Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Martinus on April 10, 2012, 08:57:36 AM
Quote from: Faeelin on April 10, 2012, 07:45:22 AM
Quote from: LaCroix on April 10, 2012, 03:15:54 AM
are you asking if there is an historical example of a person who because of his position of power is allowed to commit acts of utter horrific sadism? think on this, if you would

Sure. I can think of plenty of awful people. But I can't think of that many people who were evil towards their own subjects for the LOLZ YAY.

There aren't many kings (and rulers of nations) like this, but I would be surprised if this was that rare among local tyrants (the equivalent of counts and barons in CK2) who had absolute authority over their subjects. In fact, I can't think of a single reason why a petty lord could not be a psychopath.
would be a bad investment policy. No subjects, no income.

Martinus

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on April 11, 2012, 06:04:47 AM
would be a bad investment policy. No subjects, no income.

So what? A lot of people do not act in their long term best interest. If heirs to vast capitalist fortunes can squander them away, I don't see why heirs to feudal holdings can't.

Incidentally, another example of a sadist psychopath baron I just thought of is Gilles de Rais.

Faeelin

The only example I can think of is Gilles. The Bastard of Orkney was a capricious ruler who levied high taxes. Ramsay fucking hunts women he rapes and then turns them into belts, and everyone's reaction is "Oh better not piss him off!"

Valmy

Quote from: Faeelin on April 11, 2012, 07:48:31 AM
The only example I can think of is Gilles. The Bastard of Orkney was a capricious ruler who levied high taxes. Ramsay fucking hunts women he rapes and then turns them into belts, and everyone's reaction is "Oh better not piss him off!"

Obviously he is a bit extreme :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Ramsay is only in power amidst an anarchic situation though. How long has he had his position? A year at most maybe? A few months it feels more like. I'd think even a real world monster could get a good few months of carnage before his lord took notice.

Being a dick and killing peasants is bad business- true. But noble titles were inherited. To become the first of your family to be a noble you had to be rather good at whatever it is you do but after that all you have to do is be born the eldest son to noble parents. Not exactly selecting for the best business sense there.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Already confirmed that the 3rd season will only cover the 1st half of Storm of Swords.

The Larch

In other news, here's the theme song, as performed by the actors that play the Stark kids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REasBBiJm00

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on April 11, 2012, 08:05:16 AM
Ramsay is only in power amidst an anarchic situation though.

Yeah he only has his position because of his father and the chaotic position.  And even then people are hardly inspired by his leadership.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

He is the only ruler and person of power in the middle of a severly war-torn arid wasteland, of course he gets to do what he wishes.

Besides, he will soon be swept aside by Zombie Jon

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Larch on April 11, 2012, 09:06:20 AM
Already confirmed that the 3rd season will only cover the 1st half of Storm of Swords.

Ah, so that's how they plan to deal with Martin being so slow.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on April 11, 2012, 09:41:27 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 11, 2012, 09:06:20 AM

Ah, so that's how they plan to deal with Martin being so slow.

Just wait until they split A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Solmyr

Lettow77

Quote from: Martinus on April 11, 2012, 07:30:47 AM

Incidentally, another example of a sadist psychopath baron I just thought of is Gilles de Rais.

Did someone mention..Bluebeard the great?

It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Faeelin

Quote from: Solmyr on April 11, 2012, 12:57:23 PM
Quote from: Viking on April 11, 2012, 09:39:04 AM
Elizabeth Bathory?

Not to mention Vlad Dracula.

Isn't Vlad actully fairly well respected in Romania?