News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Most countries have more murders then they do deaths by combat.  This one included.  I bet if you compared the number of deaths by criminal homicide  to those killed in combat over the last three decades you will find that many more were killed in criminal acts. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on April 09, 2012, 01:21:11 AM
Most countries have more murders then they do deaths by combat.  This one included.  I bet if you compared the number of deaths by criminal homicide  to those killed in combat over the last three decades you will find that many more were killed in criminal acts.

Probably depends how you classify various killings. Are cops who get killed in shoot-outs with Mexican drug cartels victims of homicide? What about Tutsi killed by soldiers in Rwanda?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Josquius

Video games get rated MA all the time for violence, at least in the US.
And for sex they aren't allowed past the censors at all.

QuoteWhy don't you have a problem showing violence to kids?  I agree that your problem is pretty lame, but I don't think you quite realize what your problem actually is.
This is doubtless some pick at wording but....for the life of me I can't see what. Huh?
You've got things backwards. Its society which has no problem with showing violence to kids whilst it hates showing them anything sexual.

Quote from: Siege on April 09, 2012, 12:56:58 AM
Quote from: Tyr on April 08, 2012, 11:28:56 AM
its amusing/pretty lame the way modern society is so aghast at kids getting a hint of anything sexual but we've no problem with violence being shown to them.

"Modern society"?
This is the way it have ALWAYS been.
Violence is done and received in a community enviroment, with your family, kin and friends fighting and dying with you.
While sex is and have been a PRIVATE enterprise, done in the privacy of your home/shag/room/cave/hole in the ground.

Violence is public, sex is private.
This should be a concept easy to understand.

Not at all.
Traditionally people lived in one room houses....and had a shit tonne of kids. Not really any way to do that without the kids being exposed to what would be completely innapropriate to modern eyes.
Mix that with the way keeping animals was common place and kids have traditionally had a lot of exposure to sex.

Violence...a lot of exposure to that too what with slaughtering animals but it has always been regarded as a bad thing generally.  Man on man violence was not for children's eyes. Or anyone's officially what with it generally being illegal.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

There were plenty of public executions and gladiatorial games in the past that children would see.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on April 09, 2012, 02:36:04 AM
Violence...a lot of exposure to that too what with slaughtering animals but it has always been regarded as a bad thing generally.  Man on man violence was not for children's eyes. Or anyone's officially what with it generally being illegal.

In England they used to take kids to public executions to teach them morals.  So it is not your country you are talking about here...what are you thinking of?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on April 08, 2012, 11:17:27 PM
it's the same everywhere but in America.  This is why all the world is filled with moral degenerates fucking everyone and their dog while America is filled with moral degenerates killing everyone and their dog.
Not true.  In America, you get in trouble of you kill someone's dog.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

"Modern society"?
No, not really, not in all culture.  I think our current model of "virtue" derives from the Victorian era, the height of the British Empire.  I doubt ancient cultures everywhere were as prude as we are.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on April 09, 2012, 02:07:13 PM
can't you claim self defense in Florida?  Or is it only when the dog is black?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Habbaku

it's the same everywhere but in America.  This is why all the world is filled with moral degenerates fucking everyone and their dog while America is filled with moral degenerates killing everyone and their dog.

Not if you're a cop.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Siege

Quote from: viper37 on April 09, 2012, 02:15:41 PM
"Modern society"?
No, not really, not in all culture.  I think our current model of "virtue" derives from the Victorian era, the height of the British Empire.  I doubt ancient cultures everywhere were as prude as we are.

I have heard this theory before.
I have yet to see any proof of it.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Maximus

Hell you get in trouble if you kill your own dog.

Liep

In Denmark that's apparently legal if you warn the owner a year in advance.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Faeelin

So... can we ask a dance of dragons question here?

[spoiler]Is there any historical medieval  counterpart to RAmsay Bolton? Who would tolerate such a crazy monster?[/spoiler]