News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Finally, GoT is starting the second season!  :)  After what seems years, just as if the show was being produced at the same pace RR Martin writes the books.   ;)

Grallon

'Power is power' - Quote of the week.  Just watched episode one - was last Sunday the 1st or 2nd episode of the season?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Habbaku

Quote from: KRonn on April 02, 2012, 08:13:28 PM
Finally, GoT is starting the second season!  :)  After what seems years, just as if the show was being produced at the same pace RR Martin writes the books.   ;)

:huh:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

LaCroix

Quote from: Grallon on April 02, 2012, 08:17:04 PM
'Power is power' - Quote of the week.

disagree. didn't sound quite as dumb in the show due to the scene and decent acting, but it is a pretty damn silly quote in text  :lol:

anyway, @episode: i'm no purist by any means, but i do think they probably should have had the prologue scene be at the beginning, and introduced those new characters better--especially melisandre. having talked to people who have only seen the show, her appearance was one of the more confusing aspects of the episode

also, that littlefinger-cersei interaction was sort of laughable and really against his character. as if baelish would openly ruin relations with the most powerful woman in the kingdom over a petty comment re: his past, and in such a blunt and obvious way

otherwise i enjoyed it. thought the last scene was very well done

Admiral Yi

Just watched episode one - was last Sunday the 1st or 2nd episode of the season?

In the US they showed the first episode yesterday.

LaCroix: I didn't interpret that scene as payback for the putdown, rather as an attempt to make Cersei concede Littlefinger's leverage.  Cersei's response was surprising and cool because she showed she is willing to fuck convention or appearances.

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 02, 2012, 09:06:15 PMLaCroix: I didn't interpret that scene as payback for the putdown, rather as an attempt to make Cersei concede Littlefinger's leverage.  Cersei's response was surprising and cool because she showed she is willing to fuck convention or appearances.

the scene was put there to both give littlefinger a role (he's not very prevalent in the second book, iirc) and to sow the seeds for the gestapo assault at the end of the episode. that interaction, and the on-screen murder of robert's bastards, never happened in the books. it was implied, and i do like how they took that implication and showed it on screen, but i felt the way they explained how cersei & co. discovered the location of the bastards was silly

instead of showing this by having littlefinger use the situation to further some goal of his, which is more keeping to his character of being possible the most skilled manipulator on the continent, they had him blow up and directly threaten someone who he never would have directly threatened in such an open way--and proceed to get utterly dominated by cersei like a little bitch

Josquius

Quote from: LaCroix on April 02, 2012, 08:49:15 PM
'Power is power' - Quote of the week.

disagree. didn't sound quite as dumb in the show due to the scene and decent acting, but it is a pretty damn silly quote in text  :lol:

anyway, @episode: i'm no purist by any means, but i do think they probably should have had the prologue scene be at the beginning, and introduced those new characters better--especially melisandre. having talked to people who have only seen the show, her appearance was one of the more confusing aspects of the episode

also, that littlefinger-cersei interaction was sort of laughable and really against his character. as if baelish would openly ruin relations with the most powerful woman in the kingdom over a petty comment re: his past, and in such a blunt and obvious way

otherwise i enjoyed it. thought the last scene was very well done

I think she rhiled him up a bit with mentioning his Catlyn relationship. That is his big weak spot which pushes him into irrationality.
██████
██████
██████

LaCroix

Quote from: Tyr on April 02, 2012, 09:17:08 PMI think she rhiled him up a bit with mentioning his Catlyn relationship. That is his big weak spot which pushes him into irrationality.

yes, that is what the show was saying, but that would never happened with book-littlefinger. his weakness for cat is one of the many reasons behind some of his plots and schemes, but no where does it suggest he couldn't hold his tongue and know his place when mocked by literally one of the most powerful people in the kingdom

jimmy olsen

Looks like Episode 2 is on the internets, anyone seen it?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

Quote from: Habbaku on April 02, 2012, 08:27:27 PM
Quote from: KRonn on April 02, 2012, 08:13:28 PM

:huh:
9 months is an eternity.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: LaCroix on April 02, 2012, 09:17:03 PM
instead of showing this by having littlefinger use the situation to further some goal of his, which is more keeping to his character of being possible the most skilled manipulator on the continent, they had him blow up and directly threaten someone who he never would have directly threatened in such an open way--and proceed to get utterly dominated by cersei like a little bitch
that was possibly put there to explain why he really doesn't care about the Lannisters anymore once he gets to marry Sansa's aunt and becomes lord of Harrenhal and the Eyrie.  He gets all this with Lannister's help, yet he seems to betray them.
It could be hard to understand his motivations, so introducing this scene dumbs down the requirements of understanding that Littlefingers plays for Littlefingers only.

LaCroix

Quote from: viper37 on April 02, 2012, 09:31:53 PMthat was possibly put there to explain why he really doesn't care about the Lannisters anymore once he gets to marry Sansa's aunt and becomes lord of Harrenhal and the Eyrie.  He gets all this with Lannister's help, yet he seems to betray them.

i don't see it, especially since (imo) the show has already more than demonstrated that littlefinger cares only about littlefinger.. cats aside

Martinus

Quote from: Tyr on April 02, 2012, 07:17:42 PM
The end with the guard taking over the city like that- wow. Just how busy was Robert? Every other house it seems holds one of his bairns.

Episode 2 gives a satisfying conclusion.  :cool:

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 02, 2012, 09:23:49 PM
Looks like Episode 2 is on the internets, anyone seen it?

I did. It's pretty cool. Tyrion-in-King's-Landing scenes really stand out. Especially his little supper with Lord Janos Slynt.