News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

QuoteThe overall bit with John was not well done either, IMO. In the books, it is clear why Qorin and John are fighting, and what Qorin is trying to accomplish. The show seemed confusing - again, my wife was all "Why is Qorin attacking him? How does he know John is a traitor? What?".
Yes.  Clearly it is better for all characters in all dramatic works to have clear, singular motivations for every single action at all times. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Berkut

Quote from: Queequeg on June 05, 2012, 09:45:49 PM
QuoteThe overall bit with John was not well done either, IMO. In the books, it is clear why Qorin and John are fighting, and what Qorin is trying to accomplish. The show seemed confusing - again, my wife was all "Why is Qorin attacking him? How does he know John is a traitor? What?".
Yes.  Clearly it is better for all characters in all dramatic works to have clear, singular motivations for every single action at all times. 

When the action in question involves a main character sticking a sword into his friend, yeah, it probably should have some singular motivation.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josephus

Yeah, I was confused by that. They seemed to go for the "you called my mother a whore" motive.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Berkut

Quote from: Josephus on June 05, 2012, 10:02:11 PM
Yeah, I was confused by that. They seemed to go for the "you called my mother a whore" motive.

Apparently there really doesn't need to be a motive. Jon maybe is French, and is all "Fuck the world! Life is shit. I shall kill my friend. Why? Because fuck you, that is why! Give me another cigarette"

0 rows returned

Josephus

Quote from: Berkut on June 05, 2012, 10:04:23 PM
Quote from: Josephus on June 05, 2012, 10:02:11 PM

Apparently there really doesn't need to be a motive. Jon maybe is French, and is all "Fuck the world! Life is shit. I shall kill my friend. Why? Because fuck you, that is why! Give me another cigarette"

I never saw it that way until now. Yeah.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Queequeg

Quote from: Berkut on June 05, 2012, 10:00:47 PM

When the action in question involves a main character sticking a sword into his friend, yeah, it probably should have some singular motivation.

I think it is pretty clearly more complicated than that.  Jon is already attracted to Ygriette.  I think there is already some temptation to turn, and having Halfhand scream obscenities about his mother was probably so effective at goading him that it, you know, actually made him really angry. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Berkut

Quote from: Queequeg on June 05, 2012, 10:28:42 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 05, 2012, 10:00:47 PM

I think it is pretty clearly more complicated than that.  Jon is already attracted to Ygriette.  I think there is already some temptation to turn, and having Halfhand scream obscenities about his mother was probably so effective at goading him that it, you know, actually made him really angry. 

Yeah, except that makes Jon into nothing more than a traitor and a murderer.

Which is NOT who Jon Snow is, unless the show is looking to take him in a radically different direction from the book.

0 rows returned

Solmyr

I thought the show was pretty clear in that Jon goes along with Qhorin's plan, and Qhorin is yelling insults for the benefit of the wildlings so they accept Jon's turning.

Jaron

The House of the Undying sucked.

I'm glad we got to see that whore again though.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Berkut

Quote from: Solmyr on June 06, 2012, 12:32:43 AM
I thought the show was pretty clear in that Jon goes along with Qhorin's plan, and Qhorin is yelling insults for the benefit of the wildlings so they accept Jon's turning.

I think that is what they were going for, I just don't think it was that clear.

This was very important in the book, especially given Jons role later on - there was never any doubt where his allegiances lay, even if it was very hard for him to deal with.

The show (perhaps intentionally?) makes this much less clear.

0 rows returned

Habbaku

I doubt it was intentional, but I'm open to the idea.

What they do with season 3 will confirm or deny that proposition.  They've had to cover roughly 65 chapters per season thus far, but by splitting book 3 into two pieces, they now have to cover, what, 40 per?  It will be interesting to see how they fill the time.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Just caught a rerun of the finale.

I was more or less OK with the tiny dragons napalming the wizard.

What I didn't get was Theon getting sandbagged by his men, then the men going home...right through the 500 beseiging dudes??  And why did cripple boy and crew take off?  The bad guys were gone.

Habbaku

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 06, 2012, 01:49:27 AM
What I didn't get was Theon getting sandbagged by his men, then the men going home...right through the 500 beseiging dudes??  And why did cripple boy and crew take off?  The bad guys were gone.

The former will no doubt be explained by a scene with Theon next season.  It's explained more thoroughly in the books and I suspect that they didn't show the outcome there because they wanted to hold off on casting a very important secondary character until they had to (season 3).

The latter is clearly explained by Maester Luwin when he speaks with the Bran and friends.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 06, 2012, 01:49:27 AM
Just caught a rerun of the finale.

I was more or less OK with the tiny dragons napalming the wizard.

Robb gave the instruction of let those people go if they hand over Theon.

And if you read the books, you know the answer for the rest. I am not spoilering.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Habbaku on June 06, 2012, 01:59:09 AM
The latter is clearly explained by Maester Luwin when he speaks with the Bran and friends.

His explanation doesn't make any sense.  Sure, they shouldn't head south because they could get bushwacked by Lannisters.  But what's the risk of staying in Winterfell?