News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on May 10, 2012, 02:55:53 PM
I'm surprised some people don't like the last episode - I thought it was one of the best if not the best of the series. Most reviewers agree with me.

More importantly: I agree with you, too.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on May 10, 2012, 02:55:53 PM
I'm surprised some people don't like the last episode - I thought it was one of the best if not the best of the series. Most reviewers agree with me.

I came away from it not caring about any of the characters except Arya.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

I'll feel better about it once I get confirmation that the "Volantene" girl in Robb's camp is actually Jeyne Westerling in disguise, and they aren't going to throw in a "marrying a commoner" cliche.

Also, lacking Meera and Jojen is not so good.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Viking

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 10, 2012, 03:49:49 PM
I'll feel better about it once I get confirmation that the "Volantene" girl in Robb's camp is actually Jeyne Westerling in disguise, and they aren't going to throw in a "marrying a commoner" cliche.

Also, lacking Meera and Jojen is not so good.

I think they are trying to reduce the exposition needed  to explain that [spoiler]maggie the frog married a spicer who's daughter married a westerling who's daughter is jeyne westerling[/spoiler].

Meera and Jojen might be introduced after the escape when bran, rickon, hodor and osha enter a swamp. They do need somebody to take rickon to the place that [spoiler]wyman manderley needs a smuggler to get to[/spoiler].
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Habbaku

The fifth book meanders quite abit as well, but at least has several scenes to make up for it.  As stated, though, good editing couldv've condensed them to a single, large work.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Solmyr

Something I noticed in the previous episode - Jaqen refers to the Red God rather than the Faceless God. Does this mean they are going to conflate the two?

Also, I loved the Tywin & Arya scenes. Amory Lorch's entrance was hilarious. :menace:

Jacob

Gemma Whelan (Asha/ Yara) looks like she's related to Russell Crowe.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Solmyr on May 13, 2012, 03:32:36 PM
Something I noticed in the previous episode - Jaqen refers to the Red God rather than the Faceless God. Does this mean they are going to conflate the two?

Also, I loved the Tywin & Arya scenes. Amory Lorch's entrance was hilarious. :menace:
I think he did that in the book. He didn't talk about the faceless god until later.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

So the "mystery" nurse is indeed Jeyne Westerling.  Nice :)  I understand why he'd pick her instead of a Frey girl :D
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Martinus

Im really loving Arya and Ygritte. These girls have spunk. :D

Martinus

Wow, a powerful episode. I really like the women of this story. Most of the men, on the other hand, are just boys.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Martinus on May 14, 2012, 03:53:41 PM
Wow, a powerful episode. I really like the women of this story. Most of the men, on the other hand, are just boys.

Kinda like all advertising. You ever notice that? The guys are always doofuses who really should listen to their wives. It's a sexist industry.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

HVC

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 14, 2012, 05:18:53 PM
Quote from: Martinus on May 14, 2012, 03:53:41 PM

Kinda like all advertising. You ever notice that? The guys are always doofuses who really should listen to their wives. It's a sexist industry.
Wives buy household shit, on average. make them feel good and they'll but your shit :lol:

As for the episode, meh. Seemed weak to me.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?