibberd   

Profits are coming: The second season of Game of Thrones is breaking HBO's sales records on home video.

The heavily promoted DVD title was released earlier this week. The company reports that the first day moved 241,000 units, which is 44 percent higher than the first season's initial sales and represent the biggest first-day numbers ever for an HBO home video release. HBO also sold 355,000 individual episodes via digital downloads, up 112 percent from season one. Given the more intense home video interest for season two, it wouldn't be surprising if the show's ratings surpass last season's numbers when the show returns next month.

The box sets include season two's 10 episodes, deleted scenes from the second season (watch them here) and plenty of behind-the-scenes material and commentaries — including this bit, below. Okay, this may not be the most insightful video, but it might be the cutest — the Stark kids beatboxing the Thrones theme song (hat tip to Winter is Coming). Also, check out the official just-released Game of Thrones poster for season 3 here and be sure to return to EW tonight to watch the first full season three trailer.

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

I need to get off my ass and order the second season. Havent seen it yet.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".