News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on March 04, 2012, 09:06:09 PM
I can certainly understand some questions about how the physics of the world would work (as far as decades long summer/winter, etc.), but to describe the "world" as thin? Huh?

That is kind of dumbfounding to me - Westeros is many things, but I cannot think of any fantasy ever (LotR excepted, although it has become so iconic it is kind of hard to really judge) that has a more real feel to the world the author created.

Your mileage may vary.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

Quote from: Jacob on March 04, 2012, 07:40:58 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on March 04, 2012, 09:13:26 AM
That's one of the things I find so odd about the series. People praise the ASOIF for its worldbuilding, but it feels... thin.There isn't a lot of thought about how the world described would actually work.

That, and the fact that the various families have been around for thousands of years in some cases. It's just kind of weird.

I forgot in which book is it that a maester from the citadel says that the Age of Heroes was not 4000 years before but only half that much.
It brought the whole chronolgy under question.
IMO it is 1/4 of whatever time the myths claim.
Execpt the 300 years from Aegon's Conquest. That seems to be somewhat acurate.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Josquius

The families being around forever thing did always get me in that there aren't many instances of off shoots of the great families.
Sure, there's the two Lannisters and the Karstarks but you'd expect there to be a bazillion minor Starks et al around after 1000s of years. But there isn't.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

GRR was visiting Toronto this week.  He's got 200 pages written on the 6th book, only 1300 to go!
He's already speaking of being late for the release...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

I've grown my beard out.  I can do a passable impression of the man now.  It's weird.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Martinus

Phillip V

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on March 15, 2012, 03:06:44 PM
I've grown my beard out.  I can do a passable impression of the man now.  It's weird.

Any plans to finish the series when he kicks the bucket?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zanza

Isn't Jaime Lannister supposed to have blonde hair? Didn't he have much lighter hair in the first season?  :huh:

Josquius

I read that comment first and thought "dirt", then I looked at the previous page and thought "who the heck is that guy?"
Yes. Weird change.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 15, 2012, 03:42:34 PM

I can barely write a readable post.

Scipio

Quote from: Razgovory on March 15, 2012, 07:14:41 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 15, 2012, 03:42:34 PM

I can barely write a readable post.
Puts you light-years ahead of Martin.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Razgovory

Actually, I think his writing style is pretty good.  It's clean and the writing flows pretty well.  The problem is that he has lost sight of what he originally wanted to do.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: viper37 on March 15, 2012, 03:01:01 PM
GRR was visiting Toronto this week.  He's got 200 pages written on the 6th book, only 1300 to go!
He's already speaking of being late for the release...
I'm amazed he's already got 200 pages done.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

I'm not.  He was very open about some of the chapters that had been written for the 5th book being shifted to the 6th.  There's no telling how much of that 200 pages is actually stuff he's written since the release.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien