News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Too much bolt from the blue and too many tricky hair colors. Hair color is too central to the plot and a man with that many colors just can't be trusted.
Dunno about the hair colour thing but yeah, too much out of nowhere.
Also I'm certain Dany (?) was told as part of her prophecy package about a false dragon.
██████
██████
██████

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Viking on August 07, 2012, 08:54:24 PM

It's the character's arc. He is moving from a character with no honor and respect. He is merely admired and feared.

Yup. I imagine that when Dany comes, he'll take out one of the dragons single-handedly. He'll die, but he'll earn an epithet more flattering than King Slayer. :sleep:
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Viking

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on August 08, 2012, 01:29:13 AM
Quote from: Viking on August 07, 2012, 08:54:24 PM

It's the character's arc. He is moving from a character with no honor and respect. He is merely admired and feared.

Yup. I imagine that when Dany comes, he'll take out one of the dragons single-handedly. He'll die, but he'll earn an epithet more flattering than King Slayer. :sleep:

I always thought it would be jon with stannis from the north representing ice and dany from the south representing fire taking kings landing in the middle then going north together to destroy the others. But, if Martin lives long enough we might actually find out.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Siege

Quote from: grumbler on August 07, 2012, 09:05:47 PM
Siege, I like the idea that you disapprove of Tyrion avenging the rape of his wife by the entire garrison of Casterly Rock (with Tyrion forced to watch the whole thing), as ordered by Tywin.  It makes me think your dad must have been a real sweetheart, if you think dads should get away with monstrous behavior like Tywin's.

I agree Tywin's behavior was over the top.
If my son desides to marry a whore I would force him to take care of her, but none of that raping stuff.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Can Selmy ride the white dragon, Viserion? A White knight for the white dragon.
And who would ride the green dragon, Rhaegon?
I was convinced it was Qentyn Martell.
What House have green as his color?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on August 07, 2012, 09:05:47 PM
Siege, I like the idea that you disapprove of Tyrion avenging the rape of his wife by the entire garrison of Casterly Rock (with Tyrion forced to watch the whole thing), as ordered by Tywin.  It makes me think your dad must have been a real sweetheart, if you think dads should get away with monstrous behavior like Tywin's.

I like the idea that you approve of the murder of an unarmed man.  It makes me think that you go around killing people willy-nilly.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

It would be weird for Aegon to be real, but 'mummer's dragon' could simply refer to the fact that the whole Targaryen revival is the work of Varys.

Siege has a point about Jon.  He got what he had coming.  Not for the teaming up with the wildlings, but for trying to attack the Boltons.  Unfortunately, his death probably means the end of the Night's Watch.

I like Tyrion.  He generally does what's right.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josquius

Also forgot to mention in favour of Aegon being fake; Martin likes ripping off real historical events and there is the whole wars of the roses vibe going on in the series. Its not a real period of crown distress without a pretender or two. Martin is probally channeling Perkin Warbeck or whatever.
Though knowing him....he could well turn around and say "THATS WHAT I WANTED YOU TO THINK" thus making the old exercise stupid.

Jon- it does seem set out that he will be resurrected, and thus out of the watch, then will have adventures and win the day.
But...Martin does like subverting cliches. Already Jon was being a bit too much of a typical fantasy hero. In real life things rarely go according to plan.
██████
██████
██████

Sophie Scholl

"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Razgovory

You know, It finally hit me why these books and shows are so popular.  They are like soap operas for Nerds.  Sure they ride around on horses and wear metal clothes, but they spend most of their time scheming and plotting, having torrid affairs, and dying and getting better.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Viking

Quote from: Siege on August 08, 2012, 06:09:47 PM
Can Selmy ride the white dragon, Viserion? A White knight for the white dragon.
And who would ride the green dragon, Rhaegon?
I was convinced it was Qentyn Martell.
What House have green as his color?

Mormont has a black bear on a green background.
Tyrion has one green and one black eye.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

I thought House Tyrell are the ones associated with green.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on August 08, 2012, 06:24:20 PM
I like the idea that you approve of the murder of an unarmed man.

Tywin Lannister certainly had no problems with it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

I'm thinking that Raz was trying to make a point that what one is okay with in the books doesn't necessarily translate to their real life circumstances, though I'm unconvinced that grumbler is okay with the murder of an unarmed man.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.