News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Melisandre is maybe the hottest thing ever.

Is Qarth based on Carthage?  Really looks to be, both stylistically and from what I am reading.  It even sounds like it; Qarth-Hadasht is the origin of Carthage, "New City".
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

katmai

Quote from: Queequeg on April 01, 2012, 11:52:13 PM

:x

Only if into pasty white chicks.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Viking

Is Qarth based on Carthage?  Really looks to be, both stylistically and from what I am reading.  It even sounds like it; Qarth-Hadasht is the origin of Carthage, "New City".

This makes Carthago Nova pretty much the most stupidly named city in world history.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Syt

Quote from: Viking on April 02, 2012, 12:19:07 AM

This makes Carthago Nova pretty much the most stupidly named city in world history.

Yes. My history teacher used to comment on that.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Viking

Quote from: Syt on April 02, 2012, 12:28:27 AM

Yes. My history teacher used to comment on that.

Ah, true history nerd street cred is getting harder and harder to come by.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 01, 2012, 09:08:14 PM
I assume every one has seen the series opener by now?

How about the Yuropeans?

It premieres on Monday here, just like the first season. Since Poland is ahead of the US in time zones, I presume it is so that the episodes are not leaked before they premiere in the US.

Martinus

Actually, it seems to be available on my HBO GO since yesterday and that's two episodes. So watching both tonight.

Queequeg

Happens all the time. I think it is pretty instructive of how massive the cultural divide was between Carthage and Rome, though.  You'd really expect there to be at least someone close to Scipio Africanus who spoke Punic.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Viking

Quote from: Queequeg on April 02, 2012, 01:39:38 AM
Happens all the time. I think it is pretty instructive of how massive the cultural divide was between Carthage and Rome, though.  You'd really expect there to be at least someone close to Scipio Africanus who spoke Punic.

The most roman thing of all is to slavishly copy the ancestors.
The second most roman thing of all is to make sure that everybody knows that the people who used to live here were killed by the romans.

So, if Scipio Africanus had somebody speaking Punic, upon hearing that Carthage means "New City" he would have gone out of his way to name the city "New New City". But, this is all redundant since the Barcids called it "Carthage", the same name as the home city.

viper37

Spartacus.  I knew where it was heading, I knew how this season would end. 

[spoiler]But still, it was great to see the end of Claudius Glaber.  The blond cutie might still be there by next year, though I've no idea what she will do.  Wasn't expecting the baby stuff though.  Shocking.[/spoiler]
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Viking

knowing a bit about history meant that that was always going to happen. What pisses me off remains the combat.

Eddie Teach

I thought you were really into Mideastern looks.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grallon

"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Grallon

"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel