News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Why are you people arguing the standards of beauty in a fictional time and place?  The only person who's opinion actually matters is Martin.  If he's they are ugly, they are ugly.  If he says they are beautiful, they are beautiful.  It's his world, he made it all up.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on July 20, 2011, 07:42:16 PM
Why are you people arguing the standards of beauty in a fictional time and place?  The only person who's opinion actually matters is Martin.  If he's they are ugly, they are ugly.  If he says they are beautiful, they are beautiful.  It's his world, he made it all up.

They are nerds.

The Larch

Some "Dance" comments below. No spoilers but you're forewarned, just in case. I post them here instead of in Viking's thread because I'm not done with the whole book yet.

Ok, I'm about halfway "Dance" at the moment, and I must say that Reek's chapters have a creepy way to turn my stomach that makes me difficult to keep reading right away. They're very interesting and plenty of relevant stuff happens...but damn are they disgusting.  :x

Best chapters so far have been, IMO, Jon's and Bran's, two characters which I didn't really enjoy in previous books. Melissandre's chapter has also been very revealing.
The worst are Dany's, terribly boring and filled with pussyfooting around and fuck all happening to advance her plot. I can't wait for people to actually start reaching her in order for something meaningful taking place. Also Tyrion's emo self loathing schtick is rubbing me the wrong way.

Solmyr

Eddie Teach

So anyone have any spoiler-free summary reviews of Dance With Dragons? Eg, "best book of the series so far" or "I think Martin has completely lost the plot" or something of that ilk.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Slargos

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 04, 2011, 04:18:26 PM
So anyone have any spoiler-free summary reviews of Dance With Dragons? Eg, "best book of the series so far" or "I think Martin has completely lost the plot" or something of that ilk.

From what I've read, it's the latter.

I feel relatively comfortable with my decision to drop this series. If he ever finishes it I may go through it again, but right now it just feels like a waste of time.

I tried listening to the Audiobook version briefly, but the guy reading them sounds like he's an 80 year old with throat cancer. Possibly in some sort of bid to make it sound elegant and old-timey. Just makes me want to poke my eardrums out.

Razgovory

Quote from: Faeelin on August 04, 2011, 04:23:04 PM
http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6579356/game-of-thrones-rpg

College Humor gets it done, as always.

Ugh.  I suppose the "Humor" in this refers to the "Humor" of the human body as per Greek Medicine. Bleh.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Faeelin on August 04, 2011, 04:23:04 PM
College Humor gets it done, as always.

Did you stop watching College Humor 3 years ago or something?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 04, 2011, 04:18:26 PM
Amazon has some fairly spoiler-free reviews. 

Personally, I thought that this latest book was loads better than the last one, but nor as good as the first three.  There were more reveals in this book than the last, but Martin continues to be an undisciplined writer who crams 600 pages of book into 1,000+ pages.  He continues to be very descriptive, so some readers will tolerate and even enjoy the digressions because of the quality of the writing.  I'd say it is a worthwhile read for the fan of the series, but that it also confirms what AFfC and the time spent writing it already indicated:  Martin doesn't really have much of a plan for this series and is just winging it. 

One-sentence summary:  I liked it well enough, but it is a book for the completist, and I'd have liked it twice as much were it half its size.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Solmyr

MadImmortalMan

HBO is selling some serious books for GRRM

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Books-Science-Fiction-Fantasy/zgbs/books/25/

He's in place 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12 and 19.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Alcibiades

About to start a Feast of Crows....well will hold off for a while, maybe Christmas I'm thinking.  Really affects my school work when I start reading these.

Goes downhill from here though, huh?   :(
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Alcibiades on October 11, 2011, 03:51:18 PM
About to start a Feast of Crows....well will hold off for a while, maybe Christmas I'm thinking.  Really affects my school work when I start reading these.

Goes downhill from here though, huh?   :(
They're still good reads, just not to the level of the first few.  Don't worry too much about it.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."