Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Viking on August 17, 2012, 07:36:03 PM
Quote from: Siege on August 17, 2012, 07:34:10 PM
5"11'

a midjit then...

A poor midjit, to boot, having to pay his wife for sex every time, and on a sergeant's salary.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Viking

Quote from: grumbler on August 17, 2012, 07:50:10 PM
Quote from: Viking on August 17, 2012, 07:36:03 PM
Quote from: Siege on August 17, 2012, 07:34:10 PM
5"11'

a midjit then...

A poor midjit, to boot, having to pay his wife for sex every time, and on a sergeant's salary.

and getting drunk on coors light just makes it more embarrassing.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: grumbler on August 17, 2012, 07:48:07 PM
Quote from: Siege on August 12, 2012, 02:04:37 PM
Exactly. He placed himself in a position with no choices. Revenge is part of North culture and he should have understood that Karstark would have taken his revenge no matter the price. Robb failed to perceive that in the North revenge is more important than trading hostages. He got this southron mentality of hostages from the Tullies.

Robb's mistake was leaving any of the Karstarks alive, if you are right and mindless revenge against innocent people is a "part of North culture."  Of course, the chances that you are right about that are as low as the chances of anything else you say being right!  :P

By the time he started executing Karstarks the levies had deserted. No further damage was done. And, tbh, if Robb had returned north with an army, which barring the RW was about to happen. Lords are always looking for land to reward their loyal followers with and the Karstark seem to have just granted Robb an excuse to redistribute some land.

Furthermore, as witnessed by Alys Karstark, executing Rikhardt Karstark was obviously not enough to turn his daughter against the Starks. When in distress Alys went looking for the closest thing to a Stark she could find to save her from her relatives.

Robbs mistakes were in managing his mother and managing his father's ghost (not being dishonourable like Ned was with Jon Snow's mother).
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

grumbler

Quote from: Viking on August 17, 2012, 08:09:54 PM
Robbs mistakes were in managing his mother and managing his father's ghost (not being dishonourable like Ned was with Jon Snow's mother).

Agreed.  He was mature enough to lead an army, but not mature enough to lead a kingdom.  He allowed his romantic impulses to lead him into actions he knew would have dreadful consequences for his subjects.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

So, I assume we are discussing GoT the novels here, right? No spoiler concerns?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

Might as well.  The attempt to keep this thread relatively spoiler-free was made more than once and has failed each time.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

There are spoiler tags for actual spoilers (i.e. things that happen in books beyond where the show is).

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on August 20, 2012, 11:36:53 AM
There are spoiler tags for actual spoilers (i.e. things that happen in books beyond where the show is).
The Karstarks and the RW haven't happenned on tv yet.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Liep

Watching Salmon Fishing in the Yemen and struggle to remember where I've seen Conleth Hill before. Imdb gave me Varys. I was shocked.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on August 20, 2012, 01:18:47 PM
The Karstarks and the RW haven't happenned on tv yet.

I think the Karstark incident isn't going to happen on TV (it happened in the books while Robb was away and immediately after Catelyn released Jaime, IIRC).  No one is discussing the RW without spoiler tags, I don't believe.

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

That fat fucker! Get back to work!

http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/game-of-thrones-george-r-r-martin-signs-overall-deal-with-hbo/

Quote'Game Of Thrones' George R.R. Martin Signs Overall Deal With HBO
By NELLIE ANDREEVA | Tuesday February 5, 2013 @ 3:40pm PSTTags: Game of Thrones, George R.R. Martin, HBO

EXCLUSIVE: George R.R. Martin, on whose fantasy book series HBO's hit drama Game Of Thrones is based, has signed a two-year overall deal with the pay cable network. Under the pact, Martin will continue as co-executive producer on Game Of Thrones, whose Season 3 premieres March 31. Additionally, he will develop and produce new series projects for the network. Attached to Martin's upcoming HBO development is his long-time representative, manager Vince Gerardis. In addition to co-executive producing Game Of Thrones, Martin has written multiple episodes of the fantasy series. His TV writing credits also include The Twilight Zone and the original Beauty And The Beast. He is with WME.

Game Of Thrones quickly established itself as HBO's next flagship series, combining ratings and critical success. Its most recent episode, the second-season finale in June, drew a series-high 4.2 million viewers in its premiere airing. For Season 2, GOT averaged gross audience of more than 10.4 million viewers per episode across various platforms. 
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadImmortalMan

Either his success is turning the man into a workaholic or those books aren't likely to get done. Get Sanderson on retainer.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

viper37

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 05, 2013, 10:01:23 PM
Either his success is turning the man into a workaholic or those books aren't likely to get done. Get Sanderson on retainer.
Hint: the pocket book release of a Dance with Dragons will include a full chapter of its next book.  So far, it's been pushed 'til October 2013, after August 2012, March 2013...

I think I might die of old age before I see the last book of the series.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on February 06, 2013, 12:47:42 AM
Hint: the pocket book release of a Dance with Dragons will include a full chapter of its next book.  So far, it's been pushed 'til October 2013, after August 2012, March 2013...

I think I might died of old age before I see the last book of the series.

Oh come now.  The last book was not even published two years ago.  Is it time to wail and moan and predict his or our deaths already?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Lettow77

As Stannis is the true king, should GRRM die Stannis is awarded a default victory. Unfortunately, this is the only way Stannis will win.

As even more fortuitous line of events would be the death of Stannis followed by GRRM, which would result in the crown passing to Shireen Baratheon, who is the series' star character. I wrote to GRRM explaining who her queensguard should consist of.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'