News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

I understand the Tyrell's are angry at Stannis but what's their angle of backing the Lannister?

@Siegy, you are asking for things that are not possible to do with a tv show even if you threw unlimited funds at it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Fate

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 28, 2012, 09:06:22 PM
I understand the Tyrell's are angry at Stannis but what's their angle of backing the Lannister?

@Siegy, you are asking for things that are not possible to do with a tv show even if you threw unlimited funds at it.

Well Renly is dead and Margaery is young and single. She'd probably be the power behind the throne so any future heirs would serve Tyrell interests. Even if they didn't hate Stannis for killing Renly, he's already married and wouldn't ever ditch his wife. Robb can't even defend his own capital and doesn't have any aspirations for the Iron Throne so that makes him a poor prospect. Joffery's their best ticket to power. Offing Sansa for treason or sending her to a convent of the seven, or whatever you do to get rid of women in Game of Thrones-land seems like something Joffery wouldn't hesitate to do if it means he wins the war.

Queequeg

Quote from: Siege on May 28, 2012, 08:03:31 PM
I really don't like the armor they wear in the show.
Why couldn't they go for classical medieval armor?
Those lanister helmets are ridicoulus.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Jaron

One thing to know about the Tyrells if you haven't read the books is that the head of their house is very ambitious but not very clever - The Tyrells are also thought of as upstarts as far as noble lineages go - the opportunity for them to have a queen on the throne and be related to the future king of Westeros is too tempting to pass up.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Jaron

I wonder what they're going to do with Tyrion. In the book he was pretty hideously disfigured, but it seems he just got a little slash across the face. I don't think they'll remove his nose-- it would probably be too expensive for the cosmetics and such (or could interfere with the acting, expressions and such). Maybe they'll just give him a scar across his face.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Jaron on May 28, 2012, 11:28:02 PM
One thing to know about the Tyrells if you haven't read the books is that the head of their house is very ambitious but not very clever - The Tyrells are also thought of as upstarts as far as noble lineages go - the opportunity for them to have a queen on the throne and be related to the future king of Westeros is too tempting to pass up.
The Tyrells have ruled The Reach for 300 years. The standards of Westeros are skewed.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

300 years is nothing - the other families have ruled since Mythological ages in Westeros.

Eddie Teach

Didn't the Targaryens rule for 300 years?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jaron

Martinus

So has anyone yet trolled people who didnt read the book by telling them Tyrion dies on the 9th episode much like Ned did in season 1?

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 29, 2012, 12:12:10 AM
Didn't the Targaryens rule for 300 years?

But Targaryens had dragons.

Solmyr

Not likely anyone would fall for that, Tyrion's wound on the show didn't look remotely like something you could die from.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Solmyr on May 29, 2012, 01:14:55 AM
Not likely anyone would fall for that, Tyrion's wound on the show didn't look remotely like something you could die from.
Can't amputate his face if the wound goes gangrenous.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on May 28, 2012, 07:29:23 PM
Hmmm.

I was actually a bit dissapointed in the Blackwater episode. I know they spent extra money on it, and there were certainly some very cool scenes, but...well, it still looked small.

ALl the fighting was outside one gate, you never got the feeling there were more than a couple hundred men total involved.

Still a lot of fun, but not as epic as I hoped for...
In the book, I never got the impression the battle was elsewhere but at the mud gate.  Most of Stannis fleet was destroyed and he landed a small force somewhere he could.  Wich probably explains the low number of troops and the lack of siege engines.  Or he intended to build them on place, during a long siege.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Not sure if this has been posted before. it probably has.

But it explains all the nudity on the show.

http://www.tvfanatic.com/videos/game-of-thrones-skit-on-saturday-night-live/
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011