News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Siege on February 12, 2012, 09:06:41 PM
Why would the Tyrells poison Joeffrey, when Margeary's children with him would rule, and thus placing a Tyrell grandson on the throne?

I think it was a risky move, from the Tyrell point of view. I think GRRM fucked this one.

I thought it was pretty obvious why.  :huh:

Martinus

Quote from: Tyr on February 12, 2012, 10:50:25 PM
Quote from: Siege on February 12, 2012, 09:26:46 PM

idk my bff image

I don't get it.

QuoteWhy would the Tyrells poison Joeffrey, when Margeary's children with him would rule, and thus placing a Tyrell grandson on the throne?

I think it was a risky move, from the Tyrell point of view. I think GRRM fucked this one.

1: Joffrey is almost an adult, he has a fully formed personality and is an ambitious self-serving git. Tommem is still a little kid, a lot easier to control.
2: They need to be rid of the Imp somehow, he's too good.

You are forgetting number 1 reason: Joffrey is a fucking psychopath. Tyrells may be power hungry but I don't think they want their daughter/granddaughter to be married to a psychopath who beats women. Plus, with Joffrey shaping up to be another Aerys the Mad King, the chances of a Tyrell grandson ruling after him are quite slim (especially compared to a potential Tyrell grandson through Tommen).

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on February 13, 2012, 03:07:58 AM
(especially compared to a potential Tyrell grandson through Tommen).

I don't know that that's a great bet either.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 13, 2012, 03:33:41 AM
Quote from: Martinus on February 13, 2012, 03:07:58 AM
(especially compared to a potential Tyrell grandson through Tommen).

I don't know that that's a great bet either.

Tommen is good-natured, easily controlled and having him married off (or bethrothed) to Margaery at an early age means she may actually compete with Cersei for the influence over him.

Plus as someone pointed out, murdering Joffrey and then framing the Imp means you get rid of one of the three Lannister siblings. You then get rid of Cersei by suggesting to Tywin she marries someone away from the King's Landing and you end up with Tyrells in a good position to exercise control.

Eddie Teach

Given the environment, a puppet ruler whether Tyrell or Lannister controlled doesn't have a great life expectancy. As Tommen's shown neither the shrewdness of his grandfather and uncle nor the personal charisma and prowess of his father/s, he'll be completely at the mercy of others and Lady Luck.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

[spoiler]So you guys are thinking Tyrion repeatedly taking credit for killing Joffrey once he leaves Westeros is a lie? I haven't got to the end of the last (newest) book quite yet.[/spoiler]
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

crazy canuck

MiM, I think it is more like deep sarcasm then a lie.

Razgovory

I thought it wasn't clear who did it.  It's never clear who is responsible for any given plot.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 13, 2012, 12:11:54 PM
MiM, I think it is more like deep sarcasm then a lie. 

Agreed.  It is clear from his own thoughts that he is not the killer.

Martin reveals who the killer is.  Just read the description of the murder, and then skip ahead to where Littlefinger is discussing it with Sansa.  It will all be very plain.

[spoiler]Littlefinger supplied the poison via Sansa's hair net, and Olenna Tyrell put it in Joffrey's wine.[/spoiler]

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Unless Littlefinger is lying of course.

But it is the simplest explanation that fits all the facts. I don't even know of another suspect who makes any real sense.

The goal of the Tyrells was to get Maegery on the throne. They did that via Joffrey, but he was not particularly stable, controllable, or even safe. So they killed him. After all, once he is out of the way, it's not like dealing with Cersei is any great difficulty - she is mostly an idiot, and even her brother is no longer really supporting her.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Martinus

Also, people should remember that after deaths of Renly and Robb, Lannisters are the only way for Tyrells to marry into a royal house. Stannis despises them and he is already married; Martells hate them; and Greyjoys are not really interested.

And unlike other great houses they don't even have a historical claim to any of the seven kingdoms.

Josephus

This thread should really be about the TV show only. There should be another thread for spoilers.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on February 13, 2012, 04:05:38 PM
Unless Littlefinger is lying of course.

But it is the simplest explanation that fits all the facts. I don't even know of another suspect who makes any real sense.

He could be lying, but he knew an awful lot about what happened at an event at which he was not present.  From a storytelling point of view, also, his being part of he conspiracy works well.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: Josephus on February 13, 2012, 05:17:59 PM
This thread should really be about the TV show only. There should be another thread for spoilers.

I think that ship sailed long ago. :P

crazy canuck

Yeah, this is definitely a read at your own risk thread.