News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: The Larch on June 29, 2011, 09:21:07 AM
Damn, the places I get my info from are starting to get filled with potentially super-spoilery material. The next few weeks will be extremely tough...

Well, 13 days from now 800+ pages of spoilery material will be released.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

Damn, the places I get my info from are starting to get filled with potentially super-spoilery material. The next few weeks will be extremely tough...

I was so glad when westeros.org put on their gag order on discussing DWD.  Of course that also means nobody has anything interesting to say for the next two weeks.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

I suggest deleting the bookmark to the site until you've finished the book...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Siege

Quote from: Tyr on June 29, 2011, 07:57:24 AM
hmm, so in the books too Braavos is super north.
Less Venice than Amsterdam then.
Very unexpected.
Hard to imagine they could stay hidden so long at such an obvious strategic point

What you mean hidden?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Valmy

Quote from: Siege on June 29, 2011, 07:38:32 PM
Quote from: Tyr on June 29, 2011, 07:57:24 AM
hmm, so in the books too Braavos is super north.
Less Venice than Amsterdam then.
Very unexpected.
Hard to imagine they could stay hidden so long at such an obvious strategic point

What you mean hidden?

It was founded by slaves and other scum who escaped from old Valyria and hid from their former masters.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

And there they are right at the Horn of Esteros, a very obvious place indeed. There's not even all that many islands for them to hide amongst.
██████
██████
██████

Siege

Quote from: Tyr on June 30, 2011, 05:55:31 AM
And there they are right at the Horn of Esteros, a very obvious place indeed. There's not even all that many islands for them to hide amongst.

Ok. I see what you mean.
Venice is at the end of a gulf and away from the traditional sea routes between sicily and greece, and Rome or Masssilia and greece, while any northern trade route in the eastern continent in westeros (whatever its name is) would have to sail in front of Braavos.
What if Braavos sea access is hidden the way the magellean straits are hidden, wiht endless bays and twisting coastline?

Also, Valyria was in the south of the continent, so in a sense Braavos is as far away from the Valyrian center of power as you can physically get without crossing into Westeros.

Siege

I like Bronn in the books more than Bronn in the TV show.

Martinus

LOL Siege I like your sig, but you are not good looking, hun.  :hug:

jimmy olsen

NYTimes paperback best seller list

Game of Thrones is #1
Clash of Kings is #4
Storm of Swords is #6
A Feast for Crows is #8

http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-books/2011-07-10/mass-market-paperback/list.html
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Time for some dancing dragons.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

I have it preordered on my Kindle :)

Habbaku

FU.  I have to wait until mail delivery around 1.   :mad:

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Agelastus

Quote from: grumbler on April 16, 2011, 06:33:43 PM
Quote from: Gups on April 15, 2011, 03:24:05 AM
I read Gardens of the Moon recently. If you like reading D&D scenarios it's OK I guess. Won't bother with the rest of the series.
Agree.  I felt the same way about Wizards' First Rule (or something like that), which also spawned many sequels in spite of being just the exact Star Wars story only without space ships.

I understand perfectly why modern fantasy is so disdained.  It sucks.

Extremely belatedly, and also wishing that this forum had a multiquote system as I'd have liked to have included other posts from Grumbler and Raz.

Erikson's books improve; the two book climax of the series is well plotted, very satisfying, and leaves you guessing as to what certain characters exact plans and motivations are until the end.

It does, however, take an awfully long time to get there, and I think he could have cut the equivalent of at least three books from the sequence (since, for example, the fourth volume has a several hundred page first part that predates the previous three books, and the fifth volume, in its' entirety, takes place before the previous four.) His magic system is somewhat confusing as well, as the "warrens" the mages use are both sources of power and dimensions that can be travelled to.

"Gardens of the Moon" is distinctly average; but the third book, "Memories of Ice", is actually one of my favourite books of all time. Before my copy started falling apart, it was one of the books I dragged out to read the odd section of most often.

----------------

And Grumbler? Whether you meant it in jest or not, your subsequent post to the above flattered me immensely.

I'll drop the "Dear Boy" from now on...sorry...

-----------------------

And Raz? I can't recall - were you a member of Kapland? That "Lego buttplug" thing was the custom title Kap gave me over there after a particular chat session; I'd consider my usage of it to be an "in memoriam" tribute.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."