News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

At least Martin managed to pick a title that wasn't self-contradictory.

No, wait...
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

Quote from: viper37 on May 18, 2011, 12:32:25 PM
since before or after the gay scene?  :P

This is a fully spoiled zone so I will spoiler away.

Seriously, you don't need to read the books.  After 5 shows, I know where this is going and I haven't read the books:
Robert will be killed by his wife,
No.
civil war will ensue,
Well duh, read the title
Quote from: viper37 on May 18, 2011, 12:32:25 PMall current protagonists will be killed over the course of the war,
No
Quote from: viper37 on May 18, 2011, 12:32:25 PMthe victorious side won't be for long.
duh
The Wildlings will wage some form of semi war in the north against the barbarians beyond the gate.
No
The nightwatch is undermanned and underfunded, so it will crumble.
No
The Eastern princess will re-awaken her dragon eggs somehow and use the dragons to forge an empire in the east.
Dragons remain nothing more than curiosities
Once it's done, she'll invade the West lands, pick a fight with whatever force is left and eventually marry Robert's bastard son, the blacksmith to sit on the throne and unite the realm.
Books haven't got that far, but duh.

Easy to predict.  Still a good show.

2 out of 7 with the last one still unknown.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Slargos

Working from limited knowledge, those were pretty good predictions, and while not exactly 100% accurate they were certainly more or less in the ball park.

My leather bushman hat is off to you, Viper.

Valmy

Quote from: Slargos on May 18, 2011, 01:33:16 PM
Working from limited knowledge, those were pretty good predictions, and while not exactly 100% accurate they were certainly more or less in the ball park.

If he was merely guessing and not being a tremendous tool insisting there is no reason to read the books because of his brilliance I would agree.

But he is a tool so too bad :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on May 18, 2011, 01:26:27 PM
At least Martin managed to pick a title that wasn't self-contradictory.

No, wait...

:lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on May 18, 2011, 01:26:15 PM
And at least Tolstoy finished the damn thing.

Wait were we saying ASoIaF is better than War and Peace or something?

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on May 18, 2011, 12:53:28 PM
Someone read wiki and thinks that makes them clever. Cute.
I did not read anything on the show, actually, except the premises when I first heard about it.  Oh, and the description for the next two episodes.

It's kinda clear where this is going on, with all the "subtle" hints we were told on the show.  Especially after the open attack from Jaime on Ned Stark, you know it's going to end badly.  Robert won't take kindly on such attack on his friend even if he disagress with him, and the Imp is too clever to die just yet.  The Queen and her brother certainly won't let go of their power if the King makes a move against them or threatens to.

And they wouldn't introduce a wannabe Queen in the East with dragon eggs turned to stone - yet strangely glow near candles - just so she sits there for the next 40 years and dies of old age.

I don't need a wiki for that.

The only thing I tought would happen and won't, according to comments here, was a march south from the Wildlings.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on May 18, 2011, 01:55:30 PM
It's kinda clear where this is going on, with all the "subtle" hints we were told on the show.  Especially after the open attack from Jaime on Ned Stark, you know it's going to end badly.  Robert won't take kindly on such attack on his friend even if he disagress with him, and the Imp is too clever to die just yet.  The Queen and her brother certainly won't let go of their power if the King makes a move against them or threatens to.

And they wouldn't introduce a wannabe Queen in the East with dragon eggs turn to stone - yet strangely glow near candles - just so she sits there for the next 40 years and dies of old age.

Things are alot more bluntly obvious in the show than they are in the books because, well, it is a TV show.

I just do not get why this makes reading the books not worthwhile.  They are very enjoyable.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on May 18, 2011, 01:37:23 PM
Quote from: Slargos on May 18, 2011, 01:33:16 PM

If he was merely guessing and not being a tremendous tool insisting there is no reason to read the books because of his brilliance I would agree.

But he is a tool so too bad :(
I'm not insisting on anything.  I'm guessing what's coming on based on what I've seen so far.  Not reading the books was more of a joke, I own them, I bought them this week.
I can usually guess where a movie is going after a few minutes, I just don't know how they reach that point.  Same thing with the tv show. 

You know, it's like watching Babylon 5.  You know at some point the human captain is going to defeat the Shadows with an alliance of alien races old&new.  You just don't know how he achieves it.

And I suppose the nudity scenes are better on tv than in the books :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on May 18, 2011, 01:59:31 PM
I just do not get why this makes reading the books not worthwhile.  They are very enjoyable.
Grumbler told me not to read it in the book's thread :P

viper37

Quote from: Viking on May 18, 2011, 01:30:28 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 18, 2011, 12:32:25 PMall current protagonists will be killed over the course of the war,
No
Pity.  I would have killed all the Lannisters after 1 or 2 shows :P

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on May 18, 2011, 02:01:11 PM
I'm not insisting on anything.  I'm guessing what's coming on based on what I've seen so far.  Not reading the books was more of a joke, I own them, I bought them this week.
I can usually guess where a movie is going after a few minutes, I just don't know how they reach that point.  Same thing with the tv show. 

Ah ok.  That is just what you said but sometimes irony does not translate well on this medium.

I have no idea how correct you are on most of that stuff btw since most of it has not happened yet in the book series.  In fact you missed many of the main plot elements but since most of them still have not been introduced yet in the TV series that is understandable...well except the "White Walkers" they are sorta important.

Slargos

Quote from: Valmy on May 18, 2011, 01:59:31 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 18, 2011, 01:55:30 PM

And they wouldn't introduce a wannabe Queen in the East with dragon eggs turn to stone - yet strangely glow near candles - just so she sits there for the next 40 years and dies of old age.

Things are alot more bluntly obvious in the show than they are in the books because, well, it is a TV show.

I don't understand this brand association.

So he doesn't want to read the books? So what? [and yes, I know he says he was kidding, but for the sake of argument...]

That doesn't diminish your enjoyment of them.

I could say that I feel a great anger at Martin for ruining many hours of my life by printing such feces on paper that you can't even use it to wipe your ass because it's already saturated. Wouldn't change your enjoyment of them one bit.

Berkut

Yeah, he kind of hit on some of the main plot points, but missed on some major ones. Almost as if he read a summary somewhere. Not that he would do that, of course, just to come on languish and preen about how brilliant he is for knowing everything that is going to happen in the future because he is so fucking smart...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

Even though most of his predictions are wrong...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien