News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Introduced, certainly, but not fleshed out.  It'll be better if we see them a few more times before the end of season 3.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on May 08, 2012, 03:21:33 AM
They're really heading off down a totally different path to the books here.
Which...I don't mind really. I already know the plot of the books which I think hinders my enjoyment of the series a little (though adds to it in other ways)

I enjoyed the episode.  That was partly due to the fact that they have deviated so far from the books that I look at it as its own story now. 

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 08, 2012, 10:42:50 PM
I enjoyed the episode.  That was partly due to the fact that they have deviated so far from the books that I look at it as its own story now. 

It'll be interesting to see if they keep anything of the same tone/theme or if it'll take an entirely different approach. I agree that with this most recent episode the deviations have finally reached a point where a different story is emerging.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grinning_Colossus

I don't really care what happens south of the Wall beyond a vain hope that the aristocratic class will be wiped out. I would, however, watch a series focusing exclusively on the Night's Watch, perhaps called 'Ice Wall Trekkers' or something.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

grumbler

Quote from: Habbaku on May 08, 2012, 07:33:08 PM
to insert them into the series, but the reminder from Catelyn to Robb this week about the marriage contract is at least a small step in the direction of making them important.  Considering the preview clips, I suspect we'll hear more about the Freys soon enough.

I also have hopes that we'll see a good amount more of them in season 3, due to the way the season will likely end.  It wouldn't have quite the punch if they didn't go to some length to develop the Freys, after all.

I may be over-remembering the number of Freys with Robb in the campaign now being shown.  My memory is that there was a mess of them, and that some became close friends.  Maybe that's just not quite true, though.

But you are right; there is plenty of time for the Frey part of the story to develop.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on May 08, 2012, 11:32:52 PM

It'll be interesting to see if they keep anything of the same tone/theme or if it'll take an entirely different approach. I agree that with this most recent episode the deviations have finally reached a point where a different story is emerging.

I don't see that at all.  The story is in a different medium, but I don't see significant changes in the story at all.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

I did not like the last episode, it was a boring mess except for the parts in Kings Landing.

Ygritte looks way too clean and Jon Snow is that much of an idiot?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

jimmy olsen

Rory McCann amazing audition for the Sandor Clegane role. How could they leave this scene out!?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIWX2fPx-5k

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 09, 2012, 07:06:28 AM
I did not like the last episode, it was a boring mess except for the parts in Kings Landing.

Ygritte looks way too clean and Jon Snow is that much of an idiot?

He's a 14 17 year old boy from the North. Of course he's an idiot.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Grey Fox

How am I suppose to know that? They casted a someone who looks like he's 30.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 09, 2012, 08:32:10 AM
How am I suppose to know that? They casted a someone who looks like he's 30.

I don't think that you should lets facts stand in the way of your opinions.  If you think Snow is an idiot, his age doesn't matter.

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on May 09, 2012, 04:51:54 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 08, 2012, 11:32:52 PM

I don't see that at all.  The story is in a different medium, but I don't see significant changes in the story at all.

The characters are beginning to diverge sharply that it seems that it may be hard to fit the characters they have into the same story.  Plots seem to be swirling about as well though I can understand some of it as a way keeping the show spritely and glossing over unnecessary bits of the book.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on May 09, 2012, 08:38:43 AM
The characters are beginning to diverge sharply that it seems that it may be hard to fit the characters they have into the same story.  Plots seem to be swirling about as well though I can understand some of it as a way keeping the show spritely and glossing over unnecessary bits of the book.

The medium demands a minimum of characters, so many characters have to do double or triple duty.  That doesn't seem to be changing the story itself, yet.  I could be missing something, though; can you give me some examples of characters that you don't see fitting into the (book series) story any more?

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: Habbaku on May 08, 2012, 07:40:52 PM
Introduced, certainly, but not fleshed out.  It'll be better if we see them a few more times before the end of season 3.
IIRC, we see the Freys fleshed out only after the Red Wedding.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on May 09, 2012, 04:49:55 AM
I may be over-remembering the number of Freys with Robb in the campaign now being shown.  My memory is that there was a mess of them, and that some became close friends.  Maybe that's just not quite true, though.

But you are right; there is plenty of time for the Frey part of the story to develop.
[spoiler]It is said some became close friends with Rob, one who died, one who was absent from the Red Wedding.  Other than that, a few words from Robb's mother, that's all.

[/spoiler]
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.