News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on May 09, 2012, 12:58:42 AM
I don't really care what happens south of the Wall beyond a vain hope that the aristocratic class will be wiped out. I would, however, watch a series focusing exclusively on the Night's Watch, perhaps called 'Ice Wall Trekkers' or something.

Yeah, the exploits at the wall became my favourite part of the books.  Probably because it was the one location where the story lines didnt become hopelessly lost.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadImmortalMan

HBO really needs to restructure their revenue model...
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

viper37

when I started watching this show, I went to my cable provider's web site to watch it on-line.  The quality was awful.  480p at most.
So I ended up downloading the torrents for the first 4 episodes.  In HD format that was decent to look at.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

The question is, does mass piracy really affect their bottom-line? In the overwhelming majority of cases, people pirate TV shows because they cannot get them legally, or because they cannot afford them anyway, or because they want to try it out before they commit to buying it and realize they don't really like it. Provided that the show is good and the producer's business model is not to dupe people into buying shit (HBO's isn't - that's more of a m.o. of failed "blockbusters") each of these groups is likely to become a paying customer down the line, and the earlier piracy simply creates viewer loyalty to the series.

I wonder when media companies will finally realize that the world has moved on and they need to change their business model.

Josephus

Quote from: Martinus on May 10, 2012, 01:28:03 AM
The question is, does mass piracy really affect their bottom-line? In the overwhelming majority of cases, people pirate TV shows because they cannot get them legally, or because they cannot afford them anyway, or because they want to try it out before they commit to buying it and realize they don't really like it. Provided that the show is good and the producer's business model is not to dupe people into buying shit (HBO's isn't - that's more of a m.o. of failed "blockbusters") each of these groups is likely to become a paying customer down the line, and the earlier piracy simply creates viewer loyalty to the series.

I wonder when media companies will finally realize that the world has moved on and they need to change their business model.

Do you have anything to back that up, cause I don't think that's the case at all.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josephus on May 10, 2012, 07:08:19 AM

Do you have anything to back that up, cause I don't think that's the case at all.

Most comments on reddits Game of Thrones threads reflect has much. None subscribe to HBO but most buy the Blurays.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

he used to pirate it, then saw an HBO Go ad in The Advocate.

grumbler

Which group do you think won't produce any paying customers?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Viking

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 09, 2012, 07:06:28 AM
I did not like the last episode, it was a boring mess except for the parts in Kings Landing.

Ygritte looks way too clean and Jon Snow is that much of an idiot?
I'm shouting "You know nothing Jon Snow!!!!!!" every time Ygritt opens he mouth.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

HVC

So i've been reading the series. The 4th book just meanders a lot. Is the 5th one even worth getting?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

Quote from: HVC on May 10, 2012, 01:03:56 PM
So i've been reading the series. The 4th book just meanders a lot. Is the 5th one even worth getting?

It gets better in the 5th book. 4th = LOLWTF
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on May 10, 2012, 01:03:56 PM

The 5th is better than the 4th but yeah they probably could have been combined into one book with decent editing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

I'm surprised some people don't like the last episode - I thought it was one of the best if not the best of the series. Most reviewers agree with me.