News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

I really liked her in Henry VIII, she had the best wife role. Good to see her back and nicely boob-baring again.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

grumbler

We are coming up to one of the truly dark portions of the series.  I will be interested to see how dark the producers decide to go.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on April 16, 2012, 03:21:56 PM
"Do you want my brother to come in and help?"

Best line of the episode.  :lol:

I like how skillful Margery appears. I'm reading the books again and maybe I'll unpack something I forgot/never discovered but I don't remember that. Of course, one really can't expect less from Anne Boleyn.

Also, love the appearance of Brienne. :wub:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

Quote from: garbon on April 16, 2012, 08:46:50 PM
I like how skillful Margery appears. I'm reading the books again and maybe I'll unpack something I forgot/never discovered but I don't remember that. Of course, one really can't expect less from Anne Boleyn.

No, they're definitely changing Margaery's character to a small degree.  We're basically getting book 4's Margaery ahead of time.  She wasn't nearly as fleshed-out in book 2.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Last night's episode was definitely the best of the season thus far and gives me high hopes for the rest.  Next week is more Stannis.  :)
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Theon is also still the same bore but I guess I liked that they tried to redeem him slightly by the letter to Rob that he then burns.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Habbaku on April 16, 2012, 08:51:52 PM

No, they're definitely changing Margaery's character to a small degree.  We're basically getting book 4's Margaery ahead of time.  She wasn't nearly as fleshed-out in book 2.

Ah cool. Yeah, I didn't remember finding her particularly interesting in book 2 but then Renly wasn't such an over homosexual either.

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on April 16, 2012, 08:02:10 PM
We are coming up to one of the truly dark portions of the series.  I will be interested to see how dark the producers decide to go.

Sure thing, though I think they did alright with the killing of that boy.

edit: changed Sue to Sure. :blush:

Habbaku

Agreed.  I watch GoT each week with a small group and the non-readers in the crowd were very surprised that they were so overt about that death.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

garbon

Martinus

I like that a lot (they should do a Renly/Loras/Margaery spin-off) but I sure hope this is not done because they want to cut Olenna from the show and replace her plots with Margaery's. The Queen of Thorns is one of my favorite characters in the books, and having an old scheming crone would be a hoot on the show too, imo.

I mean, unlike a lot of other pretty bland characters they have removed, Olenna is awesome. She calls her guards "Left" and "Right", has a lot of snarky lines about Mace Tyrell, and then there is the whole "Bear" song that must make it into the show. Yeah, after some thought, I can't imagine them cutting her out - it's unthinkable.

Josquius

Where'd you hear this about cutting her?
That would suck.
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Quote from: Tyr on April 17, 2012, 03:29:50 AM
Where'd you hear this about cutting her?
That would suck.

In this thread.  :huh:

The Larch

Quote from: Martinus on April 17, 2012, 01:35:09 AM

I like that a lot (they should do a Renly/Loras/Margaery spin-off) but I sure hope this is not done because they want to cut Olenna from the show and replace her plots with Margaery's. The Queen of Thorns is one of my favorite characters in the books, and having an old scheming crone would be a hoot on the show too, imo.

I mean, unlike a lot of other pretty bland characters they have removed, Olenna is awesome. She calls her guards "Left" and "Right", has a lot of snarky lines about Mace Tyrell, and then there is the whole "Bear" song that must make it into the show. Yeah, after some thought, I can't imagine them cutting her out - it's unthinkable.

Olenna Tyrell MUST be played by Maggie Smith on her bitchiest incarnation of the Dowager Countess of Grantham.