And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on June 15, 2011, 02:32:03 PM
Quote from: Martinus on June 15, 2011, 11:44:25 AM
Ned's best bet would have been to side with Renly. Unlike Littlefinger, he would have been unlikely to betray Ned, and with the money of Highgarden, he would stand a fair chance against the might of Casterly Rock. Plus Renly is a decent guy and would have probably been a decent King.
Would not Stannis still kill Renly though?  Adding more troops to his army wouldn't have mattered at all.  He had the largest army amongst the claimants already when he was killed.

That's like hindsight 200/200.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on June 15, 2011, 03:14:18 PM

Yep, he is playing by your rules.

Valmy

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on June 15, 2011, 02:32:03 PM
Quote from: Martinus on June 15, 2011, 11:44:25 AM
Ned's best bet would have been to side with Renly. Unlike Littlefinger, he would have been unlikely to betray Ned, and with the money of Highgarden, he would stand a fair chance against the might of Casterly Rock. Plus Renly is a decent guy and would have probably been a decent King.
Would not Stannis still kill Renly though?  Adding more troops to his army wouldn't have mattered at all.  He had the largest army amongst the claimants already when he was killed.

What if Renly had decided to find Dany and marry her instead of Margaery and then blasted Stannis with her dragons eh?  Eh?  Ned should have figured that into his calculations. :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sophie Scholl

"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 15, 2011, 03:16:41 PM

How's that? Renly's ties to Highgarden are well known, I thought.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on June 15, 2011, 04:01:34 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 15, 2011, 03:16:41 PM

How's that? Renly's ties to Highgarden are well known, I thought.

You are also ignoring Ned's knowledge as to his actual peril.  Based on what Ned believed to be true his plan made a lot of sense.  With hindsight we know everything he thought was true was in fact false and that is the basis upon which one may conceive that your plan is better.

Jaron

Ned thought the City Watch had his back. Thems like 5,000 men right there.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Habbaku

Oh, good, Jaron's back to give us his unique ability to count.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Scipio

I think that Martin gets a perverse joy in not killing Sansa, because he knows it pisses metric fucktons of people off.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Habbaku

Sansa pissed me off a lot in the early books, but she provides a valuable POV after a time.  Whether she'll actually prove to be something of a protagonist or not is the real question.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Scipio

Quote from: Habbaku on June 15, 2011, 07:53:42 PM
Sansa pissed me off a lot in the early books, but she provides a valuable POV after a time.  Whether she'll actually prove to be something of a protagonist or not is the real question.
Stupid bitches is stupid.  Yo.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Jaron

Quote from: Habbaku on June 15, 2011, 07:37:52 PM
Oh, good, Jaron's back to give us his unique ability to count.

No idea what you're talking about.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point