News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

Quote from: Berkut on May 18, 2011, 02:09:09 PM
Yeah, he kind of hit on some of the main plot points, but missed on some major ones. Almost as if he read a summary somewhere. Not that he would do that, of course, just to come on languish and preen about how brilliant he is for knowing everything that is going to happen in the future because he is so fucking smart...

I've never known Viper to be that level of douche, so I'm going to assume that he simply did what he said: watch the show and extrapolate future events based on empirical knowledge of story telling and the hints given so far in the story.

That he misses some major ones certainly shouldn't be surprising since he hasn't actually read the books.  :hmm:

Slargos

Quote from: Habbaku on May 18, 2011, 02:11:34 PM
Even though most of his predictions are wrong...

Well, not to be contrarian, but are they "Earth is flat and if you sail far enough you'll fall off the end" wrong or simply "earth is perfectly spherical" wrong?

For instance, while Cersei doesn't physically inflict the wound, she certainly has a hand in its dealing.

Berkut

Quote from: Slargos on May 18, 2011, 02:14:19 PM
Yeah, he kind of hit on some of the main plot points, but missed on some major ones. Almost as if he read a summary somewhere. Not that he would do that, of course, just to come on languish and preen about how brilliant he is for knowing everything that is going to happen in the future because he is so fucking smart...

I've never known Viper to be that level of douche, so I'm going to assume that he simply did what he said: watch the show and extrapolate future events based on empirical knowledge of story telling and the hints given so far in the story.

That he misses some major ones certainly shouldn't be surprising since he hasn't actually read the books.  :hmm:

It isn't really that high a douchey level, pretty low really for languish.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Slargos on May 18, 2011, 02:08:22 PM
I don't understand this brand association.

So he doesn't want to read the books? So what? [and yes, I know he says he was kidding, but for the sake of argument...]

I was only objecting to how and why he was telling Buddha not to.  I was not telling Viper he should read them or anybody else for that matter if they do not like the series or the books.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Slargos

Quote from: Berkut on May 18, 2011, 02:28:11 PM

It isn't really that high a douchey level, pretty low really for languish.

Well.

Reading the Wiki and then pretending to have reasoned it out on his own is a level of stupidity that I don't really consider for most Languishites. Perhaps Jaron or FB would lead me to consider it, but this? What would be the point?

"Hah, I'm going to use a cheat-sheet but get the answers intentionally wrong enough that I still look mildly clever. PROFIT!"

Really... point?

The Brain

Let's not argue about who's the biggest douche on Languish.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

Quote from: The Brain on May 18, 2011, 02:56:40 PM

Yeah, that cannot end well.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

There is no point.  It is blatantly obvious who it is after all.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

ulmont

Quote from: Valmy on May 18, 2011, 02:59:22 PM

:yes:

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on May 18, 2011, 02:59:22 PM

No contest.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Larch

I think that that kind of predictions really miss a lot of the issues. It's not as much about the final destination as about the trip there. In the big picture some storyline might go one way or the other, but what happens in the lifes of the characters is as important or even more important than the fact that faction X wins or loses.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on May 18, 2011, 02:06:17 PM
well except the "White Walkers" they are sorta important.
I thought they would be, but someone here said we would never see them again.

@Berkut:
Do you think someone fucking his own sister and throwing a boy from, oh a 20ft high tower, all in the first episode, can have any redeeming qualities written for this show?  Is it usually the bad guys or the good guys that tend to live long and prosper?

I can figure who's who by myself.

Maybe it's because I watched the first four episodes in 2 days instead of 4 weeks, that tends to make a better impression of what's happenning.

I'm still a little confused about all these characters, who's the son of who and who's a bastard or an ally or an ennemy or who is really sane or is not.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Slargos

You'll be surprised, I think, even if you believe you've got it all figured out.  :D

The Larch

Quote from: viper37 on May 18, 2011, 04:03:45 PM
@Berkut:
Do you think someone fucking his own sister and throwing a boy from, oh a 20ft high tower, all in the first episode, can have any redeeming qualities written for this show?

You'd be amazed.

viper37

I'll come to it, given time :)
I want to see what's really different from the tv show.

At some point, someone here is gonna come and say "this is ridiculous, the author never intended X to be portrayed like that, I thought he was more like "Y" or something like "I hate ghosts killing people, they are ridiculous even if they are not green".

See, I can even read into the future now :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.