Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

Quote from: Zoupa on May 31, 2012, 09:54:29 PM
SUGE, I used to be in love with Mandy Moore  :blush:

She's so wholesome and lovely. :wub:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Admiral Yi

Caught a few more episodes last night.

OK, next question is, what's the scoop on that dude in Lannister armor, speaks with a Frenchish accent, who helps Ned's younger daughter escape? 

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 03, 2012, 12:28:40 PM
Caught a few more episodes last night.

OK, next question is, what's the scoop on that dude in Lannister armor, speaks with a Frenchish accent, who helps Ned's younger daughter escape?
He was one of the three men in the cage wagon who was being taken to the Wall.  Obviously, one of the men Ned gave to the watch from the jails of Kings Landing, and obviously one of the more dangerous ones, since he was in a cage.

His name is Jaqen H'ghar, and he is from the city of Braavos across the sea.  I won't spoil anything about him, but he is clearly both dangerous and honorable (by his own lights).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Josephus

So nobody watched the grand finale? :huh:

Turned into Walking Dead there at the end.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Fate

I didn't like the zombie scene as the ending for the season. I would rather have had them end by introducing Mance Rayder and having a dialogue with Jon Snow about the white walkers, rather than explicitly showing the Lich King and his zombie army.

Solmyr

That wouldn't have the same season-ending cliffhanger effect though. It was okay.

I guess we now know that Tywin Lannister's horse doesn't shit gold, either.

Maladict

Finally got round to watching this (season 1).
That dwarf looks an awful lot like Hugh Laurie.

Berkut

Huh.

The House of the Undying was, well, pretty badly done all the way around.

It really did not make any sense - my wife (who only read the first book) had no freaking idea what that was all about.

1. Daeny goes into tower.
2. Daeny wanders about in snow. Snow?
3. Daeny sees her dead husband and dead child. So sad.
4. ???
5. Daeny is chained up? WTF? Did we miss something?
6. Daeny's dragon burn up the warlock. What? How? Why did he just stand there while they kill him? Huh?
7. Daeny is free! Yeah!

The entire episode felt very, very rushed, and yet they spent a (relative) lot of time on stuff that seemed superfluous, like Robb's conversation with his mother, and Stannis' with Melisandre.

The overall bit with John was not well done either, IMO. In the books, it is clear why Qorin and John are fighting, and what Qorin is trying to accomplish. The show seemed confusing - again, my wife was all "Why is Qorin attacking him? How does he know John is a traitor? What?".

Compared to the way season 1 ended, this was hugely disappointing, IMO.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Fate

Did she watch the previous episode? I haven't read the books but it seemed pretty clear to me what was going on. If you missed that part in episode 9 then it might have been confusing.

I agree with you on the whole Warlock tower sequence. I mean he does explain the dragons appear more powerful with her near them, so I guess it was the first time they could really spit napalm. But the way they killed the Warlock was so anti-climatic. He just stands there and takes it. Do some magic! Shit, the last time you turned into 10 people and cut 10 throats simultaneously. I guess they burned their CGI budget on Blackwater.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Berkut on June 04, 2012, 11:09:38 AM
Huh.

The House of the Undying was, well, pretty badly done all the way around.

It really did not make any sense - my wife (who only read the first book) had no freaking idea what that was all about.

1. Daeny goes into tower.
2. Daeny wanders about in snow. Snow?
3. Daeny sees her dead husband and dead child. So sad.
4. ???
5. Daeny is chained up? WTF? Did we miss something?
6. Daeny's dragon burn up the warlock. What? How? Why did he just stand there while they kill him? Huh?
7. Daeny is free! Yeah!

The overall bit with John was not well done either, IMO. In the books, it is clear why Qorin and John are fighting, and what Qorin is trying to accomplish. The show seemed confusing - again, my wife was all "Why is Qorin attacking him? How does he know John is a traitor? What?".
The dragons are powering the warlocks magic and they are more powerful if Dany is there. The warlocks are casting illusions to make her want to say at the tower. Offering her the Iron throne and her husband. That doesn't work so they chain her with magic. The Dragons are as I mentioned above the source of the warlock's magic, that's why he can't defend against their flame.

The Qorin-John fight makes perfect sense if you remember their interactions in episode 8.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grallon

This episode seems to bring us at the end of book 3 - which was the last I read... Although we didn't see the Red Wedding.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Grallon

As I said... it's all hazy.  I haven't read those books in more than 10 years.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel