And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 29, 2011, 11:09:35 PM
Nice ending, I liked.

Ned's a bit thick-headed isn't he?  Surely a normal person would have asked himself what angle the pimpmeister as playing?

And being one of Ned's personal retainers gives you about the same life expectancy as a red shirted security officer on Star Trek.

Thick headed but he was able to figure out that Robert's children were actually the product of Jaime and his sister pretty quickly, just because they were blonde.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Siege

What were Ned's choices?
1- Follow littleflinger counsel and recognize Jeofrey, marry Sansa to him and make peace with the Lannisters.
2- Support Renly and cut the Queen's head before the Lannisters could react.
3- Leave everything and ride for the North and the walls of Winterfell.
4- Proclaim Stannis as the rightfull heir and die, since nobody suppported Stannis at court.

Do you think making peace with the Lannisters would work? I can see Tywin using this peace to rally all the houses from the South and march North and besiege Winterfell. Renly had only a few dudes at the capital. He would have had to take the Queen by surprise, which is not Ned's style. The Lannisters would always outbid any propousal for the loyalty of the Gold guard.

I think his safest bet was to ride for the North without chosing sides, and let the southrons fight it out between themselves. Ned could have easily rally The Eyrie and The Riverlands to his cause while the Lannister were dealing with Renly and Stannis.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Grey Fox

Ned's an idiot. He should have recognize that the Whore King actually has agenda with all is dealings.

But Ned's not use to this. That's not how things are in the North.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Solmyr

Quote from: Siege on May 30, 2011, 10:59:20 AM
I think his safest bet was to ride for the North without chosing sides, and let the southrons fight it out between themselves. Ned could have easily rally The Eyrie and The Riverlands to his cause while the Lannister were dealing with Renly and Stannis.

Which is pretty much what Robb did afterwards. That worked well. :P Granted, Ned's wouldn't have let his dick lose the war.

Viking

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 30, 2011, 11:15:33 AM
Ned's an idiot. He should have recognize that the Whore King actually has agenda with all is dealings.

In the North the pack sticks together, because, Winter is Coming, and when winter comes the lone wolf dies. I don't think Ned really understands anybody who would risk the safety of the pack (in this case Westeros) for personal gain. To him even enemies (like Arthur Dayne) are packmates. That is why he tries to save Cersei, Joffrey, Tommen and Myrcella from Roberts wrath.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Grey Fox

That's good explanation to everything that seems to have happened so far.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Siege

Quote from: Viking on May 30, 2011, 11:31:48 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 30, 2011, 11:15:33 AM

In the North the pack sticks together, because, Winter is Coming, and when winter comes the lone wolf dies. I don't think Ned really understands anybody who would risk the safety of the pack (in this case Westeros) for personal gain. To him even enemies (like Arthur Dayne) are packmates. That is why he tries to save Cersei, Joffrey, Tommen and Myrcella from Roberts wrath.

However, in the North you have those dudes from the Dreadfort, the Boltons, I believe.
They don't appear to think like Ned.

Siege

Quote from: Solmyr on May 30, 2011, 11:18:19 AM

Which is pretty much what Robb did afterwards. That worked well. :P Granted, Ned's wouldn't have let his dick lose the war.

I think Ned would have had a lot more pull rallying the North and their allies.
How many troops did the Eyrie contibuted to Robb's army?
Would the Freys have dared to do to Ned what they did to Robb?
Probably yes. Ned was as much a retard as Robb.
I think Ned would have had more support outside the North, though.
And Ned would have sided with Stannis, since he didn't have any desire to become King In The North.

Viking

Quote from: Siege on May 30, 2011, 12:53:04 PM

1 - The Blackfish. Nuff said.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

Quote from: Siege on May 30, 2011, 12:53:04 PM
Quote from: Solmyr on May 30, 2011, 11:18:19 AM

Would the Freys have dared to do to Ned what they did to Robb?
Probably yes. Ned was as much a retard as Robb.
I think Ned would have had more support outside the North, though.
And Ned would have sided with Stannis, since he didn't have any desire to become King In The North.

The Freys wouldn't have a reason to do what they did to Robb since Ned wouldn't have offended them the way Robb did.

Sophie Scholl

Although if part of the alliance terms were for Robb to marry a Frey as they were in the actual timeline, he still might have ruined the Alliance by having the exact same thing occur.  Just because Ned is King in the North/Lord doesn't mean Robb wouldn't be able to f things up still.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Siege

Have you ever wondered how good would you do in Westeros?

I think I wouldn't have last long.
I tend to embrace a cause and then see it through to the end.
So for me it all comes to choosing the right side from the very begining, since I will not change sides no matter what.
Of course, by the right side I mean the winning side.
We all know rightness is in the eyes of the beholder.

But then, in real life I did not choose a side.
All those decissions were made for me before I was born.

So I guess in Westeros it would as well come down to in which I house I was born and to whom I was sworn to serve.

Here I despise the Lannisters, but had I been born in a House serving the Lannisters, first I would not know about all the schemmings and adultery of Cersei, and second If I did I would have assumed it was Stannis' propaganda machine. So I can see myself riding under the golden lion on a crimsom field banner, as easily as under any other banner.

Was Tywin Lannister a good lord? Well, he rewarded his loyal supporters and punished his enemies. Not too diferent from the Starks from the point of view of the lower houses.

In the end, can anybody name a historical person that was as suppossedly righteous as Ned Stark in medieval times?

Siege

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on May 30, 2011, 04:39:37 PM
Although if part of the alliance terms were for Robb to marry a Frey as they were in the actual timeline, he still might have ruined the Alliance by having the exact same thing occur.  Just because Ned is King in the North/Lord doesn't mean Robb wouldn't be able to f things up still.

Yeah. I think Ned and Robb were living up to the wrong standard.
As a knight or men-at-arms, loyalty and righteouness are indeed the highest virtues, but as the leader of a region you are making desicions that affect the entire realm. I can clearly see that I have two diferent sets of answers for the same questions depending of how high in the feudal heriarchy I am. For a knight or man-at-arms the consequences of the answers to the moral questions are limited to relatively few people.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Siege on May 30, 2011, 04:45:48 PM
In the end, can anybody name a historical person that was as suppossedly righteous as Ned Stark in medieval times?

Louis IX was the model for the pious, chivalrous leader who made bad decisions (both crusades).
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Siege

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 31, 2011, 10:22:00 AM
Quote from: Siege on May 30, 2011, 04:45:48 PM

Louis IX was the model for the pious, chivalrous leader who made bad decisions (both crusades).

OK, besides St Louis.