News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Habbaku on June 20, 2011, 04:29:33 PM
The peek at those three was pretty awesome.  I can only hope that Rorge and Biter are as "nice" as they are in the books.

Who do you think was the one hooded? I thought it was Biter, but some other people belive it was Jaqen the one who didn't show his face.

Josquius

Its not exactly Theon's place to say what happens with the Iron Islands though. Even assuming his dad is due to die within days.
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

Quote from: The Larch on June 20, 2011, 04:35:41 PM
The peek at those three was pretty awesome.  I can only hope that Rorge and Biter are as "nice" as they are in the books.

Who do you think was the one hooded? I thought it was Biter, but some other people belive it was Jaqen the one who didn't show his face.

Had to have been Jaqen.  Easiest way to avoid casting him until season 2 is to make sure you can't really see the actor's face.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Larch

Quote from: Habbaku on June 20, 2011, 04:42:11 PM
Quote from: The Larch on June 20, 2011, 04:35:41 PM

Had to have been Jaqen.  Easiest way to avoid casting him until season 2 is to make sure you can't really see the actor's face.

For some reason I assumed that Jaqen was the one shown in first term, the slightly redhead-ish one, with his distinctive hair colouring having been ditched in the adaptation.

I always wondered why Yoren would pick them for the Night's Watch, as they seemed to be beyond redemption and dangerous wildcards.

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on June 20, 2011, 04:36:35 PM
Its not exactly Theon's place to say what happens with the Iron Islands though. Even assuming his dad is due to die within days.
Agreed, but I don't think he said anything about what was going to happen with the Iron Islands while his dad was alive.  As Lord Greyjoy, it is very much his place to say what happens with the Iron Islands.  His submission to Robb would have been no different than Edmure Tully's (and the Riverlands had never been part of the historical Kingdom of the North, either).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

He's out of the inheritance as we see when he gets there. It isn't said explicity in the book but it seems to me the Iron Islands don't officially follow standard laws of succession and its just down to convention that they do the usual son follows father thing. Due their old traditions they've still got a bit of democracy rumbling there and its easier for them to switch than others.
Theon doesn't know this of course and is in for a nasty surprise but nonetheless I don't think he'd bend the knee to Robb. He sees himself as his brother, his equal, a situation which is increasingly changing as Robb takes on ever more duties and increasingly annoying Theon as he is pushed into a subserviant role. I think he'd want to be Robb's fellow king. A good ally and friend certainly but an equal nonetheless.
██████
██████
██████

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: The Larch on June 20, 2011, 04:46:59 PM
I always wondered why Yoren would pick them for the Night's Watch, as they seemed to be beyond redemption and dangerous wildcards.
Could have been a package deal.  "Take your choice of men from the dungeons, but you also have to take these three.  Good luck!"
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Larch

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on June 20, 2011, 04:57:36 PM
Quote from: The Larch on June 20, 2011, 04:46:59 PM
Could have been a package deal.  "Take your choice of men from the dungeons, but you also have to take these three.  Good luck!"

Theoretically Ned gave him the possibility of handpicking from the captives in the cells. Those three didn't seem to be exactly Night Watch material. The others were young kids and normal prisoners, but those three were in the Black Cells, they must have been guilty of something terrible in order to be there.

The Larch

Also, was the bard who got his tongue ripped the same one who travelled with Cat and Tyrion to the Vale?

Berkut

I've always kind of wondered what the Night's Watch was going to do with them once they got to the Wall.

They don't exactly seem redeemable...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josquius

Give them the really nasty wildling killing jobs?

IIRC I'm pretty sure the guy cleaned out the cells taking everyone he could.

I noticed how Jaqen (Or was it Jaqar...) had his face covered- he not cast yet?
██████
██████
██████

LaCroix

Quote from: The Larch on June 20, 2011, 04:59:26 PMTheoretically Ned gave him the possibility of handpicking from the captives in the cells. Those three didn't seem to be exactly Night Watch material. The others were young kids and normal prisoners, but those three were in the Black Cells, they must have been guilty of something terrible in order to be there.

did yoren arrive in king's landing with knowledge of the first minor zombie attack at the wall? that might explain it

Siege

Quote from: grumbler on June 20, 2011, 03:48:18 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 20, 2011, 03:31:00 PM
Indeed, Robb sends him home to seek an alliance with Greyjoy, not to ask or demand that Greyjoy submit to him, or to tell him that he is their new king.
But why wouldn't Robb want, and Theon offer, the loyalty and submission of the Iron Islands after Balon (who was getting on in years) died?  The Greyjoys had always (with the exception of a few months or years during their rebellion) been subject to kings.

Wasn't the king in Harrenhal from the Iron Islands?
Wasn't he a Greyjoy?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Josquius

Quote from: Siege on June 20, 2011, 06:27:23 PM
Quote from: grumbler on June 20, 2011, 03:48:18 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 20, 2011, 03:31:00 PM
Indeed, Robb sends him home to seek an alliance with Greyjoy, not to ask or demand that Greyjoy submit to him, or to tell him that he is their new king.
But why wouldn't Robb want, and Theon offer, the loyalty and submission of the Iron Islands after Balon (who was getting on in years) died?  The Greyjoys had always (with the exception of a few months or years during their rebellion) been subject to kings.

Wasn't the king in Harrenhal from the Iron Islands?
Wasn't he a Greyjoy?

Yes
No

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/House_Greyjoy

QuoteThe House descends from the legendary Grey King in the Age of Heroes. The Greyjoys became Lords Paramount of the Iron Isles after the Targaryen conquest, when Aegon I allowed the ironborn to choose who would have primacy over them. They chose Vickon Greyjoy and his line.
..so...in keeping with the viking democracy of the Iron Islands it seems they did used to be kings. But weren't at the time of the conquest.
██████
██████
██████

KRonn

Damn, but I'm not ready for the season to end ,and wait for next season to begin!

Anyone know the ratings for the series? How well it's doing among viewers?