News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

The series has already diverted from the books in some things and the fandom hasn't cringed...that I know.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on May 18, 2011, 04:03:45 PM
I can figure who's who by myself.

Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall

Habbaku

Do you think someone fucking his own sister and throwing a boy from, oh a 20ft high tower, all in the first episode, can have any redeeming qualities written for this show?  Is it usually the bad guys or the good guys that tend to live long and prosper?

:lol:

Read the books.

Also, here's a hint : the "good guy" ranks aren't exactly filled with enlightened balls of light.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: The Larch on May 18, 2011, 04:11:15 PM
The series has already diverted from the books in some things and the fandom hasn't cringed...that I know.

What has it diverted from?  Some scenes have been added, but the story hasn't changed.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Dont know about Fandom but I have.

Slargos

Quote from: viper37 on May 18, 2011, 04:09:44 PM
Quote from: Slargos on May 18, 2011, 02:14:19 PM
That he misses some major ones certainly shouldn't be surprising since he hasn't actually read the books.  :hmm:
I'll come to it, given time :)
I want to see what's really different from the tv show.

At some point, someone here is gonna come and say "this is ridiculous, the author never intended X to be portrayed like that, I thought he was more like "Y" or something like "I hate ghosts killing people, they are ridiculous even if they are not green".

See, I can even read into the future now :P

[grumbbaku]No, no one will say that. There are no ghosts in this series, green or otherwise.[/grumbbaku]

The Larch

Quote from: Habbaku on May 18, 2011, 04:12:50 PM

What has it diverted from?  Some scenes have been added, but the story hasn't changed.

Cersei is a way more sympathetic character in the series, for starters. Jaime also seems to display a more affectionate character. Those two were irredeemeable in the books at this point, while they're more nuanced in the series.

Besides that there's the Renly-Loras thingie, which was dealt with with the subtlety of a sledgehammer, when there were readers that still didn't get their thing from the books.

The Larch

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 18, 2011, 04:13:05 PM

Dont know about Fandom but I have.

About what?

Slargos

:D

Might as well have thrown a Pride! parade in there.  :homestar:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: viper37 on May 18, 2011, 12:32:25 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on May 18, 2011, 11:55:52 AM
I'm really digging this show. never read the books, though now I guess I'll have to.
since before or after the gay scene?  :P

Seriously, you don't need to read the books.  After 5 shows, I know where this is going and I haven't read the books:
Robert will be killed by his wife, civil war will ensue, all current protagonists will be killed over the course of the war, the victorious side won't be for long.
The Wildlings will wage some form of semi war in the north against the barbarians beyond the gate.
The nightwatch is undermanned and underfunded, so it will crumble.
The Eastern princess will re-awaken her dragon eggs somehow and use the dragons to forge an empire in the east.
Once it's done, she'll invade the West lands, pick a fight with whatever force is left and eventually marry Robert's bastard son, the blacksmith to sit on the throne and unite the realm.

Easy to predict.  Still a good show.
Meh, some of this is correct, and some not. Read and find out.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on May 18, 2011, 02:06:17 PM
well except the "White Walkers" they are sorta important.
I thought they would be, but someone here said we would never see them again.

Yes we do, and the wildlings do march south.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Scipio

Evil will always triumph in Martin's world, because good people are only good because they are dumb.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

viper37

Quote from: Habbaku on May 18, 2011, 04:12:17 PM
Also, here's a hint : the "good guy" ranks aren't exactly filled with enlightened balls of light.
Well, characters aren't unidimensional so far, but the Lannisters are hard to like and pity.

I'll get on these books as soon as I finish the Star Wars ones :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 18, 2011, 06:19:22 PM

Now, that's more like it :)  Someone was playing me for a fool  :mad:
Can't be bothered to look back who it was though.

These things, do we know what they are exactly?  The people they killed, how did they bring them back to life, zombie-style?

If they come from the North, they must be resistant to cold but allergic to fire... hmm, I wonder if the dragons won't play a part in their ultimate demise...

@Scipio:
Well, the way I see it, Evil was already defeated some millenia ago (1000 years?), and I suppose they thought it'd be a good idea to build some huge wall of ice right there to prevent them from coming back.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: viper37 on May 18, 2011, 08:46:39 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 18, 2011, 06:19:22 PM

Now, that's more like it :)  Someone was playing me for a fool  :mad:
Can't be bothered to look back who it was though.

These things, do we know what they are exactly?  The people they killed, how did they bring them back to life, zombie-style?
Well the wildlings did march south so we know a lot about them, about the White Walkers we've seen little of them, so don't know much beyond that they're scary and evil.

1 Karma Chameleon point