News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 15, 2011, 02:16:26 AM
Pasty = pale. Girl couldn't get any whiter.
In fact, now that I think about it you have to be trolling.

He means Nordic features rather than mere skintone.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 15, 2011, 03:51:20 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 15, 2011, 02:16:26 AM
Pasty = pale. Girl couldn't get any whiter.
In fact, now that I think about it you have to be trolling.

He means Nordic features rather than mere skintone.
He should say what he means. White = Light Skin Tone
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Slargos

Oh. I see where the misunderstanding lies.

In your mind, an albino nigger is white.  :hmm:

Martinus

Ok, to change the topic again from Slargos's racism...

Many people seem to be commenting how Jeoffrey's decision to have Ned executed proves how little control the other courtiers have on him, and it sure does shock (and is not welcome) by at least Cersei and Varys (I don't consider Pycelle to be a player, more of a pawn).

But... what if Jeoffrey was not acting out of his own idiocy, but was inspired to do so by Littlefinger? Surely, from Petyr Bealish's perspective, the execution of Ned is the best outcome possible - he gets his revenge and plunges the realm into certain civil war, in which he can thrive. Cui bono, and all that.

Josquius

Could be.
But I do like the idea of Joffrey showing off to the crowd, wanting to play with his big new toy of power.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Martinus on June 15, 2011, 05:28:20 AM

Many people seem to be commenting how Jeoffrey's decision to have Ned executed proves how little control the other courtiers have on him, and it sure does shock (and is not welcome) by at least Cersei and Varys (I don't consider Pycelle to be a player, more of a pawn).

But... what if Jeoffrey was not acting out of his own idiocy, but was inspired to do so by Littlefinger? Surely, from Petyr Bealish's perspective, the execution of Ned is the best outcome possible - he gets his revenge and plunges the realm into certain civil war, in which he can thrive. Cui bono, and all that.

I don't think that Littlefinger has a greater ascendancy over Joffrey than his own mother, not with all the "everyone who is not us is an enemy" attitude that Cersei instilled in him. His initial appointments are Lannisters, Tywyn as Hand and Jaime as Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, and his own comptent for the Starks was blatantly obvious from the beginning, so it's perfectly in character for him to have a go at Ned from his newfound power. It's not until Tyrion arrives to act as Hand on Tywyn's behalf that he's put in place and grownups take the reins of power back from him.

Martinus

Quote from: The Larch on June 15, 2011, 05:42:19 AM

I don't think that Littlefinger has a greater ascendancy over Joffrey than his own mother, not with all the "everyone who is not us is an enemy" attitude that Cersei instilled in him. His initial appointments are Lannisters, Tywyn as Hand and Jaime as Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, and his own comptent for the Starks was blatantly obvious from the beginning, so it's perfectly in character for him to have a go at Ned from his newfound power. It's not until Tyrion arrives to act as Hand on Tywyn's behalf that he's put in place and grownups take the reins of power back from him.

Having Ned executed is clearly something Joffrey enjoys doing, there's no question about it. That does not mean that he has not been encouraged to do so (and defy his mother) by Littlefinger - even if Cersei has theoretically greater control over him than Littlefinger does.

I was responding to people who wonder why Joffrey would find balls to do so against express wishes of his mother, not why he would do it at all.

Valmy

Littlefinger certainly has the motive and normally it would suite his methods but in this particular case I don't think so.  LF never had much influence over Joffrey.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Gups

And would never risk Joffrey telling his mum where he got the idea from.

Tamas

Quote from: Gups on June 15, 2011, 08:38:15 AM

yeah

Berkut

A very good point.

And really, Littlefinger is best at setting up situations that are bound to turn bad, and then just letting them do so, as opposed to actively engineering specific acts.

He knows that putting joffrey on the throne with an incompetent Cersei in charge is a recipe for disaster. Why risk trying to drive the result? The car is going over the cliff eventually anyway, no need to try to pick out which one and risk getting caught.

What I always wonder about Littlefinger is this:

Was his offer to side with Ned legitimate?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on June 15, 2011, 08:40:58 AM

yeah

That reminds me of the stratagem that Tyrion used to know who was feeding information to Cersei, when he told three different people (Pycelle, Varys and Littlefinger, IIRC) that he was agreeing to marry Mircella to a different guy each, and when Cersei flipped at him calling out specifically for the info he fed to Pycelle he knew that he was the rat.

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on June 15, 2011, 08:45:29 AM

Was his offer to side with Ned legitimate?

Well, he would had dragged Ned to be his "teammate" and jolly joker on a playing field where he has no match and Ned is as bad as it gets. So why not

Martinus

Quote from: The Larch on June 15, 2011, 08:47:18 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 15, 2011, 08:40:58 AM

yeah

That reminds me of the stratagem that Tyrion used to know who was feeding information to Cersei, when he told three different people (Pycelle, Varys and Littlefinger, IIRC) that he was agreeing to marry Mircella to a different guy each, and when Cersei flipped at him calling out specifically for the info he fed to Pycelle he knew that he was the rat.

That being said... Pycelle is the only one of the three without a vast network of informants. Perhaps Varys or Littlefinger found out what Tyrion told Pycelle. ;)

Valmy

Cersei sure treated Pycelle horribly considering all he went through in her service.  It is like being loyal to Commodus.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."