News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

The Lannister camp was huge.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

A lot of setup in this episode, not much resolution.

What's the relationship of Starkistan and the River Lords?

Habbaku

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 05, 2011, 11:18:51 PM
What's the relationship of Starkistan and the River Lords?

The Starks are the head family of the North and Ned's wife, Catelyn, is the daughter Hoster Tully who is head of the Riverlands.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Habbaku on June 05, 2011, 11:25:49 PM
The Starks are the head family of the North and Ned's wife, Catelyn, is the daughter Hoster Tully who is head of the Riverlands.

Is Tully fighting the Lannisters because of the succession issue, or do they have some other beef?  Or out of loyalty to the Starks?

Maximus

The hostilities started with Lannister dogs raiding the riverlands. At any rate it seems to have been expected that Tully would ally with Stark because of the marriage, just as it was expected of house Arryn.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maximus on June 05, 2011, 11:50:08 PM
The hostilities started with Lannister dogs raiding the riverlands. At any rate it seems to have been expected that Tully would ally with Stark because of the marriage, just as it was expected of house Arryn.

Oh right, that's the weeping peasants and their fish, right?  So that predates the succession issue.  Were the Lannisters trying for straight up conquest there, or some other game?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 05, 2011, 11:52:36 PM

Oh right, that's the weeping peasants and their fish, right?  So that predates the succession issue.  Were the Lannisters trying for straight up conquest there, or some other game?
Catelyn Stark kidnapped Tyrion Lannister. Catelyn was originally a Tully. The Tully's have been close allies of the Starks since that marriage. That's why they were attacked.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Queequeg

Damn. Anyone notice how badly Snow was hurt by the flame?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 06, 2011, 12:23:33 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 05, 2011, 11:52:36 PM

Catelyn Stark kidnapped Tyrion Lannister. Catelyn was originally a Tully. The Tully's have been close allies of the Starks since that marriage. That's why they were attacked.

Yup. And Riverlands are the easiest pick of the three for Lannisters (since the Arryn stronghold is thought impregnable and Winterfell is too far North whereas Riverlands border Westerlands, owned by Lannisters). Plus if Lannisters control Riverlands (or, more specifically, The Twins - the castle held by the Tully's bannermen, the Freys), they control the only safe passage from the North into the South - Moat Cailin.

Berkut

Pretty decent episiode.

Could have been better if the meeting between Tyrion and Tywin had shown a little more what a man of the earth Tywin is - maybe he could have been hoeing the peas or something like that.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Solmyr

So they did not show Syrio dying, in an episode written by GRRM. Let the conspiracy theories run loose.

Also, Hodor dong.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Solmyr on June 06, 2011, 08:00:50 AM
So they did not show Syrio dying, in an episode written by GRRM. Let the conspiracy theories run loose.

Yeah, that's one conspiracy theory I can get behind.

1 Karma Chameleon point

The Larch

Do the Stark bannermen appear in this episode? And the Hill tribes? Are manhoods threatened to be cut off and fed to the goats?

The Larch

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 06, 2011, 08:07:55 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on June 06, 2011, 08:00:50 AM

Yeah, that's one conspiracy theory I can get behind.

That's a fan favourite, apparently, but I've read some convincing explanations about how it's not really possible. They deal mostly with the fact that Syrio *had* to be a very well established character in the court in order to get hired as Arya's "dancing instructor". He also gives a lot of background about himself which would jeopardize his position if it was proved to be made up, and very little time pass from Syrio exiting the scene and Jaquen entering, as theoretically he had been in the black dungeons for a while. If Syrio and Jaquen are the same dude, that plan was long in the making.

Solmyr

Quote from: The Larch on June 06, 2011, 08:12:39 AM
Do the Stark bannermen appear in this episode? And the Hill tribes? Are manhoods threatened to be cut off and fed to the goats?

Yes on all three.

As for Jaqen, he apparently moves on to impersonating an Oldtown alchemist in aFfC, so whatever his plan is, it must be pretty complex with many phases.