News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

The cute one is Ygritte, the other is Theon's sister.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Hm, this was probably the weakest episode so far, while the previous one was maybe the best. Big contrast.

What I don't geti:
-why is Jon captured like that? Would have been cool for him to kill the one-armed fellow. Supposedly that act was in the trailer.

-if they are merging Quarth and the city with the Unsullied (which makes perfect sense, I didnt remember they were different, actually), where are the Unsullied? isnt it high time to introduce them?

-Jaime's escape scene was retarded, it wasnt necessary to kill that guy for itt

I like Ygritte though.

Josquius

Yeah, I didn't get Jaime's escape at all....

And they're merging Qarth and the unsullied city? Really? That seems...weird to me....I don't see that they're going down that road at all, they've just extended Qarth so a bit more happens there.

Too pretty thing: really? People are complaining about Asha and Ygrette?
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 14, 2012, 08:13:20 PM
The cute one is Ygritte, the other is Theon's sister.

Asha is uglier than Brienne.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on May 15, 2012, 03:01:23 AM
Hm, this was probably the weakest episode so far, while the previous one was maybe the best. Big contrast.
Agree.  Way too much talking to little point in this episode.  Dani's visit to the House of the Undying should definitely have taken place in this episode, just to give it some spice and action.

QuoteWhat I don't geti:
-why is Jon captured like that? Would have been cool for him to kill the one-armed fellow. Supposedly that act was in the trailer.
The only thing I can think of is budget.  maybe they have something expensive they need to save up for.

Quote-if they are merging Quarth and the city with the Unsullied (which makes perfect sense, I didnt remember they were different, actually), where are the Unsullied? isnt it high time to introduce them?

My impression was that the unsullied came later in the series (book 3?).  Agree that there seems no reason to have Danerys go to another city indistinguishable from the one she is in.

Quote-Jaime's escape scene was retarded, it wasnt necessary to kill that guy for itt

True.  The first bit of ham-handed writing in the series, I thought.  The whole escape thing was implausible and unnecessary, [spoiler]though it does set up Catelyn Stark to be the one to amputate his hand.[/spoiler]

QuoteI like Ygritte though.

I thought those scenes were unnecessarily long and repetitive, like most of the scenes in this episode. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Viking

Quote from: grumbler on May 15, 2012, 06:38:56 AM[spoiler]though it does set up Catelyn Stark to be the one to amputate his hand.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Fuck, this might mean we have no goat, no bear and the maiden "fair", obviously no amory lorch dancing with the same bear and apparently no weasle soup.[/spoiler]
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Viking on May 15, 2012, 09:04:39 AM
Quote from: grumbler on May 15, 2012, 06:38:56 AM[spoiler]though it does set up Catelyn Stark to be the one to amputate his hand.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]the maiden "fair",.[/spoiler]
I'm 99% sure we'll get that next season. [spoiler]The Reeds and the Tully's can be pushed back to next season without causing any major changes.[/spoiler]
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Queequeg

Quote from: Tamas on May 15, 2012, 03:01:23 AM
-Jaime's escape scene was retarded, it wasnt necessary to kill that guy for itt

I like Ygritte though.
That's kind of Jaime's MO, though.  Flashy, brutal, and not always extremely sensible.  He's kind of a Drag queen version of Sandor Clegane at this point. 

I think the last two episodes might be the best in the series.  The coup in Qarth was an extremely memorable scene, and I think they are handling Theon's decline very well.  I also love the motif for it-the piece of music at the end of the episode is positively terrifying. 

Also, the scene with Tywinn and Arya was wonderful. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

grumbler

Quote from: Queequeg on May 15, 2012, 12:44:05 PM
I have come to like Charles Dance's acting (and the writing for his role) quite a bit.  He is a much more believable character than the Tywin in the book
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HVC

Quote from: grumbler on May 15, 2012, 01:58:33 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on May 15, 2012, 12:44:05 PM
I have come to like Charles Dance's acting (and the writing for his role) quite a bit.  He is a much more believable character than the Tywin in the book
Even the girls acting is well done.

Any Cerci scenes annoy me. not sure if it's the acting or the character herself.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: HVC on May 15, 2012, 04:18:11 PM
Any Cerci scenes annoy me. not sure if it's the acting or the character herself.

The character is pretty awful, i.e one-dimensional.  She is basically there to be a foil for more authorially preferred characters like Tyrion.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Viking

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 15, 2012, 05:15:41 PM

The character is pretty awful, i.e one-dimensional.  She is basically there to be a foil for more authorially preferred characters like Tyrion.

I agree there, she is a foil in the first two books. Her actions drive the narrative. We get to know her much better in the books later when we get Cersei POV chapters. I get the impression that Lena Heady's Cersei is more the paranoid psycho-mom of the later books than the über-manipulative sexpot impression we get from the first books.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Viking on May 15, 2012, 05:21:14 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 15, 2012, 05:15:41 PM

I agree there, she is a foil in the first two books. Her actions drive the narrative. We get to know her much better in the books later when we get Cersei POV chapters. I get the impression that Lena Heady's Cersei is more the paranoid psycho-mom of the later books than the über-manipulative sexpot impression we get from the first books.
I think the later books have influenced the interpretation of several characters. I don't remember Dany being this annoying early on.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Wow, you guys are weird. I think the show's Cersei is one of the most complex and interesting characters - and it seems the general consensus of critics/commentators is the same. You sometimes interpret this show like teenage nerds.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Martinus on May 16, 2012, 01:13:58 AM
Wow, you guys are weird. I think the show's Cersei is one of the most complex and interesting characters - and it seems the general consensus of critics/commentators is the same. You sometimes interpret this show like teenage nerds.

Eh. She's a shallow, incompetent and spiteful fool. That's her role. And she looks like Skeletor. I don't see the complexity, nor the attraction. I'll cop to being a nerd, but "I'll do dumb self-destructive things and make everyone hate me because I love my kids" is not exactly a claim to depth.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers