Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Quote from: Razgovory on April 07, 2012, 11:32:26 PM
Quote from: grumbler on April 07, 2012, 10:07:17 PM
Quote from: Siege on April 07, 2012, 09:50:14 PM
Yes, but now the kids cannot watch the show.
:huh:  You have kids?

He will.

Siege, the books are not children's books.  They are entertainment meant for adults.  The series reflects that.  Don't take that as me agreeing with the need for all the sex scenes, but this is not meant for kids.

Yes, but the story is great and teach kids about real life and bad people.
Besides, without GoT, the only thing left is LOTR and its fake green blob stealing Pelennor Fields from the sacrify of the real people of ME.
I'm not over the green blob yet.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Queequeg

I could see giving GoT to a mature 13-14 year old, but giving it to an actual kid strikes me as near-pathological.  There's graphic incest in the first 30 pages.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Josquius

its amusing/pretty lame the way modern society is so aghast at kids getting a hint of anything sexual but we've no problem with violence being shown to them.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on April 08, 2012, 10:20:11 AM

Yes, but the story is great and teach kids about real life and bad people.
Besides, without GoT, the only thing left is LOTR and its fake green blob stealing Pelennor Fields from the sacrify of the real people of ME.
I'm not over the green blob yet.

I don't think there a great deal to teach a kid about real life.  At least not anything that isn't in other novels.  There are also more then two sets of fantasy novels.  Harry Potter, the Wizard of Oz, and the Jungle Book are all fantasy books geared more toward children and have been made into films.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on April 08, 2012, 11:28:56 AM
its amusing/pretty lame the way modern society is so aghast at kids getting a hint of anything sexual but we've no problem with violence being shown to them.

Video games get rated MA all the time for violence, at least in the US.

grumbler

Why don't you have a problem showing violence to kids?  I agree that your problem is pretty lame, but I don't think you quite realize what your problem actually is.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Viking

Scandinavian sensors work the other way round with violence, even comic violence, being tabu while sex is not.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 08, 2012, 12:13:33 PM

I think it's a matter of degree, though.

Chainsaw carnage should be the equivalent of, say, BDSM child rape. One guy punching another should be the equivalent of, say, Janet Jackson showing a boob.

But they are not treated the same way.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on April 08, 2012, 02:29:28 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 08, 2012, 12:13:33 PM

I think it's a matter of degree, though.

Chainsaw carnage should be the equivalent of, say, BDSM child rape. One guy punching another should be the equivalent of, say, Janet Jackson showing a boob.

But they are not treated the same way.

Perhaps because your comparisons are flawed?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on April 08, 2012, 10:32:02 AM
I could see giving GoT to a mature 13-14 year old, but giving it to an actual kid strikes me as near-pathological.  There's graphic incest in the first 30 pages.

I just started reading the series again and I had forgotten that Catelyn's second chapter has her laying in bed thinking about Ned's seed in her. :x
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: Viking on April 08, 2012, 02:04:46 PM

Scandinavian sensors work the other way round with violence, even comic violence, being tabu while sex is not.
it's the same everywhere but in America.  This is why all the world is filled with moral degenerates fucking everyone and their dog while America is filled with moral degenerates killing everyone and their dog.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

The Wicked Witch of the West was a true visionary.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Siege

"Modern society"?
This is the way it have ALWAYS been.
Violence is done and received in a community enviroment, with your family, kin and friends fighting and dying with you.
While sex is and have been a PRIVATE enterprise, done in the privacy of your home/shag/room/cave/hole in the ground.

Violence is public, sex is private.
This should be a concept easy to understand.

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on April 09, 2012, 12:56:58 AM

"Modern society"?
Violence is done and received in a community enviroment, with your family, kin and friends fighting and dying with you.
While sex is and have been a PRIVATE enterprise, done in the privacy of your home/shag/room/cave/hole in the ground.

Thanks for the lesson in anthropology.  Unfortunately sexual activity isn't always private and violence isn't always public.  Murder is typically done in private and there are many occasions of ritual sex in history.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

Quote from: Razgovory on April 09, 2012, 01:08:06 AM
Quote from: Siege on April 09, 2012, 12:56:58 AM

"Modern society"?

Thanks for the lesson in anthropology.  Unfortunately sexual activity isn't always private and violence isn't always public.  Murder is typically done in private and there are many occasions of ritual sex in history.

Both of which are nowhere as common as public violence in war and private sex in marriage.
You fail!