And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on June 20, 2011, 08:34:19 AM
Quote from: Berkut on June 20, 2011, 08:18:21 AM
And besides, if she is of the dragon, and the flame cannot harm her, why could it harm her hair anyway?

That actually struck me as kind of weird in the book. She is immune to fire, but her hair isn't? What about her toenails? Are they immune, or not immune?

Kind of silly of course.
Yes, those are the kinds of questions that spring to mind when you aren't taking care to avoid silly thinking.  :D

Yeah, I know. But they make for amusing arguments.

If her hair was burnable because hair is inanimate/dead, then did the outer layer of her epidermis also burn off?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on June 20, 2011, 08:36:21 AM
Quote from: Berkut on June 20, 2011, 08:18:21 AM
And besides, if she is of the dragon, and the flame cannot harm her, why could it harm her hair anyway?

That actually struck me as kind of weird in the book. She is immune to fire, but her hair isn't? What about her toenails? Are they immune, or not immune?

Kind of silly of course.

I just thought it was more dramatic that way I wasn't thinking of the science involved :P

But it was just a minor thing.  No biggie.

Are you seriously suggesting that what drove the thinking of the author was something as pedestrian as the imagined drama of the scene, rather than the careful consideration of the science involved in Targaeryen fire immunity while burning witches?

There is a reason these books take so long to write, you know. And it isn't the author agonizing over something as trivial as the "drama" of a scene!

0 rows returned

Slargos

Considering the complexity of the plot in many movies and books, I sometimes wonder how much of it is deliberate by the author, and how much becomes second-hand conjecture. I read an article on Cracked that posited, for instance, that Chewbakka was actually an agent of the Rebellion all along and that while C3PO was mind-wiped, R2D2 was not and while the arrival of the Droid on Tatooine was coincidental, the placement of the Wookie was deliberate. It neatly ties together a couple of problems with the plot between the trilogy and the travesty (such as for instance why Chewbakka is a general in the prequels while he's a smuggler in the original), but it is doubtful that it was intended by Lucas.

I believe that while many plot twists are machinated by the author, it is more or less impossible to keep a consistent line in every detail, and things like the burning hair either needs to be "fixed" such as in the case of the TV series, or patched by way of explaining it after the fact either later in the books or as an aside to the extreme of the fanbois. Frankly, it's such a little point that it doesn't really merit much argument but small details are often important building blocks in large plot directions so while it may seem inconsequential there may be a larger agenda at work.

Or it's simply just a fuckup.

Dresden needs to get around somehow [to take an example from a series I just started reading where magic interrupts the function of technology by proximity], and if his car breaks down all the time a lot of work needs to be done just to get him to his destination and since it takes away from the story rather than add to it the rule of practicality needs to trump consistency. Sloppy writing, granted, but especially in the case of an author like Martin who's already too fucking slow for his own good perhaps shortcuts are necessary.

Solmyr

Well done episode. They gave Pycelle sexposition. :D Also the dragons' birth, which could have been very cheesy, was done very well. Seeing Dany with no hair on TV would not have worked, so I'm glad they omitted that detail.

Also, it's interesting that they already showed all of Arya's fellow travelers from CoK. I wonder if the same actors will remain for season 2.

Edit: Except Jaqen has his face covered with an overly large hood. Thus keeping wild theories alive.

The Larch

I could have done without Pycelle's post coital calysthenics, though.

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on June 20, 2011, 12:20:58 PM

But...that was the entire point of the scene right?  To show he is just pretending to be feeble and senile.  Roz is clearly a spy for...either LF or Varys or both...so Pycelle babbling on was done for their benefit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Was that Roz in with Pycelle?

Is she like the Forest Gump of whores?

0 rows returned

Josephus

At least he wasn't naked.

Now that whole bit wasn't in the book, right?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Berkut

Quote from: Josephus on June 20, 2011, 01:15:25 PM

Nope. Not sure were they are going with that, in fact. Given how much had to happen in this episode, I was a little surprised that they spent a few minutes in Pycelles bedroom.

0 rows returned

Slargos

Quote from: Berkut on June 20, 2011, 01:17:00 PM

Nope. Not sure were they are going with that, in fact. Given how much had to happen in this episode, I was a little surprised that they spent a few minutes in Pycelles bedroom.

:contract:

It's going somewhere.

Berkut

Quote from: Slargos on June 20, 2011, 01:19:53 PM

It's going somewhere.

I suspect it was "Oh shit, we haven't reached our tits/pussy shot quota for this episode yet!"

0 rows returned

Habbaku

Was there any nudity in episode 8?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Larch

Quote from: Berkut on June 20, 2011, 01:25:33 PM
Quote from: Slargos on June 20, 2011, 01:19:53 PM

It's going somewhere.

I suspect it was "Oh shit, we haven't reached our tits/pussy shot quota for this episode yet!"

We had Dany's boobies at the end of the episode.  :lol:

BTW, here's some Targaryen-Stark bonding as if they were in a Tommy Hillfiger ad:

The Larch

Solmyr

Quote from: Berkut on June 20, 2011, 01:25:33 PM

They didn't actually show Roz's tits or pussy in that scene, though, which is a first.