News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Why did GRRM treated Brienne so bad?
I would have liked her character if she had looked like Sansa.

Anyway, I like that the stars have diferent names below the wall and beyong the wall.
The Stallion, The Galley, The Moonmaid, The King's Crown, The Shadowcat, The Ice Dragon, The Sword of the Morning...

Can you imagine the fight between Ned Stark and Arthur Dayne?
Two dudes with huge massive humungus swords.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Siege on March 22, 2012, 07:56:01 PM
Why did GRRM treated Brienne so bad?
I would have liked her character if she had looked like Sansa.

If she looked like Sansa, her character wouldn't make any sense.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Yeah, that was the whole point. A realistic warrior lady rather than the typical unrealistic fantasy trope of a hottie in a chainmail bikini.
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

...and ultimately won by a little dude with a frog-spear.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Siege

No doubt though, that Jon is Rhaegar's son, because otherwise the 3 dudes from the royal guard wouldn't have been there.
They would have been at the Trident, in which case Robert's Rebellion would have been crushed, which in turn brings to mind Rhaegar's stupidity.

Siege

Quote from: Habbaku on March 22, 2012, 10:15:11 PM

...and ultimately won by a little dude with a frog-spear.

I somehow doubt that a little dude with a frog spear can beat a fully armored knight of the White Guard, wielding the greatest sword ever made.
Something else happened there.

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on March 22, 2012, 10:14:23 PM
Yeah, that was the whole point. A realistic warrior lady rather than the typical unrealistic fantasy trope of a hottie in a chainmail bikini.

Yeah, real life female warriors didn't look like Red Sonja.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Siege on March 22, 2012, 10:34:24 PM
I somehow doubt that a little dude with a frog spear can beat a fully armored knight of the White Guard, wielding the greatest sword ever made.
Something else happened there.

Well, The Red Viper almost won his fight against the Mountain.  Had he not been careless in the end, he would have won.  In fact, in a real battle, he would have stabbed him a couple of times, then left him to die.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

I didn't think Oberyn intended to win.  Or at least didn't think he would have.  I thought his goal was make Clegane die in agony from poison.  Don't know what you are talking about "in a real battle".  Human beings are funny.  Sometimes one blow is enough to kill a full grown man.  Some times a person can take dozens of stab wounds and survive.  It can be hard to kill a person.  In a melee battle between two armored opponents it would be hard to tell which blows are fatal and which aren't.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Larch

Quote from: Razgovory on March 23, 2012, 02:30:10 PM
I didn't think Oberyn intended to win.  Or at least didn't think he would have.  I thought his goal was make Clegane die in agony from poison.  Don't know what you are talking about "in a real battle".  Human beings are funny.  Sometimes one blow is enough to kill a full grown man.  Some times a person can take dozens of stab wounds and survive.  It can be hard to kill a person.  In a melee battle between two armored opponents it would be hard to tell which blows are fatal and which aren't.

He wanted him to confess the murder of his sister and nephews, the death in agony was icing on the cake.

Tamas

Martinus

Quote from: The Larch on March 23, 2012, 02:35:13 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 23, 2012, 02:30:10 PM

He wanted him to confess the murder of his sister and nephews, the death in agony was icing on the cake.

That. Plus it was a delicious deconstruction of the Inigo Montoya trope.

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on March 23, 2012, 05:34:49 PM

Hello. My name is Oberyn Martell. You killed my sister. Prepare to die?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

Quote from: Viking on March 23, 2012, 08:56:37 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 23, 2012, 05:34:49 PM

Hello. My name is Oberyn Martell. You killed my sister. Prepare to die?

Yeah. It gets subverted because he dies himself. :P