News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 23, 2011, 02:34:59 PM
I liked the scene where the one dude threw the strumpet a dubloon for one last look at her cookie.

It was a golden dragon. Or a silver stag.  :secret:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on May 23, 2011, 02:37:08 PM
It was a golden dragon. Or a silver stag.  :secret:

:hmm:

No, pretty sure she's a natural readhead.

Solmyr

Renly seems a lot angstier than in the books.

And moaning about people dying while boning one of the best knights in Westeros (whose job is to make people die) doesn't fly.

Valmy

Quote from: Solmyr on May 23, 2011, 02:54:48 PM

And moaning about people dying while boning one of the best knights in Westeros (whose job is to make people die) doesn't fly.

I thought idea that this was his justification for wanting to take over.  He would run things better.

Of course his claim to Cat in ACOK that his huge army was all the legitimacy he needed sorta flies in the face of this idea.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

I thought that in the books he is said to be more "caring about the people" but this is never really shown, so I guess they are using it in the tv series in the "director's cut scenes".

Martinus

Quote from: Solmyr on May 23, 2011, 02:54:48 PM

You would be surprised about political views and life stances of people I was in love with. Just sayin'.

People fall in love with people much different from themselves, doubly (quadruply?) so when you have a limited number of potential paramours in a not exactly accepting society.

Solmyr

Quote from: Martinus on May 23, 2011, 03:00:41 PM
I thought that in the books he is said to be more "caring about the people" but this is never really shown, so I guess they are using it in the tv series in the "director's cut scenes".

I don't remember him being mentioned as particularly caring. He's said to be able to make friends easily, and is popular because of this, which causes him to consider himself a better candidate for kingship than the unloved Stannis.

Josquius

The hunting looked woefully lame.

QuoteRenly seems a lot angstier than in the books.

He's a knight in a peaceful time. A tournament knight pretty much. More akin to a superstar footballer than a soldier.

Renly being caring: it has been said that the people love him for sure. Not so sure this is because he's caring though, more just that he is charismatic. He does strike me as the sort who went riding through a town would throw a bunch of coins behind him just to make people like him though.
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

LOL yeah. Two things I thought:

1. Kings don't go hunting in a company of four.

2. Gold does not melt and/or soldify that fast.

:P

Viking

The Hunting scene established certain things.

- Renly has a different personality and view of ruling as his brother Robert
- They hunt boar with spear on foot alone
- Robert hunts while drunk
- Barristan the Bold is at Roberts side during the hunting

now they can have Robert return injured from the Kingswood.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

Quote from: Viking on May 23, 2011, 04:19:29 PM
The Hunting scene established certain things.

- Renly has a different personality and view of ruling as his brother Robert
- They hunt boar with spear on foot alone
- Robert hunts while drunk
- Barristan the Bold is at Roberts side during the hunting

now they can have Robert return injured from the Kingswood.

I know. The scenes are all very rich in "context". If anything, the show is at fault in having scenes so full of "context" and "exposition", it becomes a bit ridiculous (e.g. Littlefinger explaining stuff at the tournament, the hunt or Loras plotting between slurps and shaves).

Josquius

Quote from: Martinus on May 23, 2011, 04:13:31 PM
LOL yeah. Two things I thought:

1. Kings don't go hunting in a company of four.

2. Gold does not melt and/or soldify that fast.

:P

The gold thing I forgave as it was necessary for pacing. We'd be waiting a while with Varys screaming if we wanted it in real time, or have to cut away somewhere else for a while thus ruining the scene.

But yes on the hunting. Couldn't they have thrown in a few extras? It just looked so....fake. Having those four guys walking along through the forest in their normal clothes.

I know. The scenes are all very rich in "context". If anything, the show is at fault in having scenes so full of "context" and "exposition", it becomes a bit ridiculous (e.g. Littlefinger explaining stuff at the tournament, the hunt or Loras plotting between slurps and shaves).
Littlefinger saying to Ned today 'Fish, aren't they the Tully symbol? Tully...that's your wife's house isn't it?"
He may have said this in the book too...but still. A bit artificial.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Would it be out of character though for Littlefinger to say that to Ned? It's sort of like him being a smart ass.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Larch

Just watched the 6th and 7th in a row. Damn I'm psyched.

Grallon

The 7th is supposed to be aired in the 29th - where did you get it?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel