And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solmyr

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on April 17, 2012, 10:52:00 AM
Use spoiler tags, you gits. There's people who haven't read the books in here.

While I could see that for the most recent book, all the others have been out for years...book 1 debuting in 1996. If someone hasn't availed themselves by now, not really sure whose at fault. Just looked and the 4th book has been out for 7 years. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on April 17, 2012, 11:06:17 AM
While I could see that for the most recent book, all the others have been out for years...book 1 debuting in 1996. If someone hasn't availed themselves by now, not really sure whose at fault. Just looked and the 4th book has been out for 7 years. ;) 

This thread is about the TV show Game of Thrones, not the book series A Song of Ice and Fire .  People interested in the show but not in reading the books should not have their story spoiled by gits too lazy or stupid to spoiler-tag information which refers to events in the show's future.

In the book thread, you may be correct to assume that people entering the thread have read the books.  ;)
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

I don't care either way as I'm not posting any spoilers, but it isn't surprising that many people who read the books are speaking about what my occur further in the series. After all, the tv show has followed pretty closely to many of the major plots.  It might be difficult for people to completely divorce those two.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on April 17, 2012, 11:19:32 AM
I don't care either way as I'm not posting any spoilers, but it isn't surprising that many people who read the books are speaking about what my occur further in the series. After all, the tv show has followed pretty closely to many of the major plots.  It might be difficult for people to completely divorce those two.

It isn't difficult; you just use the spoiler tags [spoiler]like this[/spoiler] when referring to events in the books that haven't been covered yet in the series.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Non book readers may be interested in this site.

http://winteriscoming.net/
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

crazy canuck

I agree with Grumbler, it will be interesting to see how dark they go in the coming episodes.  Based on the last episode I think they will be constrained to some extent by their budget.  As an example, the cutting comment by Lady Stark that Rob was fighting a war not playing at one, lost a bit of its edge because it looked like she was in a war camp - mainly because it was a low budget scene.

[spoiler] In the book her comment is much more cutting because the tournament in which Brienne and Loras fight is much more grand, with large numbers of knights, colourful banners and tents and all the pomp and circumstance of the tournament at King's Landing (before the war).  But the budget was too small to convey that feeling.

I wonder whether the budget will be large enough to convey the horror in kind of devestation portrayed in the books. [/spoiler]

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on April 17, 2012, 11:23:02 AM
Quote from: garbon on April 17, 2012, 11:19:32 AM

It isn't difficult; you just use the spoiler tags [spoiler]like this[/spoiler] when referring to events in the books that haven't been covered yet in the series.

Formatting can be a pain, especially when on a non-traditional device like a tablet.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on April 17, 2012, 12:16:14 PM
Formatting can be a pain, especially when on a non-traditional device like a tablet.

So don't post spoilers at all when on a non-traditional device like a tablet.  Problem solved, everyone happy.

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

KRonn

I'm really liking Tyrion, Peter Dinklage's portrayal of him. Doing a great job. The palace intrigue he gets into is pretty awesome, just as in the books.

viper37

Quote from: KRonn on April 22, 2012, 08:52:41 PM
I'm really liking Tyrion, Peter Dinklage's portrayal of him. Doing a great job. The palace intrigue he gets into is pretty awesome, just as in the books.

I was just gonna post that! :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Queequeg

So is Melisandre's religion basically right?  There is some indication that the Old Gods exist and have power, as opposed to the Seven, but it would seem that a God of Fire that is capable of granting some pretty impressive abilities and is at constant war with a "Great Other" who is associated with darkness and ice, and who's minions are weak to fire, would fit in to the established mythos pretty easily. If anything, a bit too easily. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Queequeg on April 23, 2012, 01:20:37 AM
So is Melisandre's religion basically right?  There is some indication that the Old Gods exist and have power, as opposed to the Seven, but it would seem that a God of Fire that is capable of granting some pretty impressive abilities and is at constant war with a "Great Other" who is associated with darkness and ice, and who's minions are weak to fire, would fit in to the established mythos pretty easily. If anything, a bit too easily.
One wonders how the Seven gained so many followers if there's nothing to it and there are competing religions with real power. I haven't read books 4 or 5 though.

1 Karma Chameleon point