News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 13, 2012, 06:33:23 AM
Given the environment, a puppet ruler whether Tyrell or Lannister controlled doesn't have a great life expectancy. As Tommen's shown neither the shrewdness of his grandfather and uncle nor the personal charisma and prowess of his father/s, he'll be completely at the mercy of others and Lady Luck.

I dunno. As a young weak boy Tommen is such a puppet and his life so out of his own control that he makes for quite the prize for whoever holds him. He is the legitimate king (well...not really....but...you know) and nobody at court is out to change that, those who are keep dying fast, so its just a fight to kill each other off and hold Tommen.

Of course there's always the threat of Dani though.
And the developments of the 5th book.
██████
██████
██████

Siege

I don't think anybody in Westeros see Dani as a threat yet.

The Tyrells, well, the grandma seem the only one with brains in there.
Mace is ambitious but not too sneaky. Garlan is an unknown factor, but is very happy selling his sister to Joeffry. Willis is lame, but he ain't the Imp, and Loras sucks.

I don't think the Tyrells have what it takes to control Westeros. The Lannisters certainly did.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Josquius

Yeah, Dani isn't a threat. She was something Robert's advisors were mentioning as a "Finally on the agenda..." piece because there were no major major threats around. With actual enemies at the gate...she has fell off the radar largely.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

I bumped it for you.  Don't say I never did anything for you!  :D

Anyway.  I was thinking of something.  I'm almost finished with the 4th book.  The fifth is out, and I tought the 6th was coming this summer, but now I hear it's only for 2014.

Apparently, there are 7 books planned... for now.  And the author doesn't want anyone to finish his books after his death, and he seems kinda old.

So, should I really buy that 5th book right now??  Or wait for if&when he finishes the series?

So far, it seems the producers are accomodating him by splitting some seasons in 2 :P  Otherwise, they'd outpace him.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Personally I'm putting off getting the fifth book for a while.

Alcibiades

5th book was ok.  Picked up near the end of the books, but the first 3/4 was pretty slow.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Habbaku

Quote from: Alcibiades on March 02, 2012, 10:37:48 PM
5th book was ok.  Picked up near the end of the books, but the first 3/4 was pretty slow.

Yep.  The book had some excellent chapters (Theon), but dragged a bit too much.  Based upon the last portion of the book, I have high hopes for book 6 when it comes out in 2020.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

I am embarrased to admit I still haven't finished book 5. I am having trouble caring.

The Theon parts are excellent.

Dani is just fucking boring. She was one of the best storylines, and now I just don't fucking care anymore. I don't know what the point is - that entire storyline has completely lost its way, and just seems to be stumbling about going nowhere.

Tyrion?!??!! Riding a pig? Seriously? :bleeding:

Some deus ex sudden appearance of a Taergaryen? Shoot me.

And Jon is stumbling about up around the wall - that story is pretty decent, but again, it doesn't seem to be GOING anywhere.

I can't really say I am dissapointed, because I am saddened to notice that I mostly don't care that much. How did that happen? I loved these books and this world! And now I just can't bring myself to care. I WANT to care, I wish I could somehow make myself care...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josquius

Book 5 did really suck for Dani.
That's her entire story really, she has just got bogged down into dullness.

And I think its pretty sure that this new Targ is fake.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on March 02, 2012, 10:39:23 PM
Quote from: Alcibiades on March 02, 2012, 10:37:48 PM

Yep.  The book had some excellent chapters (Theon), but dragged a bit too much.  Based upon the last portion of the book, I have high hopes for book 6 when it comes out in 2020.

My reaction was the opposite.  When I finally struggled to the end my reaction that I got through a very poorly written book only to find a more poorly written ending. It was like the guy died but the publisher has kept it a secret by putting out a partly finished and largley unedited book.

Siege

So, Tywin Lannister planned the whole thing about getting Robb Stark to marry Jeyne Westerling, to force the Freys to switch sides.
I was shocked when I found out. Wasn't this a little too cunning for the Lannisters, more like Varys' or Littlefinger's MO?

Siege

Quote from: viper37 on March 02, 2012, 06:25:57 PM

I bumped it for you.  Don't say I never did anything for you!  :D

Thanks!

Siege

I would like to see an acurate map of the Eyre and the Vale of Arryn.
They appear to be two diferent valleys. The maps avaliable do not represent the geography correctly, in a military manner.
I cannot make heads and tails of this piece of terrain.

Eddie Teach

I doubt Martin can either. The Vale always struck me as one of those only-in-fantasy-land places.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?